hp48G & Connecting to PC
04-27-2014, 04:38 PM
hp48G & Connecting to PC
Hello:

I bought the connection kit & software rec'd to me on here a while back. The 48GX is plugged into the PC & the software is running but the PC does not rec the 48 which is plugged into it via USB.

I THINK I need Xmodem, but i don't really know. Am having trouble understanding it.

using the HP Connectivity software that came with the cable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-27-2014, 05:07 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2014 05:08 PM by HP67.)
RE: hp48G & Connecting to PC
I don't think USB support was available "stock" on a 48. Are you using a serial-USB converter or a special cable that connects the 48's 4 pin serial to a USB port on your PC? If the latter, it probably needs special drivers.

Is it possible you are using stuff that may have been designed for the 49/50g?

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
04-27-2014, 05:16 PM
Right there is a drivers disc. This package by Teknovo Uno was rec'd to me on this board. The company is a bit unresponsive & wading through all of the text is cumbersome.

But i know it is being used by people here so I am hoping for some pointers.

John
04-27-2014, 05:17 PM
Here is the vendor

http://myteknovo.com/index.htm
04-27-2014, 10:15 PM
(04-27-2014 05:16 PM)John W Kercheval Wrote:  Right there is a drivers disc. This package by Teknovo Uno was rec'd to me on this board. The company is a bit unresponsive & wading through all of the text is cumbersome.

But i know it is being used by people here so I am hoping for some pointers.

John

Assuming the connection kit software you are using is Connectivity Kit 4 (I have version 2.3 Build 2439) you CAN get a 48GX (but not SX) to work using XMODEM. ConnKit4 includes an XMODEM library for the 48GX, but you need to follow a specific procedure to download the XMODEM Library to the 48GX.

Once downloaded (see below) you need to install the library by normal process and thereafter, you get the GX ready to receive commands from ConnKit4 by using the XSERV function in the XMODEM library (this is the functional equivalent of using the built-in Kermit Server mode, but needed to talk XMODEM to ConnKit4).

To load the XMODEM Library:

Connect the cable, then in ConnKit4, in the File Menu, select "Download HP48 Server (Manual-XRCV)" then follow the instructions exactly. It's a bit strange, but it does work if you follow it precisely. Basically, you're manually downloading the XMODEM library using Kermit send and receive commands, which downloads into the variable "X", which you then install as a library.

Good luck!

--Bob Prosperi
04-27-2014, 10:32 PM
Bob:

Thanks. let me try i may have more questions
04-27-2014, 10:33 PM
No not following. i do not think i have Xmodem. What EXACTLY do I do on the 48GX? The PC does not seem to be recognizing it
04-27-2014, 10:54 PM (This post was last modified: 04-27-2014 10:59 PM by rprosperi.)
(04-27-2014 10:33 PM)John W Kercheval Wrote:  No not following. i do not think i have Xmodem. What EXACTLY do I do on the 48GX? The PC does not seem to be recognizing it

Are you using ConnKit4?

ConnnKit has the XMODEM library for your 48GX. Follow the procedure at the bottom of my above post and that will download XMODEM into your GX. After the library is installed, you put your GX into XMODEM server mode like this:

1. [RS][2] - This runs the Library command which lists your installed libraries
2. Press the F-key that aligns with the XSRVR library. Note you may have to press the [NXT] key to see the XSRVR library if you have many librabries loaded.
3. Press F1 that aligns with the XSERV function - this puts the GX into XMODEM server mode, waiting for commands from ConnKit4

Once in server mode, on ConnKit4 click Connect in the File menu -or- click the button just to the right of the Speed drop-down list control on the toolbar.

Once connected you can transfer files via drag-n-drop, etc.

--Bob Prosperi
04-28-2014, 12:21 AM
Bob:

ok I'll try it. And, thanks, in case you have not figured it out, I'm an idiot, which makes most things in life very challenging!

John
05-01-2014, 01:23 PM
Ok that did not work. i get the error:

Unable to open communications to: Auto

I do not think the PC is seeking the calc.
05-01-2014, 01:28 PM
When I try to Connect on the PC side it gives me commands that do not lead to Xserver.
05-01-2014, 11:36 PM
You may need to try a different USB Serial device or find a different serial device to verify that its not your USB Serial device.

BTW, I've always had good look with just Kermit:

Code:

C-Kermit>set line com4:
C-Kermit>set speed 9600
C-Kermit>set carrier off
C-Kermit>set parity none
C-Kermit>robust
C-Kermit>server
05-02-2014, 11:47 AM
The serial device is not the issue.

The issue is (most likely) that I am NOT setting the calculator up properly to act as the receiver.
05-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Bob Prosperi:

I think here is the problem, you wrote:

3. Press F1 that aligns with the XSERV function - this puts the GX into XMODEM server mode, waiting for commands from ConnKit4

I do not have XSERV as an option!

John
05-02-2014, 12:02 PM
Is there some other way to do this? Like via the IO menu??
05-02-2014, 12:56 PM
(05-02-2014 12:01 PM)John W Kercheval Wrote:  I do not have XSERV as an option!

John:

The GX does NOT come with XMODEM built in, but you can add an XMODEM library, which is included with ConnKit4. Post #5 above explains how to download the library using CK4's manual procedure. Try following this procedure and it will give you the XMODEM commands (like XSERV) you need.

HTH

--Bob Prosperi
05-02-2014, 01:01 PM
(05-02-2014 12:56 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(05-02-2014 12:01 PM)John W Kercheval Wrote:  I do not have XSERV as an option!

John:

The GX does NOT come with XMODEM built in, but you can add an XMODEM library, which is included with ConnKit4. Post #5 above explains how to download the library using CK4's manual procedure. Try following this procedure and it will give you the XMODEM commands (like XSERV) you need.

HTH

The GX _does_ come with XMODEM built in, but not an XMODEM _server_ -- something required for connecting with Conn4x. You don't actually have to have a server on the HP48 GX, though. Conn4x gives you the option to manually download files onto your calculator (the same method that is used to download the server library can be used to download any program).

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
05-02-2014, 01:11 PM
Yes i did that BUT I get that error that the calc is not connected.

I must connect the calc to download the pgms but I cannot connect the calc.
05-02-2014, 05:06 PM
Yes THAT is the issue pressing right shift then lib does not yield an Xserve option. I tried it on all three of my 48Gs- same thing, nothing there.
05-02-2014, 05:22 PM
This SEEMS to be the way to go:

Start the download Manual Xserv on the PC

Then 'ALPHA X
Then Lshif I/O Xrecv

Then it SEEMS to work but after 2 mins I get a transfer error.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)