NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
08-25-2023, 10:58 PM (This post was last modified: 08-25-2023 11:00 PM by johnb.)
RE: NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
(08-21-2023 05:26 PM)Peet Wrote:  The part that ends up in the trash (packaging) doesn't have to be particularly pretty and increase the price accordingly. Functional is better for me at this point.

Well, yeah, Peet, ya got me there! I fully agree.

OTOH, they could have offered two options:
  • Plain packaging at a reduced cost.
  • Or the super-ultra-deluxe option, which might come with an HP-45 style retro hard case, leather-bound manuals and carrying pouch, HP-15c wall clock, and a coupon for a Swiss masseuse to keep you comfy while you use it.

Depending on the cost difference, I might be persuaded to go for the pricier option.

Having a choice would be nicer than having to pay for nice cardboard... LOL...

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-26-2023, 10:13 AM
(08-21-2023 05:26 PM)Peet Wrote:  [quote='johnb' pid='176216' dateline='1692572631']
Too beautiful for an everyday use calculator?

Even a printed manual in a foreign language is no added value for an everyday product for me.

The printed manual of the HP 15C CE was a real plus for me when I decided to pre-order it on The Calculator Store.
I still remember the beauty and usefulness of the spiral-bound two volumes manual of my HP 48...
If only the next collector's edition calculator were shipped with such a spiral-bound manual...
08-28-2023, 08:44 AM
Hi all,

My 15c CE arrived a few days ago & I have to concur with most here that the quality is great. Key feel is if anything better than an original 15c I have. Very happy with the manual, packaging etc. & well done by Moravia to achieve such a good quality product.

Now for a new generation 50G :-). That is my daily calculator after owning numerous HP48GX & SX calculators. I am not so fussy about colour but please create a new 50G. I would certainly buy at least 3 of them.

I know some people complain about RPL, but once you are over the steep learning curve, there is no better system for me including Prime (which I also have).

Cheers,

Michael
08-28-2023, 11:02 PM
Hey all.

Try to contain the thread drift.

How about starting a new one on the mythical 50GII and let’s leave this one to the 15C CE ?

:-)

Gene
08-29-2023, 10:10 PM
In Owner’s Handbook: To conserve power, the calculator automatically turns itself off after a few minutes of inactivity.
In Getting started manual: If you don't do it manually, the calculator automatically turns off 12 minutes after it was last used.
The calculator turns off after about 5 minutes of inactivity.
Is that a typo? 12 minutes?
08-29-2023, 10:35 PM
There were a few timing things that were not updated by choice. For example, the HP-15c original manual might have said that an integral might run in 40 seconds. How long on every machine with firmware changes still possible might that take to run on the 15c CE? We weren't sure.

Power management was also up in the air. We were testing on what presumably was the same hardware - a 12c running the 15c CE rom - but would all the timings have been the same? Probably, but ...

So yes, probably should say 5 min but if we had changed it to 6 as an approximation, it might still have been off. :-)
08-29-2023, 11:13 PM
(08-29-2023 10:10 PM)Voldemar Wrote:  In Owner’s Handbook: To conserve power, the calculator automatically turns itself off after a few minutes of inactivity.
In Getting started manual: If you don't do it manually, the calculator automatically turns off 12 minutes after it was last used.
The calculator turns off after about 5 minutes of inactivity.
Is that a typo? 12 minutes?

What Getting Started manual?? There isn't one AFAIK, unless some 3rd party made one....

--Bob Prosperi
08-30-2023, 12:18 AM
Maybe that’s the write up where there is not one in English ?
08-30-2023, 08:45 AM
(08-30-2023 12:18 AM)Gene Wrote:  Maybe that’s the write up where there is not one in English ?
Yes. In the package box where the case is. Not in English, but these are Getting started manuals.
Manuel de prise en main
Guia de início rápido
ect
08-30-2023, 11:58 AM
(08-30-2023 08:45 AM)Voldemar Wrote:  
(08-30-2023 12:18 AM)Gene Wrote:  Maybe that’s the write up where there is not one in English ?
Yes. In the package box where the case is. Not in English, but these are Getting started manuals.
Manuel de prise en main
Guia de início rápido
ect

Ok, thanks for clarifying, I could not even tell the title on these small documents...

--Bob Prosperi
09-02-2023, 01:43 AM
A short review/some thoughts I have about the 15C:
http://edspi31415.blogspot.com/2023/08/h...ughts.html
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-03-2023, 09:09 AM
The key bounce on my 15C CE (Lot number 9CJ323) is still really annoying*. I'm planning to return it for replacement under warranty.

* I've tried to clear the problem by pressing each key hundreds of times, which seems to have a temporary effect of reducing key bounce, but the problem recurs after leaving the calculator for a while.

— Ian Abbott
09-07-2023, 11:07 AM
Hello together!

I received a defective device aswell: One set of batteries only last like 1.5 weeks - with the calculator switched off.

Unfortunately replacement will only happen once the next batch is delivered in October .....
09-07-2023, 03:54 PM (This post was last modified: 09-07-2023 03:56 PM by deffunc.)
(09-07-2023 11:07 AM)cds Wrote:  I received a defective device aswell: One set of batteries only last like 1.5 weeks - with the calculator switched off.

At least you have one, I've been waiting since I placed my order on 2 Aug, and as you can imagine it's getting a bit frustrating reading about everyone getting theirs. I want to have fun too :-)
09-11-2023, 09:32 AM
The ship containing the locally distributed 15C CE stock has arrived in Melbourne, Australia - not long now hopefully.

I've lost count of how many I've seen posted online by people who have received theirs everywhere else :-)

Calculator Clique on YouTube
09-15-2023, 09:43 AM
(08-09-2023 09:32 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  
(08-09-2023 07:15 PM)Michael de Estrada Wrote:  I see that your L/NO. is the same as mine, whereas my CE Number is 00467, so I'm thinking that maybe L/NO. just stands for "Lot Number", instead of being some sort of unique serial number as was the case with the HP 15c LE. In fact, all the other posts show the same L/NO., such they all came from the same production lot, and this will not change unless and until another batch is manufactured. Also, your CE Number indicates that over 1000 of these were made, and it will be interesting to see what the total number has been.

Yes, same conclusion here about the lot #, also seen in the photo Moravia shared of outer cartons on the loading dock.

As for qty, Moravia has freely shared their plan was to produce 10,000 units in this initial lot. With Jose already shipping ~1000, eduwinkl and oxford likely taking similar qty (only a guess, I have no info.) and HP/USA (aka Royal) presumably taking even more, it means that > 50% of the units produced were sold within the first 2 weeks. Hopefully this is pleasing to Moravia, will continue though surely slow a bit, and we can look forward to the next problem being lack of stock anywhere (except those 3 guys on eBay selling them for $349-399).

Excellent opening move Moravia! Smile

I ordered two HP 15C CE calculators (08/23 and 09/10) from HP Office Supply (Royal) and received CE Numbers 09016 and 09110 in that order. Both had stickers for L/NO. 9CJ323. Does that mean the stock for the first run of 10,000 calculators is about to be exhausted? HP Office Supply is probably not selling the calculators in sequential CE Number order.

Has anyone deciphered what the lot number means? The 23 looks like a year. It probably includes a country code, a plant code, and a line code. Is there a month number? Anybody here know?

Just curious... why is "HEWLETT-PACKARD" missing from the lower left of the 15C CE? Is it because of the licensing agreement Moravia has with HP?

Thank you for the opportunity to post. Hoping that everyone gets their 15C CE calculators soon!

-Greg
09-18-2023, 02:17 AM
My 15C CE just arrived in Melbourne, Australia from the local distributor :-)

(09-11-2023 09:32 AM)dmh Wrote:  The ship containing the locally distributed 15C CE stock has arrived in Melbourne, Australia - not long now hopefully.

I've lost count of how many I've seen posted online by people who have received theirs everywhere else :-)

Calculator Clique on YouTube
09-18-2023, 01:05 PM
(09-15-2023 09:43 AM)greg4987 Wrote:  I ordered two HP 15C CE calculators (08/23 and 09/10) from HP Office Supply (Royal) and received CE Numbers 09016 and 09110 in that order. Both had stickers for L/NO. 9CJ323. Does that mean the stock for the first run of 10,000 calculators is about to be exhausted? HP Office Supply is probably not selling the calculators in sequential CE Number order.

Has anyone deciphered what the lot number means? The 23 looks like a year. It probably includes a country code, a plant code, and a line code. Is there a month number? Anybody here know?

Just curious... why is "HEWLETT-PACKARD" missing from the lower left of the 15C CE?
Is it because of the licensing agreement Moravia has with HP?

Thank you for the opportunity to post. Hoping that everyone gets their 15C CE calculators soon!

-Greg

Yes, the split of HP into HPE and HPI had criteria for use of certain trademarks and this removal is one of those (I've no idea if there are others, but presumably so). Other models (e.g. 12C) have similarly had "Hewlett Packard" removed.

About the lot number, perhaps we can get answer at HHC coming up in a few weeks?

--Bob Prosperi
09-18-2023, 04:08 PM
(09-15-2023 09:43 AM)greg4987 Wrote:  Just curious... why is "HEWLETT-PACKARD" missing from the lower left of the 15C CE? Is it because of the licensing agreement Moravia has with HP

I don't think this has anything directly to do with licensing. Even newer HP (inc.) products no longer have the name "Hewlett Packard" and it is not used anywhere else by HP. Only Hewlett Packard Enterprise uses this name, HP inc. is now only HP and no longer "Hewlett Packard".

My calculators - former: CBM PR100, HP41CV, HP11C, HP28S - current: HP48G, HP35S, Prime, DM41X, DM42, HP12C
09-18-2023, 10:38 PM
(09-18-2023 04:08 PM)Peet Wrote:  
(09-15-2023 09:43 AM)greg4987 Wrote:  Just curious... why is "HEWLETT-PACKARD" missing from the lower left of the 15C CE? Is it because of the licensing agreement Moravia has with HP

I don't think this has anything directly to do with licensing. Even newer HP (inc.) products no longer have the name "Hewlett Packard" and it is not used anywhere else by HP. Only Hewlett Packard Enterprise uses this name, HP inc. is now only HP and no longer "Hewlett Packard".

It was due to licensing. HP Inc. had a license from HPE, which allowed HP Inc. to continue use of "Hewlett Packard" on some legacy products (e.g. the 12C) for a limited amount of time, which apparently has since ended.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)