NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
10-07-2023, 01:27 PM
RE: NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
Hi all, I received my 15C CE last week, and I "discovered" (I was reading the Wikipedia page of the 15C) today that it has a 16C emulator (already discussed on the current topic). While I was so happy to test this feature, I had the idea to turn it off, and to execute a self-test (ON/(holding the key /)). Now, when I try to turn on my calculator, nothing works. Does someone know how to fix this problem?

12C Platinum, 15C CE, 35S
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-07-2023, 07:30 PM (This post was last modified: 10-07-2023 07:53 PM by Johnh.)
I've had my Hp15C CE a few days now, delivered very efficiently from Calculatorworld in Australia. It's a very nicely made high quality product and I'm very pleased.

In first use, I got a couple of key bounces on one key, ie '22' instead of '2'. But this issue was soon gone after a few clicks

I'm just working though the learning curve to get up to speed with it. Working out the 15C with its 80's interface highlights lots of ways that another 30 years or so allowed my other HP, an HP35s to be developed! Alpha numeric display and more powerful labelling are a big plus.

But the 15C seems really solid in use, and very clear with its simple display and solid keys. It's such a timeless classic design. There's nothing as clear as the simple 7-segment display, just for numbers.

I have lots of questions, but I'll keep reading the excellent manual, which is online too, as a pdf

But one thing I would like to ask about: Does anyone have any insight into expected battery life? It's a much faster unit than the original, with different batteries (two CR2032 in parallel), and no doubt draws much more power. How might it compare to others such as HP35s, which has similar cells? or other recent Voyager models? On my HP35s, I need to replace cells every few months or risk data loss.

Finally, here's a good review video by Calculator Culture that went up yesterday:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=rPV3yDZX9z0
10-07-2023, 08:07 PM
(10-07-2023 01:27 PM)VoyagerBender Wrote:  Hi all, I received my 15C CE last week, and I "discovered" (I was reading the Wikipedia page of the 15C) today that it has a 16C emulator (already discussed on the current topic). While I was so happy to test this feature, I had the idea to turn it off, and to execute a self-test (ON/(holding the key /)). Now, when I try to turn on my calculator, nothing works. Does someone know how to fix this problem?

You will have to do a hard reset of the calculator.
I don't remember exactly the method, but I think there is a reset hole inside the battery compartment.
It has been mentioned in other posts in this section about the 15C ce.

The 16C mode and the large memory mode do not support the self test, so not a good thing to try to do

Good luck, it is recoverable.
10-07-2023, 08:46 PM
Turn the calculator off:

Press and hold down g and ENTER

While holding those down, turn calculator on.

Self test is activated in all three modes.

Press 4 and then press e^x

This will reset to original HP-15C mode.
10-07-2023, 09:03 PM
(10-07-2023 01:27 PM)VoyagerBender Wrote:  While I was so happy to test this feature, I had the idea to turn it off, and to execute a self-test (ON/(holding the key /)). Now, when I try to turn on my calculator, nothing works. Does someone know how to fix this problem?
(08-04-2023 09:34 PM)Voldemar Wrote:  Warning!
In 16C mode no [ON]/[...] combination works, when the calculator is off, pressing and holding [ON] will turn the calculator on immediately. If you try to press and hold [-], then [ON], the calculator hangs and you will have to press the reset button under the battery cover. So in 16C mode you can't get a comma as a decimal separator, reset memory.
The other [ON]/[...] combinations described in the original 16C manual - [ON]/[÷], [ON]/[×], [ON]/[+], will also cause the calculator to hang.
10-08-2023, 01:48 AM
Excellent video review from Calculator Culture:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPV3yDZX9z0
10-09-2023, 11:41 PM
With a week or so into this machine, I've realized it has a useful feature which has led to a way that I have started to use it:

So far as I can tell, it is one the few HP RPN calcs (other than Swiss-micros or HP Prime), that you can currently buy new and also load a good emulator for a phone. I'm finding Touch 15i on Android is a great way to explore programs and try things out, which can also be saved as memory dumps in as many versions as you want making it easy to recover from snafu's. Then when I have programs going well on the Android, I can key them cleanly into the real HP15c. I'm using an excel file to keep a record as I develop.

Phone-based emulators are much handier than PC based ones. (I wish there was a phone app for my HP35S.). Sometimes they are more useful than the real thing, such as in low light, or when one wants to seem like a normal adult spending hours fiddling on a phone, rather than a calculator nerd!

I'm still interested if anyone has an insight into power consumption / battery life expectancy on the HP15C CE.
10-13-2023, 06:24 PM
Looks like we're still out of stock at The Calculator Store? Any idea on restock date? Anywhere else with easy shipping to the States?
10-13-2023, 07:01 PM
(10-13-2023 06:24 PM)tppytel Wrote:  Anywhere else with easy shipping to the States?

Although they are currently "Out Of Stock" as well...

HP Office Supply is the preferred vendor for USA residents.

Shipped from Pennsylvania.
10-13-2023, 07:06 PM
Thanks Mark - I had checked that too, though I thought I read someone saying the shipping was crazy high? If it's not much different from TCS, I might pick up a case or some other calculator swag.
10-13-2023, 09:28 PM
Still in stock at Oxford Educational Supplies, and I think that's the cheapest price after shipping too (about $153). I ordered from there several weeks ago since The Calculator Store was out of stock and got it in the US within 3 business days.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-14-2023, 12:43 AM
(10-08-2023 01:48 AM)HP-12C Wrote:  Excellent video review from Calculator Culture:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPV3yDZX9z0

I just finished watching it. It was a great video overview.

Note that I do not currently own the 15 CE.

One critical difference not mentioned in that video is the fact that the CE has a greenish LCD background, versus the very light gray background of the original. You could also see that difference when the video showed the 16C side-by-side with the 15C CE.

The light gray background LCD of the original calculators has slightly higher contrast, which makes it even easier to see.

I myself am eager to see a 16C CE, and I think it would be fantastic if the LCD background could be made like the original light gray rather than green. While this gripe may seem minor, consider well how much you focus your eyes on the screen. In light of that, small improvements to the LCD would be welcomed.
10-14-2023, 08:42 AM
(10-13-2023 06:24 PM)tppytel Wrote:  Looks like we're still out of stock at The Calculator Store? Any idea on restock date? Anywhere else with easy shipping to the States?

Hi, there is plenty of stock at The Calculator Store - the only problem is that we are NOT to ship to US and Canada - just for this product. The rest of the shop is still sent to the Americas.

HP-15c

Currently we have 245 units.
10-14-2023, 12:47 PM
(10-14-2023 08:42 AM)Divasson Wrote:  Currently we have 245 units.
Product no.: HP-15c #INT_2
Are these different from the first ones with a product number HP-15c#INT?
10-14-2023, 01:07 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2023 01:08 PM by Divasson.)
(10-14-2023 12:47 PM)Voldemar Wrote:  
(10-14-2023 08:42 AM)Divasson Wrote:  Currently we have 245 units.
Product no.: HP-15c #INT_2
Are these different from the first ones with a product number HP-15c#INT?

The version 1 in the website had options (leather case and overlay). The e-commerce software did not allow me to eliminate the options from the article (I could hid the options I wanted, but it would always say "case: Standard - overlay: no".

The simplest way was to create a new article altogether. It is exactly the same product. Cases and other future products can be bought separately.
10-14-2023, 08:20 PM (This post was last modified: 10-14-2023 08:47 PM by Johnh.)
I thought it might be interesting to post a picture of the hp15c CE, to show how the display looks. Since LCD's depend a lot on the quality of the light, I put my hp35S next to it for comparison:

I find the 15 CE to be nice and clear, due to good contrast and also the shape and space between the characters. Also on the keys, the printing and particularly the yellow-orange script is very clear.

EDIT: On the photo, I have the hp15c CE set at max contrast, and you can just see a little ghosting of switched-off segments. A couple of clicks less contrast fixes this, without changing the black tone. Contrast is set by holding the 'f' key and pressing '+' or '-'.
10-15-2023, 06:00 AM
(10-14-2023 08:20 PM)Johnh Wrote:  Contrast is set by holding the 'f' key and pressing '+' or '-'.

Wow, I did not know this! Do any other Voyagers do this? The 15C LE doesn't seem to.

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-15-2023, 06:12 AM
(10-15-2023 06:00 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  
(10-14-2023 08:20 PM)Johnh Wrote:  Contrast is set by holding the 'f' key and pressing '+' or '-'.

Wow, I did not know this! Do any other Voyagers do this? The 15C LE doesn't seem to.

I read that it is an extra feature of the CE version
10-15-2023, 09:35 AM
(10-15-2023 06:00 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  I did not know this!
Only two contrast positions - max and min
10-15-2023, 05:26 PM
(10-15-2023 06:00 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  

Eric documented this in the manual. :-)

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)