New HP-42S Replacement?
09-13-2017, 07:17 AM
RE: New HP-42S Replacement?
(09-13-2017 06:50 AM)AlexFekken Wrote:  a power button that is locked in the "off" position.

You are probably right. A better term might be battery free.

Pauli
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-13-2017, 07:25 AM
(09-13-2017 06:31 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  The only thing missing from the 42sx is u.
Ha, I got this one! Big Grin.
09-13-2017, 07:41 AM
(09-13-2017 07:25 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Ha, I got this one!

Shades of Robocop?

Pauli
09-13-2017, 08:40 AM
(09-13-2017 07:41 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Shades of Robocop?
Yes, the return of dinosaurs. I remember this movie :-).
09-13-2017, 10:26 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2017 10:29 AM by RMollov.)
(09-12-2017 07:39 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Is HP planning on a replacement for the HP-42S? Very possibly! Tim Wessman just announced the title for his talk at HHC 2017 this coming weekend: "New HP-42S Replacement?" Exciting, huh? Smile

It's so simple. Bring back keyboard technology. Put modern display 4 lines and support programmatically all of them. Put in i/o. Put in huge memory. Bring back hp41 alpha input.
I'll buy 5 of them even though I don't need even one, regardless of the price.
09-13-2017, 10:41 AM
Could it be a link between a "42s replacement" and the future wp43s ?
09-13-2017, 11:52 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2017 11:53 AM by Paul Dale.)
(09-13-2017 08:40 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Yes, the return of dinosaurs. I remember this movie :-).

I loved it. I really don't know why.

To appreciate Thomas's reference, you need to learn more about the car. Or its alarm system. Finally, there is a news report with more advertisements along similar lines.

Pauli
09-13-2017, 12:39 PM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2017 12:43 PM by toml_12953.)
(09-13-2017 06:31 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Coming soon the 42sx.
That's right, the 42sx has two stack levels. You'll never forget where you are in a calculation or what is on the stack again. The 42sx naturally supports the entire gamut of stack operations with Rv, R^ and x<>y in their natural positions on the keyboard. Plus we've added the never before featured functions Rvv and R^^ for two position rolls.

I was hoping for a one-level stack! When memory (mine, not the calculator's) gets short, we must conserve all we can!

Quote:One red dot greatly increases the value of those calculators possessing it. The 42sx has two red dots. One is used to indicate on, the other off. We saved space by putting both of them in the same location. It is so natural and intuitive you'll wonder how you managed so long without.

I am going to be selling after-market red dots (not calculators, just red dots) on TAS. You'll be able to apply them to all HP models including the original HP-35! Unscrupulous vendors may try to pass them off as original red dots but I can't control that.

Quote:The 42sx strives for numeric accuracy throughout its thousands of functions. That's why we've made sure the original 2.02 results are there. Trigonometric functions perform excellently except around multiples of fifteen degrees where all digits are lost.

I never cared for those values anyway. Good work, HP!

Quote: We've included hyperbolic and elliptic functions. Three different ζ functions, factorial, Γ, Ψ and six other Greek alphabetic functions.

Why limit yourself to Greek letters? I'd like to work with Hebrew letters א-null (aleph-null), anyone?, and Chinese characters (how many functions would that be?)

Quote:We also support complex numbers, that's right numbers on the 42sx can have a decimal point in any position. We think this is amazing.

I'd like multiple decimal points in a number. As with my meds, if one is good, more must be better, right?

Thanks for a great laugh!

Tom L
Cui bono?
09-13-2017, 08:21 PM
[Image: attachment.php?aid=4171]

It would be nice to have this new model available on 2018. We only know this new model will be an HP42s "replacement". There will be no 30th. Anniversary Limited Edition, as the fake picture shows.

The only big question floating in my mind is, would it be a calculator for the pros? or would it be bundled with a couple of popsicles? Maybe HP has found the way to bring both worlds together in harmony back again.

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
09-13-2017, 09:52 PM
Hmm. If you combine the title of Tim's talk with the fact that the RPN programming contest is limited to the 41CX instruction set then who knows what you get!
09-13-2017, 11:17 PM
(09-13-2017 09:52 PM)David Hayden Wrote:  Hmm. If you combine the title of Tim's talk with the fact that the RPN programming contest is limited to the 41CX instruction set then who knows what you get!

A 42S applet for the Prime?

While I would warmly welcome a nice new handheld device targeted in that direction, I'd be shocked to see one from HP at this point.

Then again, I never thought I'd see a 15CLE, either. Smile

We can all dream!
09-16-2017, 08:53 PM (This post was last modified: 09-16-2017 09:19 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
May I ask for some news about Tim's talk this morning? It would be really kind, if an attendee could drop some words on it. Thanks in advance!

Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
09-16-2017, 10:45 PM
(09-16-2017 08:53 PM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  May I ask for some news about Tim's talk this morning? It would be really kind, if an attendee could drop some words on it. Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately it was an NDA session, so we can't tell you anything about HP's wonderful new 42S replacement.

Except one thing. Tim gave us permission to tell interested parties about something called "Betteridge's law of headlines".
09-17-2017, 12:21 AM
(09-16-2017 10:45 PM)brouhaha Wrote:  
(09-16-2017 08:53 PM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  May I ask for some news about Tim's talk this morning? It would be really kind, if an attendee could drop some words on it. Thanks in advance!

Unfortunately it was an NDA session, so we can't tell you anything about HP's wonderful new 42S replacement.

Except one thing. Tim gave us permission to tell interested parties about something called "Betteridge's law of headlines".

Well I guess that answers the big question....
09-17-2017, 12:26 AM
(09-16-2017 10:45 PM)brouhaha Wrote:  

Why so much mistery?

If it is no, it is no;

If it is maybe, hey, HP are studying the possibility of development!!

Then, it's maybe;

Is it a top secret for the government defeat ISIS or North Korea? Donald will have the last word?

Never mind...

By the way, what is NDA? Acronym for Nothing Definitely Answered?

Anyway,

Cheers and Regards from Rio!

JL
09-17-2017, 01:26 AM
(09-17-2017 12:26 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(09-16-2017 10:45 PM)brouhaha Wrote:  Unfortunately it was an NDA session, so we can't tell you anything about HP's wonderful new 42S replacement.

Why so much mistery?

If it is no, it is no;

If it is maybe, hey, HP are studying the possibility of development!!

Then, it's maybe;

Is it a top secret for the government defeat ISIS or North Korea? Donald will have the last word?

Never mind...

By the way, what is NDA? Acronym for Nothing Definitely Answered?

Anyway,

Cheers and Regards from Rio!

JL

Betteridge's Law of Headlines: If a headline is phrased as a question, the answer is always "no."

NDA: "Non-Disclosure Agreement," a legal document you may be required to sign before joining a company or attending a presentation, where you agree not to disclose anything you learn, at that job or during that presentation, to anyone else.

In other words, no new HP-42S replacement, or at least not from HP.
So what did Tim talk about, then?!?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-17-2017, 02:19 AM
(09-17-2017 01:26 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  So what did Tim talk about, then?!?

Thanks Thomas for this enlightenment.

As for your last question, maybe we can pretend that it's a headline, and the answer should be

"Nothing, it was only a joke"

Or we have to wait for Donald (not the duck) Smile

Have a good week for you all!!

JL
09-17-2017, 08:39 AM (This post was last modified: 09-17-2017 08:47 AM by Luigi Vampa.)
NDA's are NDA's :.!

The facts:
- Those busy gifted minds at HP aren't wasting their time playing cards at work.
- HP won't go the SM way.
- Prime sales figures don't grow.

My guess: Either a revamped Prime v2, or a new model is in the works.

In the meantime I will enjoy my new toy, a Free42 'Blackview A7 Android 7'. It costed me €33 from China, S&H included, though YMMV. I wasn't expecting much for that price, but after one week, I must say I am pretty shocked about the high quality of such extremely cheap cellphone. Time will tell, but its amortization time is just around the corner >D

Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
09-17-2017, 10:01 AM
(09-17-2017 08:39 AM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  - Prime sales figures don't grow.

Well. I think the target for the prime and the prime APP is pretty small, so what one can expect, after a first peak (new product that everyone wants to have) is a stable flow given that X new students are added every year.

furthermore math programs (high school and bachelor/master degrees) are stable since years as far as I know. So actually a student can go with a hp48, 50 or prime or even a good scientific calculator of the time of the 42s and the calculator will do the work nonetheless. Therefore one has a lot of competition from new and old products (or even free. Your free42 based on an "old" system for example). It would be already great if the sales figures would be stable.

Moreover I think that what is important is the maturity of an environment (that is applicable everywhere). If an environment is shiny new but, aside from basic functions, it does not have anything else, it is not attractive. Instead environments with plenty of robust solutions are attractive.

You love your free42 likely because: it is fast, it is usable (although I am not happy with touchscreens), it is stable, it has a lot of functions, likely you have developed your programs for it and there are plenty of programs developed for it that are reliable.

If free42 would release a new version that breaks compatibility, and all has to be written again, with even less functions because it is new (for example, no solver, no matrix, etc.) people won't use it so quickly.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
09-17-2017, 10:55 AM
(09-17-2017 02:19 AM)Jlouis Wrote:  
(09-17-2017 01:26 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  So what did Tim talk about, then?!?

Or we have to wait for Donald (not the duck) Smile

and not the Trump either, I hope!

Tom L
Cui bono?

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)