New HP-42S Replacement?
09-12-2017, 07:39 PM
New HP-42S Replacement?
Is HP planning on a replacement for the HP-42S? Very possibly! Tim Wessman just announced the title for his talk at HHC 2017 this coming weekend: "New HP-42S Replacement?" Exciting, huh? Smile

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-12-2017, 08:06 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2017 08:07 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
RE: New HP-42S Replacement?
(09-12-2017 07:39 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Is HP planning on a replacement for the HP-42S? Very possibly! Tim Wessman just announced the title for his talk at HHC 2017 this coming weekend: "New HP-42S Replacement?" Exciting, huh? :)

No 41C replacement? :(
After all we already have the DM42...

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
09-12-2017, 08:36 PM
[Image: uc?export=view&amp;id=0B-GeI3XeO0WtT2V1bVRZUDFYUHM]
Find all posts by this user
09-12-2017, 09:04 PM
(09-12-2017 07:39 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Is HP planning on a replacement for the HP-42S? Very possibly! Tim Wessman just announced the title for his talk at HHC 2017 this coming weekend: "New HP-42S Replacement?" Exciting, huh? Smile

I am surprised to see some names there (people that I thought were inactive or not interested enough to spend effort for a conference). Also 45 attendees. Impressive how loyal is the community

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
09-12-2017, 09:07 PM
Can somebody tell me what makes the HP 42s so fantastic? I have seen pictures of it but I never heard the pros and cons of it.
09-12-2017, 09:15 PM
(09-12-2017 09:07 PM)Carsen Wrote:  Can somebody tell me what makes the HP 42s so fantastic? I have seen pictures of it but I never heard the pros and cons of it.

Search in this and the old foruns and you will understand.

Cheers

JL
09-12-2017, 09:26 PM (This post was last modified: 09-21-2017 11:01 AM by Luigi Vampa.)
(09-12-2017 09:07 PM)Carsen Wrote:  Can somebody tell me what makes the HP 42s so fantastic? I have seen pictures of it but I never heard the pros and cons of it.

IMHO, the HP-42s means a perfect balance between features and complexity, while keeping the true original pocket-size of a handheld calculator.

"Ne quid nimis" (Nothing in excess)

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
09-12-2017, 09:36 PM (This post was last modified: 09-12-2017 10:15 PM by Luigi Vampa.)
(09-12-2017 07:39 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Is HP planning on a replacement for the HP-42S? Very possibly! Tim Wessman just announced the title for his talk at HHC 2017 this coming weekend: "New HP-42S Replacement?" Exciting, huh? :)

Any chances of Free42 running on HP hardware??
Tell me more! I know this is too hot to print, but arrrrgh, I'm running out of nails to bite, dude.
'Gimme three!!' No wrapping, I will take them on :0)

[EDIT] I know those 'en petit comité' talks will be recorded and shared later. Are there any plans to broadcast them online? Say, kinda YouTube Live service. Such good news might be big enough to share it really pronto.

[EDIT 2] Look what you have done, it is midnight here now, but I can't sleep, like a kid waiting for his Christmas gift. I was wondering whether Tim's talk should rather be tittled "Let's make RPN great again?" ;0) Nighty night.

Saludos Saluti Cordialement Cumprimentos MfG BR + + + + +
Luigi Vampa +
Free42 '<3' I + +
09-12-2017, 09:54 PM
(09-12-2017 09:36 PM)Luigi Vampa Wrote:  [EDIT] I know HHC talks will be recorded. Are there any plans to broadcast them online? Say, kinda YouTube Live service.

YES!!, please!!!
09-12-2017, 10:01 PM
HP can re-issue a souped up version HP-42S with more functions that we have seen in the HP Prime. This re-release should do very well ... as long as all they keys work and there are no disappointing bugs.

Namir
09-13-2017, 12:02 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2017 12:04 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(09-12-2017 10:01 PM)Namir Wrote:  HP can re-issue a souped up version HP-42S with more functions that we have seen in the HP Prime. This re-release should do very well ... as long as all they keys work and there are no disappointing bugs.

I very much doubt it - on both accounts: the possibility of a re-issue; and that if it ever existed had no additional bugs ;-)

Besides what's the point? the DM-42 has covered that space with flying colors! That display is unbeatable, the speed is amazing, Free-42 shines on it...

Cheers,
ÁM
09-13-2017, 12:09 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2017 12:10 AM by Ángel Martin.)
(09-12-2017 08:06 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  No 41C replacement? Sad

Well, replacing the 41C would be much more complicated and difficult if that replacement needs to be a complete one = not just a new calculator, but compatible with all the HP-IL devices, etc. I can see why they (HP) wouldn't want to open than can of worms at this point in the game; not a quick return of investment, small opportunity, etc...

Much to Monte's credit, the CL accomplished that in a prefect way, and then so much more!

Cheers,
ÁM
09-13-2017, 12:35 AM
(09-12-2017 07:39 PM)Joe Horn Wrote:  Is HP planning on a replacement for the HP-42S? Very possibly! Tim Wessman just announced the title for his talk at HHC 2017 this coming weekend: "New HP-42S Replacement?" Exciting, huh? Smile

I wouldn't bet the ranch on it. But if they do, let's hope it has I/O, not just "Oh!"

P.S. It looks as though the "undefined" issue does not apply here at home :-)

Brian Walsh

(6951) [41] <1>
09-13-2017, 02:17 AM
Several people have emailed me and expressed their opinion that Tim must intend that title ("New HP-42S Replacement?") as a joke. Why didn't I think of that? Maybe I'm humor-deprived or I like the 42S too much (or both), but all I can say is, that title sure grabbed my attention!

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-
09-13-2017, 04:05 AM

It's basically an HP-41, without the expansion ports, but with a lot more memory, it's faster, and it has all the HP-15C functionality as well (matrix operations, complex numbers, numerical root finder, numerical integrator), and named variables (not just numbered registers). It's a very well-rounded calculator.

The biggest "con" is the lack of I/O; apart from the keyboard and display, all it has in the I/O department is a one-way infrared printer interface. No bi-directional infrared like the HP-48 series, no serial port, no HP-IL. The only way to get programs into it is typing them.
09-13-2017, 05:11 AM
(09-13-2017 12:02 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  Besides what's the point? the DM-42 has covered that space with flying colors! That display is unbeatable, the speed is amazing, Free-42 shines on it...
... and there are firmware updates to be expected, something missing for e.g. the 15C LE, that suffers (at least) from a bad debouncing routine that renders this calculator useless. That was the final nail in the coffin regarding serious tools from HP. I'm sure it's not Tims fault, but this was really too much.
09-13-2017, 06:31 AM (This post was last modified: 09-13-2017 11:38 AM by Paul Dale.)
Coming soon the 42sx.

We've looked back at the high points of historic calculator design and the relative prices fetched by different models on a well known auction site. We will soon announce the 42sx calculator that was designed based on this exhaustive research.

RPN is naturally the only supported entry method. However, RPN has been taken a step further and improved. Prices are higher for machines with a three level stack than they are for those with a four level stack. The 42sx team understood this and extended the trend to the two level stack. That's right, the 42sx has two stack levels. You'll never forget where you are in a calculation or what is on the stack again. The 42sx naturally supports the entire gamut of stack operations with Rv, R^ and x<>y in their natural positions on the keyboard. Plus we've added the never before featured functions Rvv and R^^ for two position rolls.

One red dot greatly increases the value of those calculators possessing it. The 42sx has two red dots. One is used to indicate on, the other off. We saved space by putting both of them in the same location. It is so natural and intuitive you'll wonder how you managed so long without.

The 42sx strives for numeric accuracy throughout its thousands of functions. That's why we've made sure the original 2.02 results are there. Trigonometric functions perform excellently except around multiples of fifteen degrees where all digits are lost. We've included hyperbolic and elliptic functions. Three different ζ functions, factorial, Γ, Ψ and six other Greek alphabetic functions. More statistics than you've ever seen before accumulating X, Y and Z. Three dimensional manifold regressions surpass the usual suspects supported by other calculators. They are so useful we didn't even include the normal models.

Ten digits calculators sell for more than twelve digit ones so we extrapolated to an amazing six significant digits. We also support complex numbers, that's right numbers on the 42sx can have a decimal point in any position. We think this is amazing.

We've not left the computer science professionals out either. The 42sx supports infinite length binary integers displayed in all their glory in base 2 (one digit at a time). It has the complete functionality of the 16c plus dozens more functions.

Of course the 42sx is programmable. We've taken the 42s's unsurpassed alpha mode and used that for programming. You don't need short cuts or menus when you can spell out command names. It is so much faster and easier than ever before. You'll be able to enter both steps in no time.

The 42sx has been designed to our exacting specifications by contract manufacturer Mosry Soso. The firmware is baked into ROM so you'll never need to upgrade. What a time saver.

The only thing missing from the 42sx is u.
09-13-2017, 06:44 AM
(09-13-2017 06:31 AM)Paul Dale Wrote:  Coming soon the 42sx.

LMFAO

Big Grin

Greetings,
    Massimo

09-13-2017, 06:47 AM
(09-13-2017 12:09 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  
(09-12-2017 08:06 PM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  No 41C replacement? Sad

Well, replacing the 41C would be much more complicated and difficult if that replacement needs to be a complete one = not just a new calculator, but compatible with all the HP-IL devices, etc. I can see why they (HP) wouldn't want to open than can of worms at this point in the game; not a quick return of investment, small opportunity, etc...

Much to Monte's credit, the CL accomplished that in a prefect way, and then so much more!

Cheers,
ÁM

I concur, but, for one, I wish for a better shell.

Greetings,
    Massimo

09-13-2017, 06:50 AM
I don't think the 42sx will be very popular if it doesn't have a permanent power savings feature. E.g. a power button that is locked in the "off" position.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)