PROVA
10-17-2014, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 10-17-2014 01:29 AM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
RE: PROVA
(10-16-2014 10:31 PM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  Ciao, Massimo!

FAIL!!! :)

[Image: IMG_0751_zpsd9ae017b.jpg]

I like the following better, especiallly "Lasciate ogni speranza, voi ch'entrate." ("Abandon all hope, ye who enter [here].")

[Image: IMG_0749_zps01ee89d6.jpg]

Olá Gerson!

:)

An M for an N, but they managed to tweak it.

But your preferred quote has some problems: third line (something is missing...) and the last couple of lines have problems with their vowels (though correct in modern italian but, then, you should have ditched the double T in eterna/eterne...)!

Thanks for sharing.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2014, 03:39 AM
(10-17-2014 01:24 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Smile

But your preferred quote has some problems: third line (something is missing...) and the last couple of lines have problems with their vowels (though correct in modern italian but, then, you should have ditched the double T in eterna/eterne...)!

That M remained there for quite a while before they decided to cut its right leg off. It wouldn't hurt if they had the letter repainted though.
The Ts are indeed doubled in a bilingual edition I've checked. Occasional shifts in consonant duration appeared to have occurred even in late Latin as we can see in the Appendix Probi (#110 and #112, for instance). "Acqua", which was then marked as wrong, is now correct Smile
The google occurences of "se non etterne, e io etterno duro" outnumber those of "se non eterne, e io eterno duro" by a factor of 50. If this is not a badly propagated mistake, then at Dante's time these words might indeed have been spelled and pronounced that way.

Cheers,

Gerson.

[Image: Inferno_C_3_zps8d5d8291.png]
Find all posts by this user
10-17-2014, 10:07 AM
(10-17-2014 03:39 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  
(10-17-2014 01:24 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Smile

That M remained there for quite a while before they decided to cut its right leg off. It wouldn't hurt if they had the letter repainted though.
The Ts are indeed doubled in a bilingual edition I've checked. Occasional shifts in consonant duration appeared to have occurred even in late Latin as we can see in the Appendix Probi (#110 and #112, for instance). "Acqua", which was then marked as wrong, is now correct Smile
The google occurences of "se non etterne, e io etterno duro" outnumber those of "se non eterne, e io eterno duro" by a factor of 50. If this is not a badly propagated mistake, then at Dante's time these words might indeed have been spelled and pronounced that way.

Cheers,

Gerson.

Nothing to say about the double "T": it is the original spelling; I was referring to ogne/ogni and entrate/intrate.
The writing on the wall is correct in modern italian, but doesn't reflect the original. So I suggested that if modern spelling is to be used (but why??) then they shouldn't use that double T... Wink

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)