Buy Now or Wait for Revision B?
06-18-2014, 04:52 PM
RE: Buy Now or Wait for Revision B?
(06-18-2014 01:13 PM)jebem Wrote:  That said, the Prime (h/w revision A) is a excellent calculator, well above what all the others are offering for the asking price.
Not really, the firmware is truly still at best a beta product.

It's primary advantages will be if they keep updating the fw and get to something more complete will be:
1. It's currently a little cheaper than the nspire cas or fx-cp400

2. It's REALLY fast compared, at least, to the fx-cp400 and has otherwise better overall base hw specs

Personally, knowing that there is now also a completed bugfixed version of the hardware, I'd wait for the newest version unless you get an even better price on the old, which I expect to be discontinued as soon as stock runs out. i.e. my opinion is that the new sku is to avoid having to replace all of the currently sold rev "a" primes, just as Clevo did w/a certain notebook with a borked mpcie slot last year. (Yep bought a Sager NP8250-S(to Sager's credit they advertised only 1 mpcie while clevo was still claiming 2 functional) got replaced c. 1m later with the NP8255-S(and corresponding Clevo chassis model part # change), so instead of 2 hdd bays and 2 msata ports, I ended up with 2hdd bays and 1 msata(functional) and a uselessly borked 2nd mpcie slot. While I probably could've gotten Sager to replace swap it(just over their 30d return) I decided it wasn't worth the hassle just for a 2nd functional mpcie slot, or I should say 2nd unpopulated mpcie as there are already 2 others one wired for the mxm(yes it's a different mechanical layout from mpcie but usually is wired to mpcie, unless yer ASUS and like to do things like oh hay, let's REVERSE the mechanical layout so that you can only use asus cards with matching REVERSE "pin"outs, along with only whitelisting ASUS cards in BIOS, the "joys" of pseudo notebook dGPU swappability, OTOH MXM cards are just EXPENSIVE) 780m and the 2nd for the wireless card.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Buy Now or Wait for Revision B? - MathMan - 06-18-2014, 03:59 AM
RE: Buy Now or Wait for Revision B? - HP67 - 06-18-2014, 06:46 AM
RE: Buy Now or Wait for Revision B? - cutterjohn - 06-18-2014 04:52 PM
RE: Buy Now or Wait for Revision B? - HP67 - 06-18-2014, 01:22 PM
RE: Buy Now or Wait for Revision B? - Rich - 06-18-2014, 10:31 PM
RE: Buy Now or Wait for Revision B? - HP67 - 06-19-2014, 06:22 AM
RE: Buy Now or Wait for Revision B? - HP67 - 06-19-2014, 06:21 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)