NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
05-08-2023, 05:22 PM
RE: NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
The 15c CE Advanced Functions Handbook will be available as a PDF only, I'm sorry to say. It has been edited in the same manner as the 15c Owners Handbook. All known errors and errata have been fixed. Even some never pointed out errors in the ORIGINAL HP-15C Owners Handbook were found and fixed.

The editing project was run by Eric Rechlin, which is why it looks as great as it does.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2023, 09:58 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2023 10:00 PM by Divasson.)
Some pictures below. Excellent key feeling (better than the LE, at the same level as current HP12c)

Unboxing will have to wait until video is properly edited.

Case is PU but different (better) quality than previous versions. (you can add a true leather case at thecalculatorstore.com )

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

05-08-2023, 10:59 PM
So what does this mean for the 15c LE? Will prices drop sharply?
I have one new in box which I intend to keep as it is and one lightly used one (went back to original 15c for usage). Maybe it will see more use in future. Or maybe I should pre order another CE so I can use one of those.
To be honest I am surprised the LE became as expensive as it has done.
05-08-2023, 11:29 PM
(05-08-2023 05:22 PM)Gene Wrote:  The 15c CE Advanced Functions Handbook will be available as a PDF only, I'm sorry to say. It has been edited in the same manner as the 15c Owners Handbook. All known errors and errata have been fixed. Even some never pointed out errors in the ORIGINAL HP-15C Owners Handbook were found and fixed.

The editing project was run by Eric Rechlin, which is why it looks as great as it does.

Where is it?
05-08-2023, 11:31 PM
The AFH is not yet available. We are still working on a few parts. :-)
05-09-2023, 04:50 AM
(05-08-2023 10:59 PM)Harald Wrote:  .
Small market, if any. I wouldn't be surprised if those boxes on offer just collecting dust. Has anyone been able to sell a NIB LE for $300 or more?
05-09-2023, 05:11 AM
I've sold 2 in the last couple of months for more than that.

I have an open one I use and the announcement of the 15C CE spurred me on to sell the NIB LE units before the CE was released ;-)

(05-09-2023 04:50 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  
(05-08-2023 10:59 PM)Harald Wrote:  .
Small market, if any. I wouldn't be surprised if those boxes on offer just collecting dust. Has anyone been able to sell a NIB LE for $300 or more?

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2023, 06:42 AM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2023 06:43 AM by Harald.)
(05-09-2023 05:11 AM)dmh Wrote:  I've sold 2 in the last couple of months for more than that.

I have an open one I use and the announcement of the 15C CE spurred me on to sell the NIB LE units before the CE was released ;-)

(05-09-2023 04:50 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Small market, if any. I wouldn't be surprised if those boxes on offer just collecting dust. Has anyone been able to sell a NIB LE for $300 or more?

And here someone is short selling the 15C CE Smile
ebay
05-09-2023, 06:52 AM
(05-09-2023 06:42 AM)Harald Wrote:  And here someone is short selling the 15C CE Smile
ebay
Möge der Blitz ihn beim Sche*ßen treffen!

(-> May he be not successful)
05-09-2023, 09:53 AM
(05-09-2023 06:52 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  
(05-09-2023 06:42 AM)Harald Wrote:  And here someone is short selling the 15C CE Smile
ebay
Möge der Blitz ihn beim Sche*ßen treffen!

I had a feeling the true translation would be worth the effort. And my trip to Google Translate was aptly rewarded. Another pithy insult has entered my personal lexicon.
05-09-2023, 09:55 AM
(05-08-2023 09:58 PM)Divasson Wrote:  Some pictures below. Excellent key feeling (better than the LE, at the same level as current HP12c)

Unboxing will have to wait until video is properly edited.

Case is PU but different (better) quality than previous versions. (you can add a true leather case at thecalculatorstore.com )

I can't resist, I'll order one too :-D !

---
HP 48GX, Prime G2, 50G, 28S, 15c CE. SwissMicros DM42, DM15L
A long time ago : 11C, 15C, 28C.
05-09-2023, 10:42 AM
(05-09-2023 09:53 AM)jonmoore Wrote:  
(05-09-2023 06:52 AM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  Möge der Blitz ihn beim Sche*ßen treffen!

I had a feeling the true translation would be worth the effort. And my trip to Google Translate was aptly rewarded. Another pithy insult has entered my personal lexicon.

Big Grin

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-09-2023, 11:43 AM
(05-09-2023 09:55 AM)OlidaBel Wrote:  I can't resist, I'll order one too :-D !
Just ordered Big Grin
05-09-2023, 05:21 PM
(05-09-2023 11:43 AM)Voldemar Wrote:  
(05-09-2023 09:55 AM)OlidaBel Wrote:  I can't resist, I'll order one too :-D !
Just ordered Big Grin

I’ve just ordered one from The Calculator Store as well.
107,43€ + 54,00€ shipping, but the additional duties, tax and charges may raise the final price up to 267,99€ or about 300 dollars, which I think today is equivalent to what I paid for my original HP-15C almost 40 years ago (2343B).

Gerson.
05-09-2023, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2023 07:12 PM by rflesch.)
I ordered one @eduwinkel.nl, total amount I had to pay including shipping to Germany is € 146,50 (= USD 160.66). At first it was impossible for me to place my order because the eduwinkel software told me that no shipping method for my country is available. I sent an email to the company and Mr. Kuperus replied almost immediately, stating that it should be working now, which was in fact the case.

Looking forward, and I would be glad if that "Collector's Edition" label were removable, it should just say "15C", in my opinion.

Does anyone know if the iPhone HP15C-LE program will be updated as well? The current version has all the bugs the 15C-LE has.
05-10-2023, 07:07 AM
Hi,

Here is a short video of what comes in the box. Sorry for the poor production!

HP15c Collector's Edition Unboxing
05-10-2023, 07:21 AM
Nice video - best watched at 1080p. My laptop started it at 720 and it didn't work well.
05-10-2023, 07:45 AM
I believe HP does not have the source code for the new 17bii+, 33s, or 35s developed by Kinpo. All three calculators use mask-programmed Sunplus 6502 processors. Fixing bugs in these calculators would require a new mask set (which is probably why it hasn't been done...it doesn't make economic sense for HP/whoever owns the rights now). I can't remember if there was any word from HP if the code for these calculators was actually done in C or assembly?

Developing something like a new 42s would be a massive undertaking for whoever owns the rights (would probably need a completely different processor as others have noted), despite the 17bii+ being similar. It would probably be the same level of difficulty as the DM42 and use free42 (I guess Saturn emulation and using the original code is another possibility, and might be easier from a licensing standpoint). It is possible, since swiss micros have done so, but probably doesn't make nearly as much economic sense as the 15C collector's edition.

From what I remember, not having the code for the calculators listed above (the 17bii+, 33s, and 35s) was a major reason for HP internally developing the code for the new 12C+, 10bii+, and 20b/30b. I believe the code was ported from one of the basic handhelds or palmtops to C code if I remember right, and the code from those was based on the code from the earlier HP calculators.

One of the other posts mentioned bringing back the hp 50g, but the Samsung ARM processor in that calculator is also end of life, so it would be a relatively major undertaking (although I think HP does at least have the code for the saturn emulator and other stuff used in the 50g?), and probably doesn't make financial sense either (the existing HP Prime likely sells better). I think the 50g was already at the very limit of what can be done with the Saturn architecture also, so not a great long-term option either compared to the Prime.

(05-07-2023 11:04 PM)brouhaha Wrote:  
(05-07-2023 06:52 PM)Thomas Radtke Wrote:  That's good news. Or would be, if the sources were available.

Not available to the general public. Available to the relevant people in HP and Moravia, almost certainly.

I have no way to know, but it's highly likely that HP, and perhaps some employees of Moravia, have the 10bii+, 12c Platinum/Prestige, 17bii+, 20b, 30b, 33s, and 35s source code. Probably also the source code for most Saturn-based calculators as well, for what that's worth.

But they probably don't have much pre-Saturn source code. I mean, HP once asked ME for a copy of the 12C source code, which I didn't (and don't) have. As I understand it, they were able to track down a copy of the 12C source code, though more recently I've heard it stated that HP doesn't have "usable" source code for the 12C. I suspect that may mean that they don't consider ~6000 lines of Nut assembly source code to be "usable". I don't even necessarily disagree, despite that I do a fair bit of hacking Nut assembly code. Programming in Nut assembly, and even Saturn assembly, is much more difficult than e.g. C or C++.
05-10-2023, 08:15 AM
(05-10-2023 07:07 AM)Divasson Wrote:  Hi,

Here is a short video of what comes in the box. Sorry for the poor production!

HP15c Collector's Edition Unboxing

Thanks for the Video!

I just placed a second order with you. I realised I "need" one to use and one to keep in the box unused Smile
05-10-2023, 08:34 AM
(05-10-2023 07:45 AM)jklsadf Wrote:  Fixing bugs in these calculators would require a new mask set (which is probably why it hasn't been done...it doesn't make economic sense for HP/whoever owns the rights now)

Fifteen years ago, the cost of a custom mask for the Sunplus 6502-derived microcontrollers was under $1000. It might be $2000 now. It doesn't cost much because:
* it's a very old process, not bleeding edge
* it's only a single metal layer, not an all-layers change
* China

Quote:I believe HP does not have the source code for the new 17bii+, 33s, or 35s developed by Kinpo.
[...]
I can't remember if there was any word from HP if the code for these calculators was actually done in C or assembly?

I was specifically told that the 33s and 35s code is written in C. I also remember an HP engineer complaining with regard to the 33s about how inefficient the C code is on a 6502 (which I already knew), and a few specific examples from the 33s, so I'm not convinced that Kinpo wrote those, though Kinpo did write the 12C Platinum v1 code. Kinpo writing code for an HP calculator also doesn't necessarily imply that HP doesn't have the source code. HP probably has the 12C Platinum v2 source code, because they ported it to ARM, though they didn't release it.

It's my understanding that all the 6502-based HP models are written in C, whether by Kinpo or HP, and really, why would any company do it any other way? These things are written under tight deadlines by engineers who'd probably rather be doing something else, not by greybeard 6502 assembly enthusiasts. It's not like racing the beam in an Atari VCS, or the Apple II RWTS floppy routines, where hand-crafted assembly was the only possible way to make things work at all.

The source code HP _doesn't_ have is that of most of the pre-Saturn models. They recovered a copy of the 12C code, and the code for the HP-41C and some of its peripherals still exists because it was released to user groups, but most everything else pre-Saturn is long gone. Most of it didn't survive the calculator division moving to Singapore (vs. previously only manufacturing there), and anything that might have survived that move didn't survivr the four subsequent moves.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)