Advanced User's Reference - printed version
01-12-2014, 07:33 PM
RE: Advanced User's Reference - printed version
I've made a slightly embarrassing mistake in all these shipping calculations. The pages are of course printed on both sides, so the weight is half of what I was anticipating.

So I think the actual prices should be:

£13 - USA/Canada
£8 - Germany/France
£3 - UK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-12-2014, 08:40 PM
(01-12-2014 07:33 PM)dizzy Wrote:  So I think the actual prices should be:

£13 - USA/Canada
£8 - Germany/France
£3 - UK

OK, here we go! (Assuming you were talking about postage) Smile
01-12-2014, 09:41 PM
(01-12-2014 07:33 PM)dizzy Wrote:  £13 - USA/Canada
£8 - Germany/France
£3 - UK

Thank you very much, Dizzy! Just for "more completeness" (I'm sitting in Germany): Will the Antipodeans in e.g. New Zealand get their copy also for something around 13 £ for shipping?

Martin
01-12-2014, 09:51 PM
(01-12-2014 09:41 PM)Martin Paech Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 07:33 PM)dizzy Wrote:  £13 - USA/Canada
£8 - Germany/France
£3 - UK

Thank you very much, Dizzy! Just for "more completeness" (I'm sitting in Germany): Will the Antipodeans in e.g. New Zealand get their copy also for something around 13 £ for shipping?

Martin

Yep, £13 is the figure I get for New Zealand.
01-12-2014, 11:15 PM
Walter:
First, I live 99.9 of my time in french and I am not very good at english.
I understand your feelings and the reason for the rant.
The reason I had posted my original message that way, was that dizzy seems to have problems reaching his minimal count for ordering the manual.
It was my way to tell him that he could reach his count more easily if he was broadening his distribution area.
At the same time, I totally understood his concern about the shipping and I would never have posted my message if he had reached his count easily.
If the message was offensive, I am sorry for it, It was never my intention.

Dizzy:
Thank you for your message, for the update of the original post and for the generous offer in the first place. 8-)
I would like to buy a copy of the manual, please.

Best regards,

Sylvain
01-13-2014, 06:13 AM
Bonjour Sylvain,

Your post was not offensive at all, it was just triggering a loaded spring. Merci pour votre compréhension.

d:-)
01-13-2014, 08:00 AM
I would like to order a copy as well (I'm UK based).

Preference would be A5 size, but that's not critical.

regards, Derek
01-13-2014, 07:56 PM
Me too! I'm in the UK as well.

Nigel (UK)
01-14-2014, 05:14 PM
Would be interested in a copy as well. I have it on a tablet but this is not really comfortable as a reference.

I live in Austria (next to Germany, no kangaroos ;-).

I suppose you 'll be able to use some cardboard type for the front/back covers and suggest a glossy finish to keep them from staining quickly. (I think this can be done by covering them with a thin film for small printing runs.)

Thanks for the initiative!
01-14-2014, 05:41 PM
(01-14-2014 05:14 PM)Siegfried Wrote:  Would be interested in a copy as well. I have it on a tablet but this is not really comfortable as a reference.

I live in Austria (next to Germany, no kangaroos ;-).

I suppose you 'll be able to use some cardboard type for the front/back covers and suggest a glossy finish to keep them from staining quickly. (I think this can be done by covering them with a thin film for small printing runs.)

Thanks for the initiative!

We get a cardboard cover in the prices quotes so far, but this can be upgraded to: gloss lamination, matt lamination, or non-scuff velvet lamination. This would push the cost over £10 each though. What does everyone think?

With you on board, we have ten people. :-)

I'll leave it a few more days in case there's any more interest.
01-14-2014, 06:29 PM
Would be interested to see non-scuff velvet ;-) Sounds like something to cover erotic prints

Any of the there will do for me. I think it's worth an extra two quid as it will make it way more durable (and look smarter and better match the WP34S book).

Siegfried
01-14-2014, 06:55 PM
(01-14-2014 05:41 PM)dizzy Wrote:  We get a cardboard cover in the prices quotes so far, but this can be upgraded to: gloss lamination, matt lamination, or non-scuff velvet lamination. This would push the cost over £10 each though. What does everyone think?

For me, a cardboard cover will do. After all, it's the content what counts, isn't it?

d;-)
01-14-2014, 08:13 PM
(01-14-2014 06:55 PM)walter b Wrote:  For me, a cardboard cover will do. After all, it's the content what counts, isn't it?
That's why I'd like to have the contents well preserved and if it's used a lot a plain cover will get smudged in no time. You can of course argue that if it's used very frequently it will gain it's own smooth silky handworn texture. We actually have a word for that in German but it can't be translated properly ;-)

Just to make it sure: I'm in for one with or without laminated cover.
01-14-2014, 08:40 PM
(01-14-2014 06:29 PM)Siegfried Wrote:  Would be interested to see non-scuff velvet ;-) Sounds like something to cover erotic prints

Any of the there will do for me. I think it's worth an extra two quid as it will make it way more durable (and look smarter and better match the WP34S book).

Siegfried

Whilst I would be fine with the extra two quids, I don't mind if we go for the standard cardboard version either

Cheers, Terje
01-14-2014, 10:28 PM
I am ok with both cover style.
Sylvain (CAN)
01-14-2014, 10:44 PM
(01-14-2014 10:28 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I am ok with both cover style.
Sylvain (CAN)

So am I. But I prefer a cardboard cover with matt lamination (like the HP 50g User's Manual from Dynatech).

Martin
01-15-2014, 07:53 AM
I'd be happy to pay the extra for laminated covers (of any type) for the improved durability, but if the vote is for plain cardboard it wouldn't be a problem to me.

Derek
01-15-2014, 08:20 AM
(01-14-2014 08:13 PM)Siegfried Wrote:  
(01-14-2014 06:55 PM)walter b Wrote:  For me, a cardboard cover will do. After all, it's the content what counts, isn't it?
That's why I'd like to have the contents well preserved and if it's used a lot a plain cover will get smudged in no time. You can of course argue that if it's used very frequently it will gain it's own smooth silky handworn texture. We actually have a word for that in German but it can't be translated properly ;-)

Just to make it sure: I'm in for one with or without laminated cover.

FYI, there are cheap adhesive transparent foils available you can apply on any book you expect to be heavily used Wink

d:-)
01-15-2014, 01:39 PM
(01-14-2014 05:41 PM)dizzy Wrote:  I'll leave it a few more days in case there's any more interest.

I'm interested too. My vote would be for some kind of laminated cover, but I'll happily accept whatever is decided.

Paul Onions
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-15-2014, 03:11 PM
Gloss lamination is the cheaper of the three options, and in fact keeps the cost under £10, so I guess we should go with that. The cardboard cover is 300gsm, so not very protective by itself.

BTW: we could upgrade from 80gsm to 100gsm paper for very little extra printing cost, but it would push the weight of the manual over 1kg. A quick look at costs suggests about +£3 extra postage (for all destinations) for this. Just to put yet another option on the table.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)