Advanced User's Reference - printed version
01-10-2014, 01:18 AM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2015 01:54 AM by dizzy.)
Advanced User's Reference - printed version
There used to be a printed version of the HP49G+/50G Advanced User's Reference manual, but I hear it's no longer being sold. At least, there doesn't appear to be a way to order one from hpcalc.org.

I'd really like a hard copy of this. I was thinking about whether I could get one printed on demand, but the costs for a single copy are quite steep. It would be economical to do a print run of around 20 (even more so with a larger run). The cost would be about £8 GBP per piece.

[Edit: two print runs now completed!]
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2014, 06:12 AM
RE: Advanced User's Reference - printed version
Presuming a reasonable postage to Germany, please count me in.

d:-)
01-10-2014, 04:02 PM
(01-10-2014 06:12 AM)walter b Wrote:  Presuming a reasonable postage to Germany, please count me in.

I had a cursory look into postage costs. If we print it A4, then posting to Germany will cost about £15.

I wonder if it's worth considering a smaller (A5-ish?) size. It would be a bit cheaper to post and also slightly cheaper to print.
01-10-2014, 04:43 PM (This post was last modified: 01-10-2014 07:24 PM by Martin Paech.)
Great idea! I am also very interested.

(01-10-2014 04:02 PM)dizzy Wrote:  I wonder if it's worth considering a smaller (A5-ish?) size. It would be a bit cheaper to post and also slightly cheaper to print.

My hardcopy of the User's Manual (P/N F2229AA-90009, German) was printed on A5 paper—in my opinion this format would be perfect.

Martin
01-10-2014, 07:51 PM
(01-10-2014 01:18 AM)dizzy Wrote:  There used to be a printed version of the HP49G+/50G Advanced User's Reference manual, but I hear it's no longer being sold. At least, there doesn't appear to be a way to order one from hpcalc.org.

I'd really like a hard copy of this. I was thinking about whether I could get one printed on demand, but the costs for a single copy are quite steep. It would be economical to do a print run of around 20 (even more so with a larger run). The cost would be about £8 GBP per piece.

Is anyone interested in buying one of these (for cost price, of course, I'm not looking to make a profit) if I print a batch? I'm based in the UK (as is the printer I'm considering), so I suppose this is mainly for UK/EU folks.

I'm in. Local postage only Smile

Cheers, Terje
01-10-2014, 08:03 PM
+ 1 (this extra comment is only because you now need more then five characters - spaces don't count)
01-10-2014, 08:24 PM
I would like a copy.
-Chad
01-10-2014, 09:02 PM
(01-10-2014 04:02 PM)dizzy Wrote:  
(01-10-2014 06:12 AM)walter b Wrote:  Presuming a reasonable postage to Germany, please count me in.

I had a cursory look into postage costs. If we print it A4, then posting to Germany will cost about £15.

I wonder if it's worth considering a smaller (A5-ish?) size. It would be a bit cheaper to post and also slightly cheaper to print.

Sending such matter is normally cheaper here. E.g. in a padded envelope, a total weight of 1kg within a volume of 35cm x 25cm x 5cm needs a postage of 7,- € from Germany to UK. But Royal Mail may be special Wink

01-10-2014, 09:25 PM
(01-10-2014 09:02 PM)walter b Wrote:  Sending such matter is normally cheaper here. E.g. in a padded envelope, a total weight of 1kg within a volume of 35cm x 25cm x 5cm needs a postage of 7,- € from Germany to UK. But Royal Mail may be special Wink

UK airmail 1000 grams no tracking etc. to Germany would be £7.85. In addition there would presumably be packaging and handling costs. http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder. The total charge would is in any event be for dizzy to set.

Cheers, Terje
01-10-2014, 09:30 PM
(01-10-2014 09:25 PM)Terje Vallestad Wrote:  UK airmail 1000 grams no tracking etc. to Germany would be £7.85. In addition there would presumably be packaging and handling costs. http://www.royalmail.com/price-finder. The total charge would is in any event be for dizzy to set.

For sure Smile
01-10-2014, 09:39 PM
Unfortunately, the AUR is nearly 700 pages. So 1kg is a tad conservative. :-)
01-10-2014, 09:57 PM
Hmm. Maybe my estimate was a little high.

A5 @ 80gsm would weigh about 1.6kg, which would be £10.75 + packing to Germany, using Airmail.

The cost of the A5 version (assuming 20 copies) would be £6.
01-12-2014, 03:31 PM
If we can get to 10 then the price would be £8.

Can we find four more people? Or is everyone playing with their shiny Primes now? :-)
01-12-2014, 03:44 PM
How much for shipping have potential buyers e.g. in the Americas or in "Down under" to expect?

Martin
01-12-2014, 05:07 PM
I would be interested but I live near Montreal/Quebec/Canada outside of your European delivery target.
Sylvain
01-12-2014, 05:34 PM
(01-12-2014 05:07 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I would be interested but I live near Montreal/Quebec/Canada outside of your European delivery target.

Please apologize, but IMHO dizzy erroneously made a good ol' solid European advertising instead of doing it the US-way. He should have written

Will ship worldwide.

and stayed quiet until somebody from over(our)seas really wants it shipped; then there would be enough time to react with extensive shipping costs without the slightest sense of guilt. Or respond then (not earlier!) that he's not doing business overseas (without even mentioning the fact that he advertised worldwide shipping before and still does). Look at e.g. eldoradotrading (California) for learning that way. It's about time to feed back what comes the other way over. [/rant, but feeling better now]

Sorry, Sylvain, I didn't want to send that to a Canadian, feel free to forward it southwest.
01-12-2014, 05:47 PM
(01-12-2014 03:31 PM)dizzy Wrote:  If we can get to 10 then the price would be £8.

Can we find four more people? Or is everyone playing with their shiny Primes now? :-)

I may be interested but I would like to know two things: do you plan to print it in a single volume or in two volumes as on hpcalc.org? What kind of binding do you plan to use?
01-12-2014, 06:58 PM
(01-12-2014 05:07 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I would be interested but I live near Montreal/Quebec/Canada outside of your European delivery target.
Sylvain

I'm more than happy to forward these worldwide, I just assumed that the postage costs might be make it an unattractive proposition for people outside of Europe. Apologies for being unclear in my original post.

I'll post some worldwide postage costs shortly.
01-12-2014, 07:06 PM
(01-12-2014 05:47 PM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  
(01-12-2014 03:31 PM)dizzy Wrote:  If we can get to 10 then the price would be £8.

I may be interested but I would like to know two things: do you plan to print it in a single volume or in two volumes as on hpcalc.org? What kind of binding do you plan to use?

Current plans are for a single volume, with spiral binding, printed in monochrome.

I'm open to alternative ideas. Splitting into two volumes would obviously be more expensive though.
01-12-2014, 07:22 PM
Okay, so airmail to USA/Canada is about £21, with 5 days estimate, no tracking.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)