NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
08-01-2023, 09:04 AM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2023 09:15 AM by redglyph.)
RE: NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
I received mine today. It's very well packaged, I must say; there's no risk for it to be damaged and the presentation is very good. I'm also very pleased to see a printed manual (in colours!) accompanying the calculator because it's rare these days. It's only the Owner's Handbook, not the Advanced Functions Handbook (but I have the originals).

I've done a quick test and didn't notice any problem with the keys, so I won't cross fingers right now because it wouldn't help, but I hope it's fine. The touch isn't the same as the original calculators but good enough - definitely much better than the Limited Edition and the SwissMicros calculators, even the DM15L. The f and g keys are not straight though, they're freely rotating a little and don't inspire confidence. Making quality calculators is a lost art, I suppose. Wink

I chose the standard case and I must say it's too limp, so it's awkward to put and remove. It's not really practical for daily use, so I'll use the case of another calculator instead.

Overall, I'm pleased by the product, even if it's expensive. There's been an obvious effort put into making it, particularly by removing the few last bugs found in the original and the LE, so thanks to those who were involved!

(07-31-2023 12:19 PM)spa1fwg Wrote:  Hi,

I have received today my new HP15c Collectors Edition with S/N 323, and appears as:

L/NO. 9C./323

9C what is it?

The serial number is at the bottom right, in white on black. Smile
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-01-2023, 01:01 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2023 07:45 AM by smatthys.)
(07-25-2023 07:17 PM)smatthys Wrote:  I ordered mine at Calcuso in Germany on July 10.
According to their website it's not available yet.
A Swiss calculator store indicates an availability in September...

Update: Just got my question regarding an approximate delivery date answered by Calcuso: mid or end September... Sad

Maybe you can imagine how much I envy you guys already holding your HP15C CE's in your hands... Wink
08-01-2023, 02:08 PM
Let me add my voice to the choir...
Mine has just been delivered after crossing a couple of borders, carrying a nice triple 7 serial #

:)

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2023, 05:13 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2023 08:19 PM by spa1fwg.)
Hi,

In order to preserve the manual as well as possible and so that it does not get damaged, I have made a photocopy of it, in this way it will be a good HP 15c CE calculator.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/13ceqFXE...p=drivesdk

Regards.
Paco.
08-01-2023, 05:15 PM
Hi again, Gerson,

Quote:On your brand new HP-15C CE you might want to try Ramanujan’s original approximation [...]

Actually I calculated the expression you posted with my brand new CE, as I was using it when your message appeared in the forum. Of course, it was a cinch, RPN is so second-nature to us.

Quote:I have ordered mine from the same place you have, but I don’t expect to get it any time soon [...] by what I’ve been reading in this thread, it is worth the wait.

You bet !

Quote:Don’t hesitate to get yourself another one [...] one went to my younger brother [...]

As Queen would say: "Big mistake". Younger brothers never deserve such a sacrifice. Nor do older brothers for that matter ...

Quote:[...] and one was sold to a friend with no profit,

Another mistake: you should never sell such calc to a friend, either present it as a gift or else keep it.

Quote:I still remember when I got my original 234B unit forty years ago, I still remember how it smelled like when brand new.

I can relate to the smell thing, happened to me with my just (i.e. ~45 years ago) acquired NIB HP-67, still remember it. But, what's a "234B unit" !?

On another note, you may be interested to know that my new SRC#15, specifically dedicated to the HP-15C & friends (what else ?) will be posted in a few days, though on second thought perhaps I might delay it until September to try and maximize the audience, as most forum members are vacationing in July-August and the participation here seems at a low (or else this thread would be already thrice as long).

Best regards.
V.

All My Articles & other Materials here:  Valentin Albillo's HP Collection

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-01-2023, 06:41 PM
(08-01-2023 05:13 PM)spa1fwg Wrote:  In order to preserve the manual as well as possible and so that it does not get damaged, I have made a photocopy of it, in this way it will be a good HP 15c CE calculator.

You could have just printed the PDF file.

— Ian Abbott
08-01-2023, 06:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2023 07:45 PM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
(08-01-2023 05:15 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  .

Quote:Don’t hesitate to get yourself another one [...] one went to my younger brother [...]

As Queen would say: "Big mistake". Younger brothers never deserve such a sacrifice. Nor do older brothers for that matter ...

I did that as a compensation for claiming back my original 15C ten years later. When I bought a 28S I gave the older calculator to him, for his CE studies. That was a mistake, I should have kept it and given him an 11C instead. Anyway, despite some heavy use, it still works nicely and is the one I use on a daily basis because of the very reliable keyboard.

(08-01-2023 05:15 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  
Quote:[...] and one was sold to a friend with no profit,

Another mistake: you should never sell such calc to a friend, either present it as a gift or else keep it.

Yes, I know. I had announced it in a local auction site for a higher price. It turns out he was the first interested buyer and didn’t ask for any rebate, but I offered him a 50% discount just the same. Also, I had already sent him my 33c for free, because I didn’t like it.

(08-01-2023 05:15 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  On another note, you may be interested to know that my new SRC#15, specifically dedicated to the HP-15C & friends (what else ?) will be posted in a few days, though on second thought perhaps I might delay it until September to try and maximize the audience, as most forum members are vacationing in July-August and the participation here seems at a low (or else this thread would be already thrice as long).

I am looking forward to it. Even though lately I haven’t been participating, I like to read the posts.

Back to the approximation, what about making

\(x=5+\frac{7}{5000000000+\left({1000000+\sqrt{1000\times5!-e^5}}\right)\sqrt{5}}\) ?

Now we have 5 5’s for an error of about 5E-25 :-)
But I will go no further as I am running out of digits. Free42 has only 34 SD.

Best regards,

Gerson.

Edited to fix a typo and to include the other part of the approximation.

\(\frac{63}{25}\left({\frac{17+3x\sqrt{x}}{7+3x\sqrt{x}}}\right)\)

Based on the following approximation by Ramanujan:

\(\frac{63}{25}\left({\frac{17+15\sqrt{5}}{7+15\sqrt{5}}}\right)\)
08-02-2023, 02:10 AM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2023 02:15 AM by Gerson W. Barbosa.)
I received an email from Packlink Spain this afternoon saying my HP-15C CE is due to arrive in a week, on August the 8th ( ¡ Muchas gracias, Señor Divassón ! ).
As of today a new law is in effect, which adds a 17% State Tax in addition to the 60% import tax for purchases above US$ 50.00 abroad, but no problem! From what I can remember, the final price is cheaper than what I payed 40 years ago for an 15C for myself and an 11C for my brother for his Agronomy studies. Mine is still up and running, but his failed two years ago, and he still waiting for retirement from his job at Ministry of Agriculture. Fortunately he doesn’t need it anymore, but I remember he liked it very much while in college, because no one would ever borrow his calculator :-)
08-02-2023, 08:31 AM
(08-01-2023 06:41 PM)ijabbott Wrote:  
(08-01-2023 05:13 PM)spa1fwg Wrote:  In order to preserve the manual as well as possible and so that it does not get damaged, I have made a photocopy of it, in this way it will be a good HP 15c CE calculator.

You could have just printed the PDF file.

I think that's what he did - look at the photo: it's not the manual as we received it. It's ring-bound (which is much more practical, like the original manuals), matt, and with a border. It looks like an enlarged print. Smile
08-02-2023, 11:48 AM
After closer examination, I see that the bezel is slightly scratched. It would have been better to protect it with a film. Sad

Fortunately, it's not too visible.
08-02-2023, 12:08 PM
(08-02-2023 11:48 AM)redglyph Wrote:  After closer examination, I see that the bezel is slightly scratched. It would have been better to protect it with a film. Sad

Fortunately, it's not too visible.

I've noticed the same after a few days. Just from using the supplied pouch.
08-02-2023, 01:54 PM
Mine is projected to arrive this Friday in USA
(08-02-2023 02:10 AM)Gerson W. Barbosa Wrote:  ...an email from Packlink Spain this afternoon...

Tuesday I got my tracking message from Packlink estimating the delivery date as 4 August 2023.

My home is in Ohio and my order went in on May 2nd.

Alan
08-02-2023, 02:53 PM
Just received
Ordered from eduwinkel.nl in May
Thanks Klaas
08-02-2023, 04:22 PM
(08-02-2023 11:48 AM)redglyph Wrote:  I see that the bezel is slightly scratched. It would have been better to protect it with a film.
Yes.
There is no protective film on the bezel or elsewhere.
08-02-2023, 04:41 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2023 04:42 PM by Maximilian Hohmann.)
Hello,

got my parcel from Spain today :-) I opened the package containing serial number 262 (an interesting number for an aviator, although I am not so much interestested in military stuff, but still...). The other one I leave untouced for the time being, if the serial number are consecutive it is eiter #261 or #263 (prime). Let's wait and see how long I can withstand the urge to open it and have a look!

Look and feel are perfect, no bad "f" and "g" keys or other flaws. And it smells very new!

Many thanks to all who make this possible!

Regards
Max
08-02-2023, 04:42 PM
I've never had an HP 15C or HP 12C to compare to, but the HP 15C CE looks well built. All keys work, no problems with keys.
My everyday calculator is HP 35s, I think this experience will allow me to quickly learn the new calculator. I like it.
08-02-2023, 04:45 PM
(08-02-2023 04:41 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  I opened the package containing serial number 262
My number is 01176. Smile
08-02-2023, 04:55 PM (This post was last modified: 08-02-2023 05:10 PM by paf.)
I just received mine. High quality plastic structure, high quality packaging, keys are OK, except the f ang g which are rotating a little bit on themselves. I have a dust particle behind the screen (I can accept scratches, but I do not like to have particles behind the screen). Except that this is really faster than original one, and even 5 times faster than the DM15L @48MHz.

HP-15C CE (SN : 00877)
HP-32S
HP-42S (two of them:))
08-02-2023, 05:16 PM
I've seen the speculations earlier in this thread, but has there been any confirmation of the CPU used for the Collector's Edition? Is it the same as the current HP-12C?

I'm curious, but not enough to disassemble it. Big Grin
08-02-2023, 05:19 PM
(08-02-2023 05:16 PM)redglyph Wrote:  I've seen the speculations earlier in this thread, but has there been any confirmation of the CPU used for the Collector's Edition? Is it the same as the current HP-12C?

I'm curious, but not enough to disassemble it. Big Grin

It is the same CPU. The firmware was tested on current production HP12c.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)