RE: The RCL40 Book
My copy was delivered today.
Awesome.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2022, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 11-23-2022 11:58 AM by TellyS.)
(11-23-2022 09:42 AM)redglyph Wrote:  I've tried to reach them but no feedback so far either, it's probably one person who may be busy

I think you are right. It will just take a little longer to get it. We are used to Amazon delivery times and everything else seems like an eternity. Also, now that I know RCL40 exists I am eager to read it. RCL20 was excellent also.

Telly
11-24-2022, 10:06 PM
Hi TellyS and others,

I'm doing the RCL40 order fulfilment. I don't have direct access to HPCC's Paypal account so every few days the Treasurer sends me a CSV dump of the new orders. I've been away on business for a couple of days so I know there are a few waiting. Hopefully I will get through them all this weekend (unless you've ordered RCL20 as well in which case I need to go and collect some more as I've run out of stock at home).

I'm emailing people on despatch so at least you will know it's in the post.
Find all posts by this user
11-25-2022, 01:19 PM
(11-23-2022 11:56 AM)TellyS Wrote:  I think you are right. It will just take a little longer to get it. We are used to Amazon delivery times and everything else seems like an eternity. Also, now that I know RCL40 exists I am eager to read it. RCL20 was excellent also.

Telly

As long as it's not in the same state as what Amazon is usually sending, it's fine. Big Grin
12-04-2022, 03:21 PM
Still no reply whatsoever, I'm starting to think something got lost somewhere.
12-04-2022, 03:47 PM
(12-04-2022 03:21 PM)redglyph Wrote:  Still no reply whatsoever, I'm starting to think something got lost somewhere.

I did get a response and a confirmation of my mailing address. It's just a slow process. You can try emailing editor@hpcc.org.
12-04-2022, 03:58 PM
I received my copies of RCL 20 and RCL 40 earlier this week. I an about half way through reading RCL 20. It is truly enjoyable. Thanks everyone involved for preserving this history.

My Collection: 55, 67T, 25PLP, 34C, 15C, 16C, 41CV, 41CX, 41-CL, DM41X, DM42, 42S, 48G, 71B, 75C, 95LX, HP-150, Portable+, HP-86, Integral PC.
12-04-2022, 06:43 PM
I ordered both books, and I got an email last week saying that they had run out of copies of RCL20 and had to get more from the author. No updates as yet.
12-04-2022, 08:35 PM
I received my copies of both books yesterday.
12-05-2022, 11:13 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2022 11:13 AM by pier4r.)
Thanks for sharing and a big thanks for the contributors!

---
Semi-OT: in the http://www.hpcc.org/rcl40/ page there is a link I didn't know : https://literature.hpcalc.org/

Impressive how hpcalc amazes me even after so many years. I thought I knew the site structure but the literature part is totally new for me. Eric what a work!

---

A question for the fellow Hp lovers living in the EU. Since UK left the union, I know that there is the possibility to pay custom duties, and I wouldn't mind those if I didn't have to travel to the warehouse to pick the item (quite away from my place). I am unaware of the details about the UK-EU relationship, hence do we need to pay custom duties for the book? (Could be that some agreements were left in place, thus the question)

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
12-05-2022, 11:51 AM (This post was last modified: 12-05-2022 12:14 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(12-05-2022 11:13 AM)pier4r Wrote:  Impressive how hpcalc amazes me even after so many years. I thought I knew the site structure but the literature part is totally new for me. Eric what a work!

Impressive indeed!
Here is Eric's announcement.

(12-05-2022 11:13 AM)pier4r Wrote:  A question for the fellow Hp lovers living in the EU. Since UK left the union, I know that there is the possibility to pay custom duties, and I wouldn't mind those if I didn't have to travel to the warehouse to pick the item (quite away from my place). I am unaware of the details about the UK-EU relationship, hence do we need to pay custom duties for the book? (Could be that some agreements were left in place, thus the question)

I had to pay customs duties, but directly to the postwoman.

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
12-05-2022, 01:11 PM
(12-05-2022 11:51 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  
(12-05-2022 11:13 AM)pier4r Wrote:  A question for the fellow Hp lovers living in the EU. Since UK left the union, I know that there is the possibility to pay custom duties, and I wouldn't mind those if I didn't have to travel to the warehouse to pick the item (quite away from my place). I am unaware of the details about the UK-EU relationship, hence do we need to pay custom duties for the book? (Could be that some agreements were left in place, thus the question)

I had to pay customs duties, but directly to the postwoman.

Same for me - but payment was handled via online-payment to the Swedish post office before the book ended up in my mailbox.

Cheers,
Thomas

[35/45/55/65/67/97/80 21/25/29C 31E/32E/33E|C/34C/38E 41C|CV|CX 71B 10C/11C/12C/15C|CE/16C 32S|SII/42S 28C|S 48GX/49G/50G 35S 41X]
12-05-2022, 05:57 PM

Unfortunately different EU countries charge different rates. So Ireland is zero while Germany is 8% I think. I was surprised by this - I thought the EU had harmonised rates ages ago. Also I think this would have applied regardless of whether the UK had left the EU or not - because the UK rate is/was zero there would still have been a difference to be paid by someone.
12-06-2022, 07:00 AM
(12-05-2022 05:57 PM)BruceH Wrote:  Unfortunately different EU countries charge different rates. So Ireland is zero while Germany is 8% I think. I was surprised by this - I thought the EU had harmonised rates ages ago.

Yes, it is a mess ... Tongue

For Sweden I pay 6% VAT (for books etc, normally 25% VAT for most other things) and then ~7.5€ for handling, so in this case ~9€ on top of the price (including shipping) ... Should have bought both books at the same time ... Big Grin

Cheers,
Thomas

[35/45/55/65/67/97/80 21/25/29C 31E/32E/33E|C/34C/38E 41C|CV|CX 71B 10C/11C/12C/15C|CE/16C 32S|SII/42S 28C|S 48GX/49G/50G 35S 41X]
12-06-2022, 07:12 PM (This post was last modified: 12-06-2022 07:13 PM by pier4r.)
(12-05-2022 11:51 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  Impressive indeed!
Here is Eric's announcement.

Thank you for the link, since 2018 I missed a lot of those awesome threads.

For the custom duties, thank you all. In my experience I always have to go to the custom duty warehouse and it is ok in Summer (biking a bit), less in Winter. I need to remember it then in a few months.

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
12-08-2022, 01:37 AM
(12-05-2022 11:13 AM)pier4r Wrote:  Thanks for sharing and a big thanks for the contributors!
---
Semi-OT: in the http://www.hpcc.org/rcl40/ page there is a link I didn't know : https://literature.hpcalc.org/
Impressive how hpcalc amazes me even after so many years. I thought I knew the site structure but the literature part is totally new for me. Eric what a work!
Hi everyone,
That's a really great library, 1483 books online for free-downloading. It includes articles/books just about right up to the present day - well worth a look, for those books you always wanted a copy of!
DA
12-08-2022, 06:25 PM
Just received notice that both books are on their way. Hats off to HPCC and to Eric for videos of all three conferences. Plenty to keep me entertained and informed on those long winter nights ahead!
12-08-2022, 07:42 PM
Same, got confirmation earlier this week. Looking forward to digging in!
12-09-2022, 08:41 AM (This post was last modified: 12-09-2022 08:41 AM by Ángel Martin.)
BruceH ' Wrote:  Unfortunately different EU countries charge different rates. So Ireland is zero while Germany is 8% I think. I was surprised by this - I thought the EU had harmonised rates ages ago. Also I think this would have applied regardless of whether the UK had left the EU or not - because the UK rate is/was zero there would still have been a difference to be paid by someone.

My impression is that after brexit it's all about bilateral agreements between each EU country and the UK. Oh well...

"To live or die by your own sword one must first learn to wield it aptly."
12-09-2022, 09:12 PM
(12-09-2022 08:41 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  
BruceH ' Wrote:  Unfortunately different EU countries charge different rates. So Ireland is zero while Germany is 8% I think. I was surprised by this - I thought the EU had harmonised rates ages ago. Also I think this would have applied regardless of whether the UK had left the EU or not - because the UK rate is/was zero there would still have been a difference to be paid by someone.

My impression is that after brexit it's all about bilateral agreements between each EU country and the UK. Oh well...

No, one has to differentiate between VAT on import and customs tariffs. The idea is that goods sent from one country to another are exempt from VAT in the sending country while VAT is charged in the receiving country. That's even possible within the EU. If the article wasn't subject to VAT in the sending country, VAT in the receiving country applies, but normally this doesn't happen because it implies additional superfluous paperwork. Each country in the EU sets its own VAT.

Now, different countries have different limits for tax threshold. Thus it may happen that you have to pay 7% VAT on import for books (normal VAT is 19% in Germany)- no threshold anymore in Germany (it used to be ~30€) - and nothing in Ireland - don't know of any threshold there.

There are no specific VAT coming from for specific countries.

Custom is applied only if a certain value is exceeded. These custom rates are equal throughout the EU and other countries in the CU (customs union) e.g. Switzerland or Norway. The tariffs are dependent on the nature of the goods. E.g. Books=0% DVD-Player=13.9% Bicycles=15%.

It doesn't have to do anything with Brexit.

HTH Günter

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)