How to Update 41-CL
04-30-2017, 09:56 PM
How to Update 41-CL
After deciding that I would like to update my 41CL to use the added ROM images I have a few questions:

- I can flash some content in RAM to the FLASH at a location/page that is empty after erasing it and writing 0xFFF to it, right?

- I have to erase a blanc page before wiring to it, right? [like (0x864)]

- How do I write an OS or IMDB update to FLASH?
+ Do I need to transfer the say *.bin file first to RAM or can I write to FLASH directly with a
PC?
+ What program should I use for Windows 10 to FLASH the calculator?
+ What setup have you used successfully to flash the calculator?
+ What Serial Port to USB adapter do you recommend?

- If I programmed a program how do I write it to FLASH?
+ How do I create my own ROM(-image)?
x What IDE/toolchain can I use to code in MCODE?
* Can you point me to a good MCODE tutuorial/reference/book?

- And finally does anyone have the latest OS and IMDB image?
+ systemyde.com has been offline for a week or so....

Tom
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2017, 02:40 AM
RE: How to Update 41-CL
(04-30-2017 09:56 PM)thomas Wrote:  After deciding that I would like to update my 41CL to use the added ROM images I have a few questions:

- I can flash some content in RAM to the FLASH at a location/page that is empty after erasing it and writing 0xFFF to it, right?

+ Do I need to transfer the say *.bin file first to RAM or can I write to FLASH directly with a
PC?

Tom

Wow, that's a lot of big questions! Most of the answers to your questions can be found searching prior posts in the Forum. It would be best to search here first, to find info that has been posted already, then narrow your questions down to specific issues?

http://www.systemyde.com/hp41/ is up now, I just checked.

--Bob Prosperi
05-01-2017, 03:03 AM
(04-30-2017 09:56 PM)thomas Wrote:  After deciding that I would like to update my 41CL to use the added ROM images I have a few questions:

PC?

Tom

I check the 41CL website at least every other day. It hasn't been down that I am aware of.

Most of your questions are answered in: http://systemyde.com/pdf/cl_flash.pdf

I use SDK41R6 for all of my mcode. Available at TOS. I admit to being biased, but I think that the NEWT manual does a reasonable job of explaining how the various instructions work: http://systemyde.com/pdf/newt.pdf But it's the typical datasheet format, which puts a lot of people off.

Monte

PS If you can hold off for a while, there will be some news on the CL update front around the time of HHC2017, if not before.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-01-2017, 07:08 PM
(05-01-2017 02:40 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Wow, that's a lot of big questions! Most of the answers to your questions can be found searching prior posts in the Forum. It would be best to search here first, to find info that has been posted already, then narrow your questions down to specific issues?

So I expect a lot of big answers Wink

Well, I did search with my favorite search engine and used the search function for this forum but it did not turn any tutorial style content for flashing the 41CL...

(05-01-2017 03:03 AM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  I check the 41CL website at least every other day. It hasn't been down that I am aware of.

I use SDK41R6 for all of my mcode. Available at TOS. I admit to being biased, but I think that the NEWT manual does a reasonable job of explaining how the various instructions work: http://systemyde.com/pdf/newt.pdf But it's the typical datasheet format, which puts a lot of people off.

Monte

PS If you can hold off for a while, there will be some news on the CL update front around the time of HHC2017, if not before.

The Systemyde Int. Corp. webite is online but I couldnt access it form my home network; probably some misconfigured firewall in my router, sorry.

By 'news' do you mean a 'Flash the CL for Dummies'? just kidding Tongue
05-01-2017, 07:49 PM
(05-01-2017 07:08 PM)thomas Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 02:40 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Wow, that's a lot of big questions! Most of the answers to your questions can be found searching prior posts in the Forum. It would be best to search here first, to find info that has been posted already, then narrow your questions down to specific issues?

So I expect a lot of big answers Wink

Well, I did search with my favorite search engine and used the search function for this forum but it did not turn any tutorial style content for flashing the 41CL...

(05-01-2017 03:03 AM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  I check the 41CL website at least every other day. It hasn't been down that I am aware of.

Monte

The Systemyde Int. Corp. webite is online but I couldnt access it form my home network; probably some misconfigured firewall in my router, sorry.

By 'news' do you mean a 'Flash the CL for Dummies'? just kidding Tongue

I'd buy a copy! Wink

Tom L

Tom L
Cui bono?
05-01-2017, 08:07 PM
(05-01-2017 07:08 PM)thomas Wrote:  By 'news' do you mean a 'Flash the CL for Dummies'? just kidding Tongue

Yes, essentially. 41CL-side details here: http://systemyde.com/pdf/cl_update.pdf
05-01-2017, 09:15 PM
(05-01-2017 08:07 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 07:08 PM)thomas Wrote:  By 'news' do you mean a 'Flash the CL for Dummies'? just kidding Tongue

Yes, essentially. 41CL-side details here: http://systemyde.com/pdf/cl_update.pdf

Monte and I have been working for the past 4 months on a solution to do an automatic update of the 41CL boards.
This project is driven by Monte and build around the CL UPDATE ROM.
The host software is written in Java 8 and thus compatible with all Java supported platforms (Windows, macOS, Linux, etc)

This is a follow-up project of my semi-automatic update solution presented at HHC2016 and at Allschwil.
It was a big improvement over the manual update but was still too complicated for most users.

I have been able to do a fully automatic update of my v2, v3 & v4 boards, including the OS section, for the first time last weekend.
There are still bugs, but things are progressing nicely, the plan is to have everything ready for the HHC2017 meeting.

Sylvain
05-01-2017, 10:53 PM
(05-01-2017 09:15 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  I have been able to do a fully automatic update of my v2, v3 & v4 boards, including the OS section, for the first time last weekend.
There are still bugs, but things are progressing nicely, the plan is to have everything ready for the HHC2017 meeting.

Sylvain

This is excellent news! Let me know if you need an "alpha" or "beta" tester ... as long as the bugs don't "brick" my CL, I'm happy to test for you. Smile [v4 board, Win10 PC, Java 64bit v8.0.1210.13]
05-02-2017, 03:26 AM

Tom

I use a Sabrent USB to RS232 Serial adapter that I picked up from Fry's Electronics a while back. There are beaucoup different models out there, and lots of knockoffs I wouldn't trust. I selected a particular Sabrent model because it used a genuine FTDI chip and I've been happy with their other products I've bought. You can find a description here:

https://www.sabrent.com/product/SBT-FTDI...i-chipset/

It works without a problem for the HP48, HP95LX and of course, the 41CL. If you're impatient to try a new or updated module (Total Rekall 2017, for instance?), you can always transfer it to RAM via the serial port. Plenty of RAM to hold your images while waiting...

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
05-02-2017, 07:17 PM
(05-01-2017 09:15 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 08:07 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  Yes, essentially. 41CL-side details here: http://systemyde.com/pdf/cl_update.pdf

Monte and I have been working for the past 4 months on a solution to do an automatic update of the 41CL boards.
The host software is written in Java 8 and thus compatible with all Java supported platforms (Windows, macOS, Linux, etc)

This is a follow-up project of my semi-automatic update solution presented at HHC2016 and at Allschwil.
It was a big improvement over the manual update but was still too complicated for most users.

I have been able to do a fully automatic update of my v2, v3 & v4 boards, including the OS section, for the first time last weekend.

Sylvain

Hi Sylvain! I wasn't aware that there is a CL UPDATE ROM! If I understand correctly, I've to plug this very ROM to be able to use the auto-update functions and your auto-update-process-Software, right? But, I cannot locate the ROM-Image in the Library. Could you please direct me to it (what is the name in the database?). Thanks in advance!
Juergen
05-02-2017, 08:09 PM (This post was last modified: 05-02-2017 08:11 PM by Monte Dalrymple.)
(05-02-2017 07:17 PM)JurgenRo Wrote:  Hi Sylvain! I wasn't aware that there is a CL UPDATE ROM! If I understand correctly, I've to plug this very ROM to be able to use the auto-update functions and your auto-update-process-Software, right? But, I cannot locate the ROM-Image in the Library. Could you please direct me to it (what is the name in the database?). Thanks in advance!
Juergen

It's not released yet. Just went out for Beta. I haven't decided on a mnemonic, but I may end up reusing YFNS.
05-02-2017, 10:02 PM
(05-02-2017 07:17 PM)JurgenRo Wrote:  Hi Sylvain! I wasn't aware that there is a CL UPDATE ROM! If I understand correctly, I've to plug this very ROM to be able to use the auto-update functions and your auto-update-process-Software, right? But, I cannot locate the ROM-Image in the Library. Could you please direct me to it (what is the name in the database?). Thanks in advance!
Juergen

Hello Juergen,

No update ROM or Java application has been released yet.

The update process will look like the following ...

First, you will have to download the update rom in the 41CL and activate it.
-> instructions will be supplied for this step

Then, you will have to start the java program on the host
Code:
Windows ex.: java -jar clupdate-0.5.1.jar --update rom_files.zip COM4 4800 [ENTER]
Linux   ex.: java -jar clupdate-0.5.1.jar --update rom_files.zip /dev/ttyUSB0 4800 [ENTER]

Finally you will have to do these steps on the 41CL
Code:
CMOPEN    // open the communication channel
"*"       // flash range to verify (* = all)
FLCHK?    // download FLDB as CFLDB, find outdated ROM images, update CFLDB, then upload CFLDB to the PC
"*"       // flash range to update (* = all)
FLUPD     // download outdated images found by FLCHK? and update flash memory
CMCLOSE   // close the communication channel

At that point your 41CL is up to date. 8-)

But like Monte said, we are just starting the limited beta phase and things are still soft at the moment.
I still need to add more functionality to the program, write the user manual, write the presentation file for the HHC2017, etc.

Please be patient, it is coming!

Sylvain

PS: in the meantime, read the cl_update.pdf document from Monte.
05-02-2017, 10:08 PM
(05-01-2017 09:15 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(05-01-2017 08:07 PM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  Yes, essentially. 41CL-side details here: http://systemyde.com/pdf/cl_update.pdf

Sylvain

Sylvain,

I assume that the host software will also allow for manual uploading? The CL UPDATE ROM sounds it will simplify updating the CL Flash library, but if I cannot get it on the CL, it doesn't help me. The problem I have been having is finding host software to connect to the CL (I use OS X). Either they keep crashing on me and I cannot figure out why or there are problems with uploading to the CL (the ROMS somehow doesn't upload completely).

Jack
05-03-2017, 01:24 AM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 01:31 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
(05-02-2017 10:08 PM)jwhsu Wrote:  Sylvain,

I assume that the host software will also allow for manual uploading? The CL UPDATE ROM sounds it will simplify updating the CL Flash library, but if I cannot get it on the CL, it doesn't help me. The problem I have been having is finding host software to connect to the CL (I use OS X). Either they keep crashing on me and I cannot figure out why or there are problems with uploading to the CL (the ROMS somehow doesn't upload completely).

Jack

Hello Jack,

Yes, it will allow uploading as well as downloading rom image.

Sylvain

List of current supported, tested and working commands:
Code:
command     parameter(s)                             description
----------- -------------------------------------- + ----------------------------------
--help                                             | list available commands
--manual                                           | show user's manual
--list      rom_files(.zip)                        | list dir/zip content
--validate  rom_files(.zip)                        | validate dir/zip content
--update    rom_files(.zip) serial-port baud-rate  | update CL to the dir/zip content
--upload    image_file.rom  serial-port baud-rate  | upload a ROM image to a 41CL
--download  image_file.rom  serial-port baud-rate  | download a ROM image from a 41CL
05-03-2017, 03:57 AM
(05-03-2017 01:24 AM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
(05-02-2017 10:08 PM)jwhsu Wrote:  Sylvain,

Jack

Hello Jack,

Yes, it will allow uploading as well as downloading rom image.

Sylvain

List of current supported, tested and working commands:
Code:
command     parameter(s)                             description
----------- -------------------------------------- + ----------------------------------
--help                                             | list available commands
--manual                                           | show user's manual
--list      rom_files(.zip)                        | list dir/zip content
--validate  rom_files(.zip)                        | validate dir/zip content
--update    rom_files(.zip) serial-port baud-rate  | update CL to the dir/zip content
--upload    image_file.rom  serial-port baud-rate  | upload a ROM image to a 41CL
--download  image_file.rom  serial-port baud-rate  | download a ROM image from a 41CL

Great! Looking forward to trying it out. -Jack
05-03-2017, 06:32 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 06:32 PM by aurelio.)
Anybody read this before? Smile
05-03-2017, 06:37 PM (This post was last modified: 05-03-2017 06:38 PM by aurelio.)
(05-02-2017 10:02 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  
Juergen

Hello Juergen,

Code:
Windows ex.: java -jar clupdate-0.5.1.jar --update rom_files.zip COM4 4800 [ENTER]
Linux   ex.: java -jar clupdate-0.5.1.jar --update rom_files.zip /dev/ttyUSB0 4800 [ENTER]

Code:
FLCHK?    // download FLDB as CFLDB, find outdated ROM images, update CFLDB, then upload CFLDB to the PC

But like Monte said, we are just starting the limited beta phase and things are still soft at the moment.
I still need to add more functionality to the program, write the user manual, write the presentation file for the HHC2017, etc.

Sylvain

Thank-you Sylvain, thank-you Monte, for your efforts
05-03-2017, 07:55 PM
(05-02-2017 10:02 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Hello Juergen,

Code:

Code:

Sylvain

Wow!! That is great News indeed!! I will read the cl_update and looking forward to this Milestone! Thank you Sylvain, Monte very much for the great work!!
Juergen
05-03-2017, 08:19 PM
One more GIANT reason to attend this year in Nashville!

Tres bien et merci, Sylvain!
05-04-2017, 12:49 AM
Come one, come all!

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)