Post Reply 
Should I get a 50G now?
05-17-2015, 06:15 AM
Post: #1
Should I get a 50G now?
HP Calculators are very hard to get where I live, but last weekend saw an HP-50G in a store for US$154. Was very tempted to get it. Is it worth it?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2015, 07:38 AM
Post: #2
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
Hello factor,

It is always worth to buy a hp 50g (sorry, I am a convinced user), but I am shure you can get for less then 154 dollars.

Sincerely peaceglue
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2015, 07:46 AM
Post: #3
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
It depends on where you live and what are the customs duties, shipping costs if you order from the global Internet shops. In my case, I can order from ebay or amazon, but the delivery costs for HP 50g is about 50 $. HP calculators are not sold in my country. I would be pleased if I could buy HP 50g in my country.
And Hp 50g will be more expensive in the near future.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2015, 07:51 AM
Post: #4
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
(05-17-2015 07:38 AM)peacecalc Wrote:  It is always worth to buy a hp 50g
+1
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2015, 09:06 AM
Post: #5
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
Last time I checked, they cost $75 on Amazon.com and the shipping was free in the US.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2015, 09:13 AM (This post was last modified: 05-17-2015 09:14 AM by Tugdual.)
Post: #6
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
50g is definitely worth but the price looks a bit high. I would negotiate it around 100$
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2015, 10:49 AM
Post: #7
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
It is not so easy,

the profile of "factor" says "Honk Kong", if there are no local stores the shipping costs roundabout 40 to 50 dollars from germany. But I can't imagine that is necessary, because the asian countries often offers electronical equipment cheaper then for instance in europe.

Sincerely peacecalc
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-17-2015, 10:32 PM
Post: #8
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
$154 (or the equivalent price in Europe) seems indeed a bit high for the 50g. Of course, I have no idea of the prices for HP calculators in Hong-Kong.

If the question is about the choice of the HP50g, some people will prefer the HP Prime because it is much more powerful and modern, but personally I prefer the HP50g.

If the question is now or later, the answer is now, because the HP50g will be discontinued soon. On the French HP site, the 50g is already sold out:
http://store.hp.com/FranceStore/Merch/Pr...t=&sel=ACC

Jean-Charles
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2015, 02:01 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2015 02:05 PM by factor.)
Post: #9
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
Thank you all for your input. Will probably get it next time going to that shop, mainly for a to-be-collector-item (yes I am sure the 50g is a rock-solid product in itself, but the collector-item reason is just to give myself a better excuse to get one while stock last). *Given* that it is still there Wink

As for the higher than usual price, that is the common problem we face here on the other side of the globe. The original manufacturer refuses to sell here (common problem, not just HP, for paper works/import restrictions/market strategy etc), and all we can get is through e-bay or unknown re-sellers.

Amazon won't do it most of the time, and the only time it did through 3rd party fulfiller, the price is outrageous. I searched Amazon for an HP Prime, and if I limit to those willing to ship here, the result is exactly 0.

Considering the risks, delays, shipping costs, you probably can imagine that a *real* product happens to be in-store behind the window, it is well worth the wait and uncertainties even if it is overpriced.. i hope this explains the consumer decision making process here.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-18-2015, 02:37 PM
Post: #10
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
Factor, have you considered posting an ad in the Classified forum here? Perhaps someone who already has a 50g and would be willing to sell it and ship it to you, or someone who has a store nearby where they are still being sold and he agrees to buy it and ship it to you, are a couple of options that may be acceptable.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2016, 03:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2016 03:26 PM by factor.)
Post: #11
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
(05-18-2015 02:37 PM)Don Shepherd Wrote:  Factor, have you considered posting an ad in the Classified forum here? Perhaps someone who already has a 50g and would be willing to sell it and ship it to you, or someone who has a store nearby where they are still being sold and he agrees to buy it and ship it to you, are a couple of options that may be acceptable.

Thanks Don for the advice. I'll check the forum.

Few days ago visited the store again, and saw it is back in the window after disappeared for some months. Incidentally, it has been almost about a year since I started this thread. Is this somewhat a sign or what Wink

   

HP20b in the back

   
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2016, 05:28 PM
Post: #12
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
(05-17-2015 09:06 AM)Marcio Wrote:  Last time I checked, they cost $75 on Amazon.com and the shipping was free in the US.

Roughly 95% of worlds population lives outside of the US...
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2016, 05:35 PM
Post: #13
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
(05-15-2016 05:28 PM)Vtile Wrote:  
(05-17-2015 09:06 AM)Marcio Wrote:  Last time I checked, they cost $75 on Amazon.com and the shipping was free in the US.

Roughly 95% of worlds population lives outside of the US...

and I am guessing not many of them know that Amazon operates outside the US too.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-15-2016, 05:36 PM (This post was last modified: 05-15-2016 05:58 PM by Vtile.)
Post: #14
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
(05-15-2016 05:35 PM)Marcio Wrote:  
(05-15-2016 05:28 PM)Vtile Wrote:  Roughly 95% of worlds population lives outside of the US...

and I am guessing not many of them know that Amazon operates outside the US too.
I'm commenting the part " free shipping in the US ".

"This item does not ship to Country X. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally." <- This is the typical line in too many webshops.

For original question.. YES.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2016, 12:09 AM
Post: #15
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
(05-15-2016 05:36 PM)Vtile Wrote:  
(05-15-2016 05:35 PM)Marcio Wrote:  and I am guessing not many of them know that Amazon operates outside the US too.
I'm commenting the part " free shipping in the US ".

"This item does not ship to Country X. Please check other sellers who may ship internationally." <- This is the typical line in too many webshops.

For original question.. YES.

I've dealt with sellers who won't ship to the USA. What I did was to find a remailer in the UK and have packages sent there. The remailer then sends me the package in the USA. The remailer's fee us usually a lot cheaper than a direct mailing from the package's country of origin, even if the seller would send it.

Tom L

Tom L

I never knew my mother was such an animal lover. When the doctor told her the rabbit died, she went into shock!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2016, 09:21 PM
Post: #16
RE: Should I get a 50G now?
I bought a 50g at $47 USD in target, but had to ship it to someone inside US because target does not send internationally. But, shipping it from there is about $17.5 USD more so it is a really good deal.

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
Post Reply 




User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)