Topcat Card Reader Ribbon Cable
12-07-2023, 08:15 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2023 12:08 PM by teenix.)
Topcat Card Reader Ribbon Cable
Hi all,

I can get these manufactured in small quantities for $US2.50 each.

If there is any interest I will go ahead and order some.

Postage should be just a couple of dollars as they can fit in a standard envelope.

cheers

Tony
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-07-2023, 11:56 AM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2023 12:12 PM by Duane Hess.)
RE: Topcat Printer Ribbon Cable
Are you referring to the flat flexible cable that goes to the print head?

Haven't looked inside a 9x in a long time; only printer cable I remember. Isn't the FFC permanently attached to the print head? If we're referring to the same cable, apparently not permanently attached.

Irrespective of the above, can your source fabricate the FFC suitable for the HP Thinkjet? Including the ink cartridge end of the cable with the "bumps"?

There are scads of thermal inkjet printers ("bubble-jets") which use the same ink cartridge as the Thinkjet. I have several calculators (not HP) which use the same cartridge; hence the cartridge mating end of the cable match the Thinkjet. However, the PCB end may be shaped/spaced different. And the "routing" shape on the cartridge end may be different. i.e. straight-in to the cartridge connection area or "L" shaped, etc.

If your source can make a Thinkjet cable, I'd think there would be a significant customer base for a small number of cables for other products also. But they all would have the same print-head end where the ink cartridge seats.

Attached is a picture of the cable end I'm referring to from a Thinkjet manual.

** EDIT **:
The reason I ask: a lot of us know the bubblejet type printers often have ink leakage on the FFC cartridge mating surface. So the connection gets damaged as the ink "eats off" the conductive surface on the FFC. Hence, missing dots when you print (or none at all).

Often wondered if a thin layer of a dielectric grease might help protect the cartridge/FFC mating surface.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-07-2023, 12:11 PM (This post was last modified: 12-07-2023 12:12 PM by teenix.)
RE: Topcat Card Reader Ribbon Cable
(12-07-2023 11:56 AM)Duane Hess Wrote:  Are you referring to the flat flexible cable that goes to the print head?

Sorry, long day, my error. I had printers on my mind and meant the card reader ribbon connector.

I changed the subject.

cheers

Tony
12-07-2023, 12:51 PM
This strikes me as one of those "you'll never get this chance again" kind of offers. On the off chance I'll ever be dumb enough to refurbish another topcat, count me in for two cables.

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
12-07-2023, 02:42 PM
Wow, I didn't know these had become scarce. I used to order them from Mouser and Digikey in the early 2000's.

Tony, put me down for 8 of them. Thanks.

-J
12-07-2023, 03:15 PM
Hi Tony - could I order four please? Thank you! Andrew
12-07-2023, 03:39 PM
Hi Tony,
i never had a failure with this cable but i will take 4 of them.
Ralf

/41/48/
12-07-2023, 07:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-08-2023 12:18 AM by Sylvain Cote.)
Hello Tony,
I will take four (4) please.
Thank you!
Sylvain

Sylvain Côté
12-07-2023, 10:25 PM
Hi Tony,

Very nice, thank you. I would like to order 4.

Kind regards,

Kees.
12-08-2023, 02:14 AM
In for four! Thanks!

Bob
12-09-2023, 01:48 AM
Hi all,

I placed the order for the ribbon cables.

They FedEx'd the package to me and added taxes, cost will be $US2.75 each

Postage should be ok from here in an envelope so should be cheap.

cheers

Tony
12-09-2023, 12:36 PM
(12-09-2023 01:48 AM)teenix Wrote:  Postage should be ok from here in an envelope so should be cheap.

Be sure and check postage first before collecting payment, particularly overseas mail. The US postal service has really been picky of late about what can go in an ordinary envelope, requiring the more expensive tyvec sort.

PM sent.

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
12-22-2023, 01:24 AM
Hi all,

I received the new Topcat printer ribbon cables from the manufacturer today. They ended up being $US2.60 each. I don't intend making a profit, hopefully just to recoup the cost.

Image shows a damaged one and the new.

Now the problem is getting them around. I was thinking of putting them in a Xmas card and send that way to save on the ridiculous postage for such an item. I can send money in a card, so I don't see what the difference is.

If that fails, I may be stuck with them, or I can send a bulk package to US where someone, if they had the time, could redistribute locally. Either way, I'll have some left, so I'll add one to any 97 CPU boards I make.

cheers

Tony

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

12-22-2023, 04:59 AM
Hi Tony,

I missed the initial request for these but if there's any left or you can't send them all I will take a couple.

I'll pickup sometime :-)

Thanks, Darren

(12-22-2023 01:24 AM)teenix Wrote:  Hi all,

I received the new Topcat printer ribbon cables from the manufacturer today. They ended up being $US2.60 each. I don't intend making a profit, hopefully just to recoup the cost.

Now the problem is getting them around. I was thinking of putting them in a Xmas card and send that way to save on the ridiculous postage for such an item. I can send money in a card, so I don't see what the difference is.

If that fails, I may be stuck with them, or I can send a bulk package to US where someone, if they had the time, could redistribute locally. Either way, I'll have some left, so I'll add one to any 97 CPU boards I make.

cheers

Tony

Calculator Clique on YouTube
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-22-2023, 11:06 AM
Hi Tony
I missed also the initial request and would take two.
Tanks, Hans-Peter

(12-22-2023 04:59 AM)dmh Wrote:  Hi Tony,

I missed the initial request for these but if there's any left or you can't send them all I will take a couple.

I'll pickup sometime :-)

Thanks, Darren

(12-22-2023 01:24 AM)teenix Wrote:  Hi all,

cheers

Tony
12-22-2023, 12:17 PM
Hi Tony,

I missed the initial request but put me down for 6,

Thanks,

-Tom
12-24-2023, 08:33 PM
(12-22-2023 01:24 AM)teenix Wrote:  I received the new Topcat printer ribbon cables from the manufacturer today. They ended up being $US2.60 each. I don't intend making a profit, hopefully just to recoup the cost.

Looks good!
Just let me know the price including postage and where to send it - like a PayPal address.

Thanks,

-J

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)