NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
11-03-2023, 09:30 PM
RE: NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
Hello!

(11-03-2023 05:53 PM)Valentin Albillo Wrote:  ...which would allow e.g. programming the six trig functions, exp, log, y^x, all of them executing almost instantly and with plenty of program memory to spare.

But then you would need an HP-15C keyboard overlay for your HP-16C "Collectors Edition" so that the keys will be properly labeled for you trig functions :-) Or, to take complexity one step up, start your 15C "CE" in 16C-mode, program your instant trig functions and cut holes in the keyboard overlay so that the original 15C trig labels become visible again! Or, better still, boot-up your 15C in 16C mode and program all 15C functions so that you can get rid of the overlay altogether...

Good night!
Max
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2023, 05:08 AM
(11-03-2023 09:30 PM)Maximilian Hohmann Wrote:  But then you would need an HP-15C keyboard overlay for your HP-16C "Collectors Edition" so that the keys will be properly labeled for you trig functions :-) Or, to take complexity one step up, start your 15C "CE" in 16C-mode, program your instant trig functions and cut holes in the keyboard overlay so that the original 15C trig labels become visible again! Or, better still, boot-up your 15C in 16C mode and program all 15C functions so that you can get rid of the overlay altogether...
LOL, thanks!
11-04-2023, 04:35 PM
(11-03-2023 04:08 PM)Divasson Wrote:  
(11-03-2023 02:47 PM)ebs Wrote:  According to The Calculator Store blog, the patch is just a change of a couple of bytes in the HP16C rom (but doesn't say which bytes), so it's possible to do it with a hex editor. No need to redistribute the entire firmware that would require HP/Moravia approval.
Actually 3 bytes. I'd leave the author to comment/explain - his baby, not mine.

I believe there is no more any reason to keep it confidential.

The 16c ROM patches are:
06ef:000 (was:346)
06f0:000 (was:1cb)
0718:3ac (was:17a)
(addresses are the 10-bit word addresses expressed in the 16c ROM space)

Actually, it's more a workaround than a fix, because it doesn't correct the emulator weakness but just works around it taking advantage of the 16C hex>dec code structure and using the existing emulator's possibilities (basically replacing the offending opcode with a replacement opcode that is known to work for this particular case).
Also, since only the 16c ROM is patched and not the emulation engine itself, the 15c modes are not affected in any way.

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-04-2023, 05:04 PM
Does anyone know about a utility (be it Mac or Windows) that can send a text to a USB HID device and receive (and store as a file) data from said USB device?
11-05-2023, 02:45 AM
When you say USB HID device, do you mean something that enumerates as a COM port under Windows? How does it appear in Device Manager?

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
11-05-2023, 02:48 AM
15CE #2705 and #2744 arrived in Chicago this afternoon. Purchasing/shipping/packing from Eric was terrific. Thanks Eric!

As others have reported, I have some faint abrasion along the ridge of the bezel. It's a bit mystifying that a protective film was applied to the exterior of the packaging's display window but not to the calculator bezel itself. One unit is a hair short of perfect while the other has a bit more abrasion, but even the latter isn't enough to trouble me. Could probably be corrected/minimized with precise polishing if I cared enough to do so. That's my only nitpick and the only noticeable difference between the two units.

The key action seems excellent on both units. I haven't used any recent manufacture Voyagers like the 12C or 15LE. The 15CE keys have more travel and are a touch clickier than my vintage (nearly unused) 10C, which is also clicky but much tighter. I prefer the 15CE key feel slightly over my SM DM11L. I think my Platonic ideal of a keypad would be an amalgam of all three, but they're all fine on their own too. No detectable problems with registration or key bounce after a fair bit of testing. Screen legibility is great, which is where I find the SM units somewhat lacking. Someone (here or on reddit?) was concerned about contrast/color compared to the original Voyager screens. But side by side with my 10C under typical light there's only the slightest difference in tint, nothing approaching a functional difference IMO.

I'm looking forward to giving the 15CE some good workouts, replacing the DM11L I keep at school for typical quick number crunching. Not sure what I'll do with the second unit yet. I might get the overlay and make it into a dedicated 16C, or might gift it to my son if he decides to pursue STEM stuff, or else just keep it as a backup or resell at some point.

Very well executed product in any event, IMO.
11-05-2023, 10:31 AM
Thanks again Eric for the detailed information.

Do the reset and erase buttons just connect to ground when pressed?

I want to try and make a cable from scratch so can't rely on existing buttons on an original cable.

Thanks!

(11-02-2023 06:05 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(11-02-2023 05:00 AM)dmh Wrote:  Thanks for the detailed information and photos Eric !

A previous post mentioned a button was still used, which line has the button connected?

It appears the wiring is direct and not going through the chip at all now, is that correct?

So if you can roll your own pogo type connector could you could make a new cable the same way?

So, where do I get the firmware (original and patched) and what software is now required?

Thanks again.

The Reset button and Erase button are both still connected. You don't need Reset because you can just use the reset hole on the calculator instead, but the button is more convenient. It's connected in the same place as the old cable, which I believe is pin 2, which would be to the left of the black (ground) wire, lower left corner, in the last image above. I believe Erase is pin 6, which would be to the right of the black ground wire, lower right corner. It's also unchanged from the old cable.

Calculator Clique on YouTube
11-05-2023, 11:08 AM
(11-05-2023 02:45 AM)mfleming Wrote:  When you say USB HID device, do you mean something that enumerates as a COM port under Windows? How does it appear in Device Manager?

In this mode it does not appear as serial, but USB only. I have not administrator authority to run device manager in the PC I have. In my Mac:

11-05-2023, 07:43 PM
(11-04-2023 04:35 PM)J-F Garnier Wrote:  I believe there is no more any reason to keep it confidential.

The 16c ROM patches are:
06ef:000 (was:346)
06f0:000 (was:1cb)
0718:3ac (was:17a)
(addresses are the 10-bit word addresses expressed in the 16c ROM space)

Thanks, I would like to patch it even if I don't have the pogo cable Big Grin
11-06-2023, 02:53 AM (This post was last modified: 11-06-2023 03:03 AM by mfleming.)
(11-05-2023 11:08 AM)Divasson Wrote:  
(11-05-2023 02:45 AM)mfleming Wrote:  When you say USB HID device, do you mean something that enumerates as a COM port under Windows? How does it appear in Device Manager?

In this mode it does not appear as serial, but USB only. I have not administrator authority to run device manager in the PC I have. In my Mac:

I know absolutely nothing about the Mac (thankfully!) but under Linux a USB device might show up as /dev/tty*** (or similar) or as /dev/usb*. Serial devices can communicate using something like TeraTerm (or similar for Mac) but others use a custom client. You would need the vendor and product ID (VID/PID) from windows device manager and something like dfu_util.exe to load a new image, assuming this is a USB configuration interface (/dev/?). Tim Wessman or another team member should be able to provide more details.

I've seen libraries for building HID clients so surely there is a generic comm app out there somewhere...

NB: 0x1341/0x03f0 sure looks familiar. See if you can get dfu_util from https://dfu-util.sourceforge.net and use the -l flag to scan for devices.

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
11-07-2023, 05:58 AM
Just as a followup, I have verified that SAM-BA 2.16 does work with the calculator. You just have to choose the board model "sam4l-ek[not factory programmed]" to make it work; otherwise, everything else is the same as version 2.14:

[Image: aIV2s2l.png]
11-07-2023, 08:08 PM
(11-02-2023 10:52 PM)dmh Wrote:  So the software looks like it can download the current image, is that correct?

That is what I am wondering as well. I can't really believe the program memory is not read protected.
But the instructions seem to assume a complete firmware image that has been manually patched and can then be downloaded to the calculator. Initially I thought one would have to just write the patched instructions to the correct rom positions.

Cheers,
Harald
11-08-2023, 08:24 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2023 08:24 AM by Divasson.)
Hi - just tested it. I confirm it can read from the calculator (set to size 0x1C000 from position 0x4000) and write it back again successfully.

Samba protects if you ever want to write to 0x0000 - you need to start at 0x4000 for it to work
11-08-2023, 09:09 AM
(11-08-2023 08:24 AM)Divasson Wrote:  Hi - just tested it. I confirm it can read from the calculator (set to size 0x1C000 from position 0x4000) and write it back again successfully.

Samba protects if you ever want to write to 0x0000 - you need to start at 0x4000 for it to work

Thanks for the confirmation, Jose!
I am contemplating modifying my WP34 cable.
Is the cable in your shop a modified cable, or was it intended for the CE?
I might wait until December and get a second cable...
11-08-2023, 11:31 AM (This post was last modified: 11-08-2023 02:35 PM by Divasson.)
A full new design just for USB to HP's proprietary 6-pin POGO - had to draw the calculator side in 3D from scratch. Huge mould costs since standard industry pin pitch is 2.54mm and nothing off-the-shelf could be used. Now dealing with CE-testing and certification.

11-08-2023, 11:43 AM
(11-08-2023 11:31 AM)Divasson Wrote:  A full new design just for USB to JTAG - had to draw the calculator side in 3D from scratch. Huge mould costs since standard industry pin pitch is 2.54mm and nothing off-the-shelf could be used.

Already booked mine. Wink

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
11-08-2023, 02:07 PM
(11-08-2023 11:31 AM)Divasson Wrote:  A full new design just for USB to JTAG - had to draw the calculator side in 3D from scratch. Huge mould costs since standard industry pin pitch is 2.54mm and nothing off-the-shelf could be used. Now dealing with CE-testing and certification.

This will be fantastic! Glad you are investing in this project.

FYI, that is not JTAG. That is a separate interface.
11-08-2023, 06:55 PM
Hi this is Christopher, I'm new to the forum and I'm really excited about everything that's going on here.
In the 1990s I bought an used HP 48GX during my engineering studies, which is still with me today (in addition to many emulators for PC and Android)
A few weeks ago I also bought the Collector's Edition of the HP 15c, I was already enthusiastic about HP's Voyager series as a student, even though the devices were unaffordable for me in terms of price.
I'm a software engineer in the embedded sector myself and I'm thrilled with the energy with which such problems are tackled here in the forum.
I ordered the 16c overlay as soon as I read about it here and today I also ordered the Pogo cable.
This will give me something to do when I have my annual vacation between the years.
I particularly like the fact that you can read out the firmware, adapt or patch it accordingly and then write it back to the device.
Thanks to all those who share their knowledge and experience so actively here.
11-08-2023, 10:47 PM
I was looking at the following which appears to be the correct spec:

https://au.element14.com/mill-max/838-22...mm%20pitch

Is this not suitable?

(11-08-2023 11:31 AM)Divasson Wrote:  A full new design just for USB to HP's proprietary 6-pin POGO - had to draw the calculator side in 3D from scratch. Huge mould costs since standard industry pin pitch is 2.54mm and nothing off-the-shelf could be used. Now dealing with CE-testing and certification.

Calculator Clique on YouTube
11-08-2023, 11:25 PM
It may have been the right choice - though the original has pins of 0.4mm instead of 0.8mm diameter and more flush with surface than shown. In any case it is too late...Thanks anyway!

User(s) browsing this thread: 4 Guest(s)