NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
08-11-2023, 11:07 AM
RE: NEW: HP 15C Collectors Edition
Have any bugs been discovered in the 15.2CE mode?
The following is mentioned about HP 15C CE in Wikipedia: «There are a number of bugs and shortcomings in the undocumented "15.2C" and "16C" modes.»
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
08-11-2023, 11:48 AM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2023 11:51 AM by J-F Garnier.)
(08-11-2023 11:07 AM)Voldemar Wrote:  Have any bugs been discovered in the 15.2CE mode?
The following is mentioned about HP 15C CE in Wikipedia: «There are a number of bugs and shortcomings in the undocumented "15.2C" and "16C" modes.»

For the 15c CE/192 mode limitations, see here:
thread-19886-post-175544

J-F
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-11-2023, 11:56 AM
(08-11-2023 11:07 AM)Voldemar Wrote:  Have any bugs been discovered in the 15.2CE mode?

Not bugs as far as we know. Maybe you can count as shortcomings the reasons that caused 15.2 not to be the main release:

- Inverting/determinant/system solving for matrix beyond 8x8
- Display of MEM for more than 100 non-allocated registers (where allocated and not allocated are not separated)
- Display of step 1000 on very long programs
- Addressability of steps over 1000 on very long programs

But these are not bugs but shortcomings IMHO. I have been using 15.2 for 6 months without any issue at all - and I think most of the members of the test team feel the same.

The Wikipedia entry should be clarified.
08-11-2023, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the answers.
Respect limitations - no bugs. Smile
08-11-2023, 12:16 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2023 12:20 PM by J-F Garnier.)
(08-11-2023 11:56 AM)Divasson Wrote:  - Display of MEM for more than 100 non-allocated registers (where allocated and not allocated are not separated)

I don't see it as a limitation since it doesn't limit anything.
It is, at most, a minor annoyance, that users can quickly be used to.
Furthermore, there is a small separation between the 2-digit field and the 3-digit field, since the leading digit of the later is always a '1':

[Image: attachment.php?aid=12399]

J-F

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-11-2023, 12:17 PM
My unit, auspiciously numbered 00911, was delivered in Canada from TheCalculatorStore this morning.

To the extent that the keyboard self-test is indicative of anything, I don't immediately see any obvious keyboard problems, but of course I'll take the opportunity over time to give it a more exhaustive work-out.
08-11-2023, 02:47 PM
Mine was finally delivered today. It should have arrived yesterday, but UPS were their usual useless mess.

S/N 666 >:-)

Quick test shows all keys working perfectly - no skipping or repeating. If there is anything strange about the f and g keys, then I am not experienced enough to notice.

The key details are stunningly clear. Much better than the deep red used on my 12c which I can barely see properly without an overhead lamp.

I love the box. Such a lovely item in itself. Very befitting this special device.

Looking forward to trying out the secret modes and putting it through its paces.

Overall, very happy! Many thanks to José Divassón and The Calculator Store!
08-11-2023, 03:03 PM
(08-11-2023 02:47 PM)MarkB Wrote:  S/N 666 >:-)

Please let us know if your calculator starts showing up in strange places while you're not looking... or displays any other creepily nonstandard behavior...

Daily drivers: 15c, 32sII, 35s, 41cx, 48g, WP 34s/31s. Favorite: 16c.
Latest: 15ce, 48s, 50g. Gateway drug: 28s found in yard sale ~2009.
08-11-2023, 11:53 PM

Not bugs as far as we know. Maybe you can count as shortcomings the reasons that caused 15.2 not to be the main release:

- Inverting/determinant/system solving for matrix beyond 8x8
- Display of MEM for more than 100 non-allocated registers (where allocated and not allocated are not separated)
- Display of step 1000 on very long programs
- Addressability of steps over 1000 on very long programs

But these are not bugs but shortcomings IMHO. I have been using 15.2 for 6 months without any issue at all - and I think most of the members of the test team feel the same.

The Wikipedia entry should be clarified.
08-12-2023, 04:31 AM
(08-08-2023 06:03 AM)Fred Lusk Wrote:  I received an email this morning that said that The Calculator Store shipped my HP15C/CE today. I'm guessing Spain to California will result in an attempt to deliver the package to my office on Saturday, when it is closed. That's Murphy's Law at work. I hope to see it next Monday

Well, I was too pessimistic. :-) My HP-15C/CE arrived at my office about 3:30 this afternoon, so only 4 days from Barcelona to Fresno. Thanks Jose for the great service and thanks DHL for quick delivery. BTW, for those of you keeping score at home, my SN is 01437.

This machine is very well made and it was very nicely packaged. I really like the yellow printing on the face plate. It's so much easier to read than the dark orange printing on my HP-12C Platinum, which I bought several years ago because I "needed" a new toy. Someone should be flogged for selecting dark orange to print on a black background. Seriously flogged (but I'm not serious). :-)

The HP-15C/CE will not replace my SwissMicros DM42 and HP-48-G+ at work or my SwissMicros DM41X and HP-50g at home. However, it will get used quite a bit because I have a bunch of HP-34C programs from the end of my college days and start of my engineering career to try out. But, before I get to the useful stuff, I first entered the Foxes & Rabbits program, which I first saw in an article titled "An Example of HP-25 Programming". It's a whole lot faster than what I remember for my HP-34C.
08-12-2023, 05:31 AM
(08-12-2023 04:31 AM)Fred Lusk Wrote:  ...
This machine is very well made and it was very nicely packaged. I really like the yellow printing on the face plate. It's so much easier to read than the dark orange printing on my HP-12C Platinum, which I bought several years ago because I "needed" a new toy. Someone should be flogged for selecting dark orange to print on a black background. Seriously flogged (but I'm not serious). :-)

I feel the same way about the people who chose the HP Prime key and bezel colors.
08-12-2023, 10:18 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2023 10:20 AM by smatthys.)
My first HP15C CE (ordered as second...) arrived on August 10 :-)
Thank you José González Divassón!

Serial # is 01046, must be a fast calculator as it contains Valentino Rossi's race number... ;-)

Quality seems to be good & I like the keys better than the ones of the LE.
Speed-wise CE & LE are quite similar with a slight plus on the CE side (checked with my prime number program).

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

08-12-2023, 06:03 PM
(08-11-2023 03:03 PM)johnb Wrote:  
(08-11-2023 02:47 PM)MarkB Wrote:  S/N 666 >:-)

Please let us know if your calculator starts showing up in strange places while you're not looking... or displays any other creepily nonstandard behavior...

Just another harmless number, apparently with no consequences either to math or the calculator. I tried the following in my older 15C, just in case…

240 ¹/ 9 + x² 666 √x ÷ 666 ENTER 9 xx ¹/ -
08-13-2023, 05:40 PM
I'm somewhat concerned by reports that the bezel is unprotected and can suffer scratches from one of the sleeves. Any model hobbyists out there who can suggest a lacquer that can be applied by hand for protection?

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
08-14-2023, 04:47 AM
It looks glossy. If it's aluminum, I think it has a coating already. Can't imagine a way to not ruin the look of it by applying paint by hand.
08-14-2023, 02:08 PM
Hey everybody -- FOMO is kicking in, not that I need ay more 15C calculators.

Where is the best place for a person in US to buy the new 15C CE. I've got a 15-LE out of box extremely lightly used, and a 15C-LE NIB losing potential value on That Auction Site minute by minute now. And an OG 15C unit or two kicking around somewhere. And a personal preference for "portrait" orientation calculators instead of "landscape" calculators with plenty of favorites to use on hand. So really don't need a 15C CE, but FOMO takes over sometimes (which explains why this HP35s is knocking around) and can be a formidable force.

I'll be in Spain in a couple of weeks with solid hotel dates arranged. Is shipping/delivery/pricing better there than US? Packaging would have to be discarded as I won't have room to bring that kind of stuff home with me.

If anybody will be at HHUC 2023 in Orlando and wants to work out a sale or trade for item(s) like this, let me know.

Otherwise, please remind me of good places for the USA people to purchase a 15C-CE if they want one.

All the best,
Dan M.
08-14-2023, 02:09 PM
(08-13-2023 05:40 PM)mfleming Wrote:  I'm somewhat concerned by reports that the bezel is unprotected and can suffer scratches from one of the sleeves. Any model hobbyists out there who can suggest a lacquer that can be applied by hand for protection?

I don't know about the others but I received mine like that. I think it was meant to get a plastic film protection but there wasn't any, so perhaps it was scratched before being packaged. It's not too much visible, thankfully.

I'm not sure how the sleeve could scratch it, but I would advise using an original one if you can: I found their sleeve too limp for practical use. Some vendors offer an option for another sleeve, which could be worth considering (I have no idea about the quality).
08-14-2023, 02:30 PM
(08-14-2023 02:09 PM)redglyph Wrote:  I don't know about the others but I received mine like that. I think it was meant to get a plastic film protection but there wasn't any, so perhaps it was scratched before being packaged. It's not too much visible, thankfully.

No need to worry about the sleeve then. Going way back to high school chemistry, I guess it can't be bare aluminum without it eventually oxidizing. So, either a clear protective coat, or the bezel is "painted" like the border around the keys. Can't think of a nondestructive way to find out.

Not that curious Smile

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
08-15-2023, 04:50 AM
I'm still waiting for mine to arrive in Australia. Sad

Just so you know, any aluminium you have ever seen is covered by a layer of aluminium oxide. Aluminium is too reactive to be bare metal in an atmosphere that contains even trace amounts of oxygen [source: 32 years of research into the fatigue and corrosion of aluminium alloys].

(08-14-2023 02:09 PM)redglyph Wrote:  I don't know about the others but I received mine like that. I think it was meant to get a plastic film protection but there wasn't any, so perhaps it was scratched before being packaged. It's not too much visible, thankfully.
08-15-2023, 08:52 AM
(08-14-2023 02:30 PM)mfleming Wrote:  So, either a clear protective coat, or the bezel is "painted" like the border around the keys. Can't think of a nondestructive way to find out.
Here's one: Touch it. It feels much colder than plastic since aluminum has a higher thermal conductivity. It's likely an aluminum alloy, not plastic.

Not sure tho if it's anodized or painted, I presume it's the latter.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)