Print from Equation Writer on 50g
05-16-2014, 09:53 AM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 10:08 AM by HP67.)
Print from Equation Writer on 50g
Is there a way to print from the Equation Writer on a 50g? Or capture the screen with any built-in function?

I would like to get screen shots of the Equation Writer doing its thing.

It ain't OVER 'till it's 2 PICK
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2014, 10:45 AM
RE: Print from Equation Writer on 50g
(05-16-2014 09:53 AM)HP67 Wrote:  Is there a way to print from the Equation Writer on a 50g? Or capture the screen with any built-in function?

I would like to get screen shots of the Equation Writer doing its thing.

My first ideia for that situation would be pick up a Photo Camera a make a shoot of it. Smile
05-16-2014, 10:46 AM
Yeah, that was the first idea when I couldn't find a built-in. But I hope somebody can point me in the right direction. The 50g is a real kitchen-sink. If there is anything it can't do, it's very unusual.

05-16-2014, 01:34 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 01:36 PM by jebem.)
(05-16-2014 10:46 AM)HP67 Wrote:  The 50g is a real kitchen-sink. If there is anything it can't do, it's very unusual.

Hi, HP67 (maybe one day You will consider your name to be known here...?)

I can't test my HP-50G right now, but looking into the archives, apparently it is possible, at least to save the Screen Captures to SD card.

Some links where Screen Capture expressions can be found :
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=125259
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=218686
http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/...ead=109893

And the HPCALC connectivity kit tool apparently also includes a Screen Capture feature, according to the trusty word of Joseph K. Horn:
http://www.hpcalc.org/details.php?id=5890

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-16-2014, 01:46 PM
Hello Jebem,

Thanks very much. Unfortunately the screen capture seems to be a feature of the HP connectivity software or the apparently excellent Conn4X application which I don't have and can't use since I am not using Windows.

There are ways to capture the LCD to a grob, and there are ways to print the screen (I think). The problem is that all this is disabled when inside the Equation Writer!

05-16-2014, 02:23 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 02:27 PM by jebem.)
(05-16-2014 01:46 PM)HP67 Wrote:  Unfortunately the screen capture seems to be a feature of the HP connectivity software or the apparently excellent Conn4X application which I don't have and can't use since I am not using Windows.

Yap, that's a problem. One possible choice is to run Windows inside a VM.
There are hosted hypervisors for almost any kind of hosting Operating Systems these days.

For instance, VMware Workstation for Windows and Linux allows to redirect the USB physical port to the VM virtual hardware usb controller. For hosting Mac OS, VMware Fusion could be tried.

I have tested just now to run a VM with Windows2003 Guest OS, on VMware Workstation 10 running on a hosting Windows 7 x64. I could redirect a Kingston dt101 16GB usb pen drive and a Samsung st60 digital camera without issues.
I'm quite sure it can handle to run on hosting Linux OS, like Ubuntu, CentOS, Suse, or Red Hat, to name but a few.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

05-16-2014, 02:32 PM
(05-16-2014 01:46 PM)HP67 Wrote:  Hello Jebem,

Thanks very much. Unfortunately the screen capture seems to be a feature of the HP connectivity software or the apparently excellent Conn4X application which I don't have and can't use since I am not using Windows.

There's also x49gp, which runs on several other operating systems.

(05-16-2014 01:46 PM)HP67 Wrote:  There are ways to capture the LCD to a grob, and there are ways to print the screen (I think). The problem is that all this is disabled when inside the Equation Writer!

You can access LCD-> from the CAT menu while the equation editor is open.
05-18-2014, 10:13 AM
(05-16-2014 02:32 PM)dizzy Wrote:  You can access LCD-> from the CAT menu while the equation editor is open.

That sounded like a great idea but it isn't working for me.

After selecting LCD-> from the catalog inside the EQW I get an error message:

Error:
Result not
editable in
EQW

05-18-2014, 02:59 PM
(05-18-2014 10:13 AM)HP67 Wrote:  
(05-16-2014 02:32 PM)dizzy Wrote:  You can access LCD-> from the CAT menu while the equation editor is open.

That sounded like a great idea but it isn't working for me.

After selecting LCD-> from the catalog inside the EQW I get an error message:

Error:
Result not
editable in
EQW

Take a look on the stack. :-)
05-18-2014, 03:36 PM
Yes, of course I did. There is nothing there but one item that contains the equation I was looking at in EQW.

I suspect we have some setting difference because your smiley post seems to indicate it works for you...what can I check? It is definitely not working with the settings I have now. Thanks.

05-18-2014, 03:54 PM
(05-18-2014 03:36 PM)HP67 Wrote:  Yes, of course I did. There is nothing there but one item that contains the equation I was looking at in EQW.

I suspect we have some setting difference because your smiley post seems to indicate it works for you...what can I check? It is definitely not working with the settings I have now. Thanks.

Hmm. On closer inspection, I get two different results:

If I'm editing the equation (i.e., the <= arrow is still visible) then I get a GROB on the stack after using LCD->. This is what I saw before.

However, if the block cursor is visible, the result on the stack is a list of two items: the equation itself, and a the GROB screenshot. In this case, the GROB isn't rendered while it's in the list (instead, you're just shown "Graphic 130 x 180"). EVALing the list solves this.

Does this help?
05-18-2014, 04:00 PM (This post was last modified: 05-18-2014 04:01 PM by HP67.)
Maybe it's more clear, but I want a whole screenshot of the Equation Writer with all the right symbols, not just a line or two containing the algebraic with the symbols you get as if you're typing it in. Because I wanted to show the progression of evaluating an equation with the CAS.

I am not able to get a GROB of the EQW screen. But I also don't know how to get rid of the block cursor. It is always on part of the equation, at least one term etc.

05-18-2014, 04:14 PM
(05-18-2014 04:00 PM)HP67 Wrote:  Maybe it's more clear, but I want a whole screenshot of the Equation Writer with all the right symbols, not just a line or two containing the algebraic with the symbols you get as if you're typing it in. Because I wanted to show the progression of evaluating an equation with the CAS.

I am not able to get a GROB of the EQW screen. But I also don't know how to get rid of the block cursor. It is always on part of the equation, at least one term etc.

I understand what you mean. It works for me in either of the arrangements I mentioned above. I'm not sure why it isn't working for you.

However, you can get the arrow cursor by inserting a SIN( ) and not filling in the argument. You should see the flashing arrow.
05-18-2014, 04:30 PM
I got the arrow cursor by highlighting the equation and pressing the multiply key. But LCD-> still gives me the same error message.

So I tried a hard reset and your method works as in I get a copy of the equation I was editing, but it is not a screenshot as it doesn't show the EQW choose boxes. So it was definitely some setting difference. Anyway, this isn't what I was looking for but thank you for spending time helping me on this.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)