Unit Calc / Conversion only in HP?
05-16-2014, 01:14 PM
RE: Unit Calc / Conversion only in HP?
Is there anybody that is so kind helping seriously find a calculator that full fills folowing conditions:

Units conversion/cslculations
BASIC support - not something similar to BASIC
At least 200 kB free space for storage
Aloow names in vsriables
Thank you
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-16-2014, 03:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 03:25 PM by Dalil.)
(05-16-2014 01:14 PM)Alvaro Wrote:  Is there anybody that is so kind helping seriously find a calculator that full fills folowing conditions:

Units conversion/cslculations
BASIC support - not something similar to BASIC
At least 200 kB free space for storage
Aloow names in vsriables
Thank you

Hello Alvaro,

to the best of my knowledge, there is no handheld calculator that can do all of these natively, i.e. without additional program/apps. Someone may correct me on that as I don't have knowledge of all calculators and pocket computer ever released.

As I have mentioned in my earlier message, the closest you could get from what you are looking for would be the HP-Prime or the TI-89 Titanium, which sport all the features you request except their programming language which are only similar to the BASIC you are looking and not exactly it.

Another option would be to have few different applications on you mobile phone, if your mobile phone support it, with one to do BBC BASIC style programming, one for unit conversions/manipulations and/or an emulator of a calculator of your choice.

If it is critical for you to have an exact implementation of the BBC BASIC on a handheld calculator and you can compromise on the rest, i.e. less memory, no unit conversions/manipulations support, you could try to purchase one of the oldest pocket computer such as the Sharp PC-1401 which support the BASIC you need but has only between 1K and 2K of memory available and cannot do unit conversions.

This is to the best of my knowledge all the help I can provide in helping you find the calculator you need, and I am sure if anything else is available out there that I am not aware of someone on this forum would correct me and guide you towards a better solution.
05-16-2014, 03:51 PM
Hi Dalil,
Thank you very much for your answer and effort on helping me.
I know that it is difficult to find such a caculator but I had the hope.
I will look to the titanium, may be there is a chance to put bbc basic there. I will spend some time with that.
The Prime has no GOTO so it looks like to be another sort of RPL in the background.
Any way I need a more or less compatile BASIC because I have several programs and it will very dificult to adapt them to anything else than BASIC.
There are several lines of my programs they very long and to do any work of adapting them has to be done in large display I mean a Desktop PC. That's why I need BASIC.
Well the Android option, it is not a real option because of the display character height , the virtual keys and all in one not confortable.
But that will be the only option that last to me.
Thank you, very kind from you.
05-16-2014, 03:52 PM
Hi Dalil,
I will look to the titanium, may be there is a chance to put bbc basic there. I will spend some time with that.
The Prime has no GOTO so it looks like to be another sort of RPL in the background.
Any way I need a more or less compatile BASIC because I have several programs and it will very dificult to adapt them to anything else than BASIC.
There are several lines of my programs they very long and to do any work of adapting them has to be done in large display I mean a Desktop PC. That's why I need BASIC.
Well the Android option, it is not a real option because of the display character height , the virtual keys and all in one not confortable.
05-16-2014, 04:57 PM (This post was last modified: 05-16-2014 05:01 PM by Dalil.)
(05-16-2014 03:52 PM)Alvaro Wrote:  Hi Dalil,

No problem, happy to have helped.

If you have any issue with the conversion, I might be able to help as I have a bit of experience with 'translating' program in all three languages that you are potentially going to use, namely UserRPL, BBC BASIC and TI-89 BASIC, so don't hesitate to contact me if you are really stuck to see what I can do.

Also, I would recommend you to try the calculator before purchase using one of the various emulators available (if I remember correctly TIEMU is one of them) to make sure you are happy with the machine.
05-17-2014, 10:16 AM
(05-16-2014 04:57 PM)Dalil Wrote:  No problem, happy to have helped.

If you have any issue with the conversion, I might be able to help as I have a bit of experience with 'translating' program in all three languages that you are potentially going to use, namely UserRPL, BBC BASIC and TI-89 BASIC, so don't hesitate to contact me if you are really stuck to see what I can do.

Also, I would recommend you to try the calculator before purchase using one of the various emulators available (if I remember correctly TIEMU is one of them) to make sure you are happy with the machine.

Hi Dalil,
Thank you very much for your offer, but there are several reasons why I will not translate it to other Program language.
That are critical programs , for stress analisys of cilindrical tubes and things like that, and I want to be sure there will be no translation errors.
So, I have to do it I myself.
Any way, thank you.

I have been looking at Titanium but there is no way of BASIC.

The only option is the TI-nspire (no CAS). It has plenty of Storage and also has 2 Keyboards available, one of them let it work as a TI-84 Plus and on that mode it is possible to put in BBC BASIC.
Now, I found a Units App (here:http://www.ticalc.org/pub/nspire/basic/science/units.zip).
Seems that someone also did not want to rely on Wikipedia , as many here do SmileSmile, for Units Conversion and also found to be important to have it on the nspire.

Do you have the possibility to see if that Units App also is available on the ti-84 mode of the nspire?
Also, can you have a look into the extend of that Units App regarding Converstion/Calculation ?
05-17-2014, 01:42 PM
(05-17-2014 10:16 AM)Alvaro Wrote:  
(05-16-2014 04:57 PM)Dalil Wrote:  No problem, happy to have helped.

Hi Dalil,
Thank you very much for your offer, but there are several reasons why I will not translate it to other Program language.
That are critical programs , for stress analisys of cilindrical tubes and things like that, and I want to be sure there will be no translation errors.
So, I have to do it I myself.
Any way, thank you.

I have been looking at Titanium but there is no way of BASIC.

The only option is the TI-nspire (no CAS). It has plenty of Storage and also has 2 Keyboards available, one of them let it work as a TI-84 Plus and on that mode it is possible to put in BBC BASIC.
Now, I found a Units App (here:http://www.ticalc.org/pub/nspire/basic/science/units.zip).
Seems that someone also did not want to rely on Wikipedia , as many here do SmileSmile, for Units Conversion and also found to be important to have it on the nspire.

Do you have the possibility to see if that Units App also is available on the ti-84 mode of the nspire?
Also, can you have a look into the extend of that Units App regarding Converstion/Calculation ?

Hi Alvaro,

I am happy to see you are finding your way in the calculator world ^^.

As far as I can see, the Units app for TI Nspire non-CAS is equivalent to any other conversion available on other scientific calculators, you can find more information if you follow this link: Google Group - Message from the author

It would be worth getting a CAS one, which can do the units conversion natively and use the TI-84 mode for BBC Basic. Unfortunately the unit conversion App on TI-84 is limited, and is offered by TI. Sci-Tools for TI-84

Memory-wise, there is enough space available to add and all this little applications and much more.
05-17-2014, 05:44 PM
(05-17-2014 01:42 PM)Dalil Wrote:  It would be worth getting a CAS one, which can do the units conversion natively and use the TI-84 mode for BBC Basic. Unfortunately the unit conversion App on TI-84 is limited, and is offered by TI.

Hi Dalil,
Thank you again for your help.
The only Model of the Nspire family that has the TI-84 function is the Touchpad (non CAS) one.
Anyway it has a much better display than the 50g.
Let´s see if I go for it!
Thank you
Regards
Alvaro

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)