Initiative to fully recreate Jacques Laporte's site
04-23-2018, 02:36 PM
RE: Initiative to fully recreate Jacques Laporte's site
(04-23-2018 12:28 PM)Harald Wrote:  Did you extract some of the missing picture from the pdf Tony put on his website?

Yes, that's exactly where those pictures came from. I also manually typed in the contents of the "Anode & Cathode drivers", "The 35 key HP-35 keyboard", and "HP-35 Display Schematic" pages, attempting to exactly recreate what was represented in that PDF, which were previously totally missing.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-23-2018, 09:41 PM
(04-23-2018 02:36 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  
(04-23-2018 12:28 PM)Harald Wrote:  Did you extract some of the missing picture from the pdf Tony put on his website?

Yes, that's exactly where those pictures came from. I also manually typed in the contents of the "Anode & Cathode drivers", "The 35 key HP-35 keyboard", and "HP-35 Display Schematic" pages, attempting to exactly recreate what was represented in that PDF, which were previously totally missing.

Thanks for doing this! I am glad I at least printed the pages when I did. Had I not done it, it would have been extremely difficult for me to write the display driver code for the classic replacement board.
Its good to see the website back online with pictures.

Cheers,
Harald
Find all posts by this user
04-23-2018, 11:21 PM (This post was last modified: 04-23-2018 11:24 PM by sasa.)
Thank you very much to all for respond and contribution.

I have manage also to find A&R page with full images and another missing page without in an old personal archive and sent to Eric. Unfortunately, that is all I have had actually saved back in 2014.

I hope someone else will find more missing files and finally Jacques' work may again exists fully in his glory as well with other contributors who participated to it.
05-03-2018, 11:05 PM
I have now incorporated Sasa's extra content, and also I made a handful of other minor fixes to the mirror of Jacques Laporte's site on my server. I don't believe there is any more content from the Internet Archive that I am still missing, and my attempts at contacting several of the people Jacques corresponded with have not resulted in anything new, so I consider this as complete as it's going to get unless anyone can send me anything more.

Nearly all the pages are restored, though there are some files deep in the HP-35 section that are lost. A bunch of images are still missing, as well as some code examples and at least one HTML file (sim35ARCTANBUG.htm), for example, particularly in the HP-35 Hardware and HP-35 Software sections.

https://archived.hpcalc.org/
05-04-2018, 07:15 AM
Beautiful! Thanks to everyone and many thanks to Eric! The real librarian among us!

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
07-16-2018, 07:25 AM (This post was last modified: 07-16-2018 07:27 AM by sasa.)
(05-03-2018 11:05 PM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  ... my attempts at contacting several of the people Jacques corresponded with have not resulted in anything new, so I consider this as complete as it's going to get unless anyone can send me anything more.

Eric,

As it is passed some reasonable long time for reply, is there any news regarding missing content?

I'm also afraid the current content may be the final.
08-26-2018, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 08-26-2018 12:17 PM by sasa.)
BTW, just for the record...

If any collector and owner of HP-35 ever desire to disassemble his device, preferable if buy some non-worked for parts, it may be possible to make a similar angle shot of black and white images (generously shared here by Tony), as there is several (perhaps) possible to replace with almost identical coloured ones (as image of resistors near display, boards and similar)

From this and sub pages:
https://archived.hpcalc.org/laporte/HP%2...isplay.htm

Thanks.
09-08-2018, 04:56 AM
Great news. Since the last update, I was able to get missing files from several other individuals, completely recovering all missing images and pages, outside the forum.

I fear that the gaps in the forum (which seems to be missing at least 100 files) are indeed lost forever, but there are now no longer any dead links on the main site.

https://archived.hpcalc.org/laporte/
09-20-2018, 11:27 AM
Great news indeed, Eric.

I would like to express my gratitude to all people helped on this initiative!
09-20-2018, 11:35 AM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 12:01 PM by pier4r.)
(09-20-2018 11:27 AM)sasa Wrote:  I would like to express my gratitude to all people helped on this initiative!

I second this.
And linked in the http://www.wiki4hp.com

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
09-20-2018, 12:24 PM
(09-08-2018 04:56 AM)Eric Rechlin Wrote:  Great news. Since the last update, I was able to get missing files from several other individuals, completely recovering all missing images and pages, outside the forum.

I fear that the gaps in the forum (which seems to be missing at least 100 files) are indeed lost forever, but there are now no longer any dead links on the main site.

https://archived.hpcalc.org/laporte/

Nice! So much great information on here!

I know it's an exact port-over, but I wonder if there should be an entry page inserted which explains who Jacques was, what he did, what follows, and explains that everything following is a static snapshot of how Jacques left it. That way, folks stumbling in aren't a bit confused about things "in progress", "new", or "up and coming". It would also serve as a nice memorial to recognize the contributions of that man who did a lot for the hobby/interest/cult/whatever we are.

I'm really glad you took on recovering this, Eric. Thanks!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)