Ugly soldering (HP 67 internal)
02-24-2024, 08:57 AM
RE: Ugly soldering (HP 67 internal)
I thought I ought to mention the conclusion to this thread, which I was surprised to see is from 2016. I didn't realise it was so long ago! Anyway...

After having the 67 in "bits" since 2016, I found The Calculator Store in late 2023 and through them Ignacio in Valencia. He put together my HP-67 (I had done the gummy wheel repair already) and so my original 1978 machine was back working in late 2023.

In passing, Ignacio recommended Tony's (teenix.org) boards. I bought one and it has given this 67 a new lease of life and interest for me. I had another non-working 67, which Ignacio fixed, although the card reader is not working properly (thr motor is OK). I have a teenix board in this now. The only real deficiency with this 67 is two cracked key springs. But I would need a donor calculator to even attempt this.

I also had a 65 that never worked, and Ignacio repaired this. It's CPU board was dead so you can probably guess that this is where another teenix board saved the day. The LED was fixed by Ignacio and is bright. I had to clean a couple of seemingly "dead" keys (reference Tony Nixon's Classic Notes) and this 65 is now fully working. It led me to discover some of the 65 quirks, and made me realise why some (many?) of the 67 features came about!

So all good now. I really would like a 29C. I sold a very nice one on eBay in 2012 when I had a big clear out of calculators that I simply wasn't using. IMHO the 29C is a beautiful machine and more so because it is compact. They are rather expensive for fully working ones, so perhaps when I have saved up my pennies...

Thanks for all your advice/comments. I am amazed at how quickly some replies appear in this forum!

Mark.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
Ugly soldering (HP 67 internal) - n1msr - 11-07-2016, 09:59 PM
RE: Ugly soldering (HP 67 internal) - TASP - 11-08-2016, 03:09 AM
RE: Ugly soldering (HP 67 internal) - n1msr - 02-24-2024 08:57 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)