New Version: 2018.07.06 2.0.0.13865
07-24-2018, 10:52 AM (This post was last modified: 07-24-2018 10:57 AM by ijabbott.)
RE: New Version: 2018.07.06 2.0.0.13865
(07-24-2018 07:51 AM)grsbanks Wrote:  
(07-24-2018 12:02 AM)ijabbott Wrote:  Assuming the HP Prime G2 uses 528 MHz, and given the other speed advantages of the Cortex-A7 regarding cache usage, it should run a bit faster than the Prime G1's 400 MHz ARM9 processor.

With the Prime using a built-in Lithium rechargeable battery, power usage is less of a concern than if it were using disposable alkaline batteries, so there is the possibility that it'll run at 792MHz anyway (perhaps switchable by an HP-PPL command).

If the G2 is using the consumer grade processor (which I mistakenly referred to as "commercial grade" in my previous post), the next step up from 528 MHz is 900 MHz for this CPU. The CPU supports frequency and voltage scaling, so it would only need to run at top speed during a processor-intensive activity. There are thermal considerations too - if it's running at a higher speed, it's going to get hotter.

Quote:A prime running at almost twice the speed of its predecessor and with an improved CPU architecture is something I would like to see!

As long as it doesn't run at top speed while it is merely waiting for key input!

Quote:The biggest problem is a total absence of bricks & mortar stores selling the Prime, so you can't go and look at what you're buying. You have to rely on online stores actually knowing in the first place and providing accurate information on their websites for you to make an informed choice whether or not to hit that "buy" button.

That's certainly a problem in the UK market. They could compete with the Casio fx-CG50 and fx-CP400 / fx-CG500 if they made the effort. HP UK's educational marketing department seems to be mostly pushing their line of tablet-style notebook PCs. If they could persuade UK shops such as Argos, WH Smith and Ryman to stock the HP Prime, that would be a start! (Ryman already sell the HP 39gII, possibly only online but you can collect them from their stores.)

Quote:I already have two Rev. C Primes but will happily go out and buy a G2 when it becomes available.

I think I'll just stick with the one for now.

— Ian Abbott
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: New Version: 2018.07.06 2.0.0.13865 - ijabbott - 07-24-2018 10:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)