Request, new cmds for communication with educational hardware as it is arduino
02-25-2016, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2016 06:57 AM by debrouxl.)
RE: Request, new cmds for communication with educational hardware as it is arduino
The key factor is that the hardware mentioned here is cheap and wide open for DIY purposes.

You don't connect an expensive StreamSmart or Lab Cradle to the Prime / Nspire. Instead, you leverage some of TI's LaunchPad boards with customizable firmware, or other similarly open and cheap boards which can be made to expose a USB CDC interface on top of a USB VID:PID that the calculator recognizes (knowing that OS patching in RAM, through Ndless 4.2, could technically kill the filtering).

I think it's a good move to keep up with the trends in technology and pricing. TI is implementing the same BASIC commands on the 83PCE/84+CE and the Nspire, providing additional more advanced Lua APIs (Asynchronous Serial Interface, Bluetooth Low Energy) on the Nspire, and defining a de-facto standard.
TI's higher-end, USB-only models are thereby gaining functionality provided on older models through the legacy I/O port, in a more standard way: the legacy I/O port used a relatively slow half-duplex protocol on layer 2.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Request, new cmds for communication with educational hardware as it is arduino - debrouxl - 02-25-2016 06:49 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)