Virtual Calculator as portable app
02-26-2016, 07:31 AM
Virtual Calculator as portable app
Obviously one is not allowed to install programs on the school PC's and System adminstrators have their reasons to minimize the install of software on the school network.
So, I tried to copy the Prime Virtual Calculator folder to a USB-drive and run it from there.
No such luck, unfortunately.

Question: would it be possible to make the virtual calculator in a form that it could be run as a portable app? Maybe establish contact with the people from PortableApps.com to co-operate in this?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-26-2016, 03:14 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2016 09:38 PM by Tim Wessman.)
RE: Virtual Calculator as portable app
It works fine as far as we've ever seen and heard from everyone who's reported they run it that way. There is even code to store the data in the folder rather then a user directory if it detects it is on a removable drive.

What problems are you running in to?

[EDIT] Is this the "windows store" version of the prime app? If so, then yeah... :-(

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
02-26-2016, 03:29 PM
(02-26-2016 07:31 AM)StephanP Wrote:  Obviously one is not allowed to install programs on the school PC's and System adminstrators have their reasons to minimize the install of software on the school network.
So, I tried to copy the Prime Virtual Calculator folder to a USB-drive and run it from there.
No such luck, unfortunately.

Question: would it be possible to make the virtual calculator in a form that it could be run as a portable app? Maybe establish contact with the people from PortableApps.com to co-operate in this?

"Obviously"?

That's a stinging commentary on the current condition in education! Why is it so? Are students untrustworthy? Are school administrators not able to properly manage network security? Are there that many evil people who would jump at the chance to put a virus on a school computer?

Sadly, the interconnectivity of computers gives one careless student or unmindful administrator or evil genius the power to make things harder for all of us.

Good luck finding a solution to the portable app.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-27-2016, 10:22 AM
I also have a copy in my USB-drive and it works fine, but I had to add three dll files: mfc120u.dll, msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll.

These three dll are not in the virtual calculator folder, but in the windows/system32 folder.

I hope this helps.
02-27-2016, 10:29 AM (This post was last modified: 02-27-2016 10:30 AM by StephanP.)
Quote:I also have a copy in my USB-drive and it works fine, but I had to add three dll files: mfc120u.dll, msvcp120.dll and msvcr120.dll.
These three dll are not in the virtual calculator folder, but in the windows/system32 folder.
There we are. Thank you.
02-27-2016, 04:55 PM
Glad you figured it out. Those are c++ redistributable files from microsoft and (especially such old ones) are almost always installaed already on most systems. The installer would install to the system directory, but looks like yours doesn't have it.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)