Why is INPUT such a Rube Goldberg?
12-17-2014, 02:38 PM
RE: Why is INPUT such a Rube Goldberg?
(12-17-2014 01:45 AM)acmeanvil Wrote:  However I have one really big grump with PPL; why is the new INPUT() so convoluted?

Basically, because it lets you do so much...

If you take a look at the INFORM on the 48 series, you'll find the same level of convolution-ness once you get past the basic things. When you are trying to allow the user to create full screen UI elements, it gets hairy really quickly. The other issue with the suggestion you've put forward is that "how does the system treat something like CHKBOX()?". Is that a function? If so, what does it do by itself when not contained in a INPUT command? If it just becomes a "Tag" for identification purposes, then it would require a whole new creation of an object type, handling code everywhere, etc in order to seamlessly work or not work as appropriate.

Now I think your suggestion is good and we did look at or consider doing something like that. For various technical and implementation reasons though it would not have worked out as good as I think you imagine.

What is really needed is a INPUT builder tool, and that is something we can do! :-)

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Why is INPUT such a Rube Goldberg? - Tim Wessman - 12-17-2014 02:38 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)