HP should offer a free hardware upgrade
10-24-2014, 08:04 AM
RE: HP should offer a free hardware upgrade
(10-19-2014 07:44 PM)mop80087 Wrote:  
(10-19-2014 12:55 AM)oldhpfan Wrote:  Just for the history, the HP-25 had a minor bug (as I recall for a couple of very small values it wouldn't calculate sine correctly). We were offered a 'send in the calc for repair' offer. I didn't bother because the bug was so esoteric but later when my 25 stopped charging I got it back with a note that the chip responsible for the bug had been replaced too.

Does the rev c prime have anything else besides the wireless fix? Not sure I'll bother if that's it I knew it didn't work when I bought it...if you didn't need some dongle to make it work than yeah it might be nice...and I don't need calc to calc. As for resale value well by the time I'm through with it it will be worthless anyway unless it's an antique...my 67 is in a box somewhere hope it will be worth a fortune soon Wink.

I understand your point of view, but ...
Most who bought the HP PRIME was to use with USB wireless or with HP StreamSmart 410 (my case) because it was the big publicity of HP and not a simple bug that doesn’t affects practically anyone. If I want to upgrade de hardware I need to send my calculator from Portugal to USA and spend 120€ in DHL practically the some that I spend when I bought. So, sorry but, I don’t understand what you are talking about.

Cumprimentos
Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Diamantino

Well my question was not directed at you!! This thread has lots of posts going back quite a bit in time and I was addressing them and adding my view point. I also asked if there was anything else that was upgraded in the Rev C. which might be of interest to me and others who knew about the wireless problems and didn't care and bought the calculator anyway but might possibly be interested in what the REV C has to offer. I also added to the history mentioned earlier about the HP-35 pointing out how HP once handled a problem with HP-25, I'm not sure why that confused you.
I'm sorry you have problems but hopefully maybe HP will set up somewhere you can send it back in the EU (I have things sent by mail, but it takes 3-4 weeks to get from the U.K. to California, so not much help unless you can live without the calc for a couple of months Sad ).

I have since seen that apparently the C revision has some RF shielding the A does not which is interesting but again I ask is there anything else?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-24-2014, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 10-31-2014 09:45 AM by mop80087.)
Don't worry about it, and I understood what you said, I hope that you understand my point of view.

Cumprimentos
Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Diamantino
10-24-2014, 04:47 PM
Except for the 'Send' capability, the DataStream app and the wireless (classroom-oriented) dongle, both Ver A and Ver C run the same software and produce the same results. This is based solely on my experience with the two that I own and use.

The motherboards are quite different in design and component placement, but they appear to do the same thing when calculating.

As with iOS (for example), perhaps future versions of the software will not be supported on both versions. Only H/P can answer that question.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-24-2014, 06:34 PM
Rather than denigrate the Version A, we should encourage H/P to make the early model into a development platform and release a proper API for it. Maybe even offer an I/O board for it.

Here's the rationale: the "market" for the Prime as evidenced by H/P advertising--mostly in Europe--is the educational user. The Wireless Kit is positioned exclusively for that market as is the data-streaming capability. This renders the Ver A pretty much useless in a school that has implemented the WK, etc.

If the API functions were available only on the Ver A, those of us who might be inclined to dig deeper into the programming would have a proper playground and the school version would be unaffected. As with the iOS app store, 'apps' could be developed for the Prime, vetted by H/P and made available generally.

Naturally this require a focus on the future, and that may not be possible for some folks in Silicon Valley who regard selling over-priced printer cartridges as a virtue in a 21st century USA business.
10-24-2014, 11:53 PM
(10-24-2014 04:47 PM)dbbotkin Wrote:  Except for the 'Send' capability,

The only reason for the "SEND" disappearing was that we had no way to determine at that point what the host on the other end was.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
10-25-2014, 12:49 AM
(10-24-2014 11:53 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  
(10-24-2014 04:47 PM)dbbotkin Wrote:  Except for the 'Send' capability,

The only reason for the "SEND" disappearing was that we had no way to determine at that point what the host on the other end was.
Does that mean 'Send' is not completely dead for Ver A?

Or perhaps there could be an API or more open hardware access for the non-school version? It sure would be nice to do something like what was possible back in the PPC days to create a hobbyist / developer version of the Prime.
10-25-2014, 01:42 PM
(10-25-2014 12:49 AM)dbbotkin Wrote:  
(10-24-2014 11:53 PM)Tim Wessman Wrote:  The only reason for the "SEND" disappearing was that we had no way to determine at that point what the host on the other end was.
Does that mean 'Send' is not completely dead for Ver A?

Or perhaps there could be an API or more open hardware access for the non-school version? It sure would be nice to do something like what was possible back in the PPC days to create a hobbyist / developer version of the Prime.

What will prevent the students from using that version? that will defeat the 'sense of control' the teacher should have (which is kinda stupid because IMHO a well designed test/class should not rely on which device students have, but anyway ...)

My website: erwin.ried.cl
10-25-2014, 03:35 PM
I agree: the measurement of learning should not depend on the device used for calculation on a test. Unfortunately, the timed-test has become the norm, and in that environment, the device matters. (particularly if the test is oriented to the correct answer rather than the reasoning behind it)

It is as if the "educational" establishment in the USA is obsessed with conforming to standardized testing protocols. As a result, the use of developing technologies, calculators like Prime being one of them, are regulated or excluded, perhaps out of a misplaced desire for fairness in an increasingly competitive educational system. As a result we find the USA falling behind in the real-world competition that is driven by actual accomplishment rather than scores on tests.

In the testing environment, it would be possible to identify the capabilities of the Prime calculator and to wipe the memory or exclude functionalities. If the calculator were non-responsive, it would be excluded. My assumption is that Ver A would not be able to work with the WK and hence would be excluded, but that may be a fantasy that relies on the use of standardized calculators furnished by the school.

The deeper question is what value does a society place on "thinking outside the box" and how should divergent thinking be managed in the schoolroom.
10-25-2014, 03:51 PM
Thinking outside the box has high value for the general improvement of mankind, but is a threat for the political powers that be (so-called "elites").
The process of lowering the general thinking and problem solving abilities for most of the population, through sabotaging the education system that most people attend, has been ongoing for decades, and is not about to stop...
10-25-2014, 04:04 PM
It will stop when the average parent abandons the belief that their child is above average.
10-30-2014, 11:12 PM
Well. Here is my story of changing the calculator from A to C hardware revisión.
Sent an email to calcsupport.EMEA@hp.com with a copy of a bill and the serial number.
After checking data, they sent me another email for filling this template:

Model / Part Number:

Serial Number:

Issue:

Customer Name:

Business Name:

Address 1:

Address 2:

City:

State/Region:

Zip/Post Code:

Phone #:

Email Address:

After reviewing my data and issue, they send you another mail with the address in Fort Collins, USA, for returning to their headqarters. For people who live in Spain, I used Genei.es which works with FedEx. Cost: about 18 €.

Once they recieve them, they send you the new unit. In 3 days is back to your home.
However, I had a very unusual problem. I recieved a defective unit: 7 keys didn´t work at all. Fortunately, and with the kind help of Tim Wessman, they sent me another calculator, recieved it 3 days later. This works perfect. Here is the picture:

[Image: 2014-10-30194228_zpsaa33a6c8.jpg]
11-02-2014, 02:03 AM
HELP! Please

I have the DataStream 410 (imported from Europe w/o the battery) and need a replacement battery. What is the part number and where can I get one? Would someone be so kind as to post a picture of the battery and its connector?

{Does anyone else think there is something very odd about a US company making it so difficult to obtain the products currently on sale in Europe? On the H/P website? Nothing about the products all the buzz abroad.}
11-02-2014, 02:22 AM
(11-02-2014 02:03 AM)dbbotkin Wrote:  HELP! Please

I have the DataStream 410 (imported from Europe w/o the battery) and need a replacement battery. What is the part number and where can I get one? Would someone be so kind as to post a picture of the battery and its connector?

{Does anyone else think there is something very odd about a US company making it so difficult to obtain the products currently on sale in Europe? On the H/P website? Nothing about the products all the buzz abroad.}

I think Joe Horn mentioned some time ago that one could use one of the batteries from one of the Samsung phones.

As for HP being quiet … well, all's quiet on the home front, too. I've yet to even see any HP Primes at any of the stores near where I live, let alone any accessories.

Graph 3D | QPI | SolveSys
11-02-2014, 02:33 AM
The Samsung battery works for the Prime, but not for the SS410. It takes a much smaller 3.7VLion with a 4-pin connector on the battery wired to the board in the SS410. The middle two connectors are ground and one of the others is 5V when the USB is connected, but I don't want to "let the smoke out" before I have a chance to try out some sensors.
D
11-02-2014, 09:25 PM
(11-02-2014 02:03 AM)dbbotkin Wrote:  HELP! Please

Hi dbbotkin,

here is a picture for you...

Frank

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

11-02-2014, 10:19 PM
(11-02-2014 02:03 AM)dbbotkin Wrote:  \What is the part number and where can I get one?

There is no part number. It is part of a product and not made nor sold separately.

TW

Although I work for HP, the views and opinions I post here are my own.
11-03-2014, 03:11 AM
Batteries do not last as long as the product should and to not have a source for a replacement seems shortsighted. From the picture it appears the the battery is designed to be replaced at some point. (and also that there is a vendor and a part number, although not to be found on the internet)

Oh well, at least the Prime can use the readily available Samsung LiPo.
11-03-2014, 03:26 AM
Doesn't appear to be too hard to find an equivalent one; here's one on TAS:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/3-7V-2000-mAh-Po...19f0188069

--Bob Prosperi
11-03-2014, 03:31 AM
The battery needs to be max 48x27x17mm and I doubt the "2000mah" claim based on LiPo cells on Hobby King, etc.

That eBay listing won't fit. :-(

Thanks just the same ;-)
05-20-2015, 04:46 PM
I thought the battery was the same as the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini 's battery, but i could be mistaken.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)