HP should offer a free hardware upgrade
10-17-2014, 12:10 PM
RE: HP should offer a free hardware upgrade
Well, I had no luck with HP Support.
Here is the answer from them:

Greetings Jose -

We understand from your email that you have purchased an HP Prime Calculator (model NW280AA) from eBay. As this unit use the Rev A version of the Prime circuitry, you would like to know how to upgrade to the Rev C version of the HP Prime (model G8X92AA).

It must be pointed out that HP does not recognize eBay as an authorized reseller of HP products. As such, the calculator may not be eligible for standard in warranty services such as in warranty replacement, etc.

Unfortunately, HP has no official upgrade program for the HP Prime Calculators (Rev A to Rev C). If the Prime qualified for in warranty replacement due to eg. mechanical failure, a customer would receive the same model as originally purchased.

Thank you for choosing HP

Charlie t

HP Calculator Support

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-17-2014, 12:13 PM
What functionality does Rev C add or fix?
10-17-2014, 01:03 PM
(10-17-2014 07:14 AM)frankymusic Wrote:  
(10-16-2014 11:56 PM)eried Wrote:  Did they shipped the calculator using DHL? how much DHL charged you?

Yes, the Prime was delivered via DHL-Express.

Frank

¬_¬ great... DHL fees for the free replacement will be 100 USD here

My website: erwin.ried.cl
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-17-2014, 04:32 PM
(10-16-2014 08:10 PM)frankymusic Wrote:  ... the e-mail address is:

calcsupport.emea@hp.com

Sounds like an Europe/Middle East/Africa specific email address. Are there other ones for other regions?
10-19-2014, 12:55 AM
Just for the history, the HP-25 had a minor bug (as I recall for a couple of very small values it wouldn't calculate sine correctly). We were offered a 'send in the calc for repair' offer. I didn't bother because the bug was so esoteric but later when my 25 stopped charging I got it back with a note that the chip responsible for the bug had been replaced too.

Does the rev c prime have anything else besides the wireless fix? Not sure I'll bother if that's it I knew it didn't work when I bought it...if you didn't need some dongle to make it work than yeah it might be nice...and I don't need calc to calc. As for resale value well by the time I'm through with it it will be worthless anyway unless it's an antique...my 67 is in a box somewhere hope it will be worth a fortune soon Wink.
10-19-2014, 07:25 PM (This post was last modified: 10-19-2014 07:26 PM by dbbotkin.)
Apparently, they do. IF you have a need for the wireless or SS410 capability and have a sales receipt (one of mine was from Amazon and another from BestBuy), you pay to ship the calculator to H/P and they will send you back one that will work with the above. Expecting an upgrade without a real need for the features it supports seems to ask too much, but the version A was advertised as having the capabilities.

Since eBay does not actually sell anything, the question is whether any upgrade should be available to a subsequent purchaser. In this case, I would hope H/P chooses to stand behind its product.
10-19-2014, 07:44 PM
(10-19-2014 12:55 AM)oldhpfan Wrote:  Just for the history, the HP-25 had a minor bug (as I recall for a couple of very small values it wouldn't calculate sine correctly). We were offered a 'send in the calc for repair' offer. I didn't bother because the bug was so esoteric but later when my 25 stopped charging I got it back with a note that the chip responsible for the bug had been replaced too.

Does the rev c prime have anything else besides the wireless fix? Not sure I'll bother if that's it I knew it didn't work when I bought it...if you didn't need some dongle to make it work than yeah it might be nice...and I don't need calc to calc. As for resale value well by the time I'm through with it it will be worthless anyway unless it's an antique...my 67 is in a box somewhere hope it will be worth a fortune soon Wink.

I understand your point of view, but ...
Most who bought the HP PRIME was to use with USB wireless or with HP StreamSmart 410 (my case) because it was the big publicity of HP and not a simple bug that doesn’t affects practically anyone. If I want to upgrade de hardware I need to send my calculator from Portugal to USA and spend 120€ in DHL practically the some that I spend when I bought. So, sorry but, I don’t understand what you are talking about.

Cumprimentos
Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Diamantino
10-19-2014, 08:18 PM
Oh, that seems completely unfair to the consumer. Surely H/P must have provided a destination within Europe to receive the calculators? The system in the US has two parts: the old calculator gets sent to one place, but the replacement comes from another. Is DHL the only alternative? (I believe there are postal services that send to the US from Europe for about €25.)

The big issue is the lithium battery--air shipment is difficult--so why was H/P asking that the calculator be shipped with the battery?

BTW, the big promotion of the Prime with wireless and SS410 seems not to have been the case in the US. It is impossible to find the SS410 anywhere here and the Wireless Connection Kit" is not even in H/P's stock list although it is in use in Europe.

Just for background, I had bought a TI-nspire, but didn't find it at all useful as a calculator (but, where are the keys?). Then I saw a UK YouTube vid of the HP Prime and the wireless, etc. and I bought the Prime and loved it. Then I learned that its "wireless" went away with a firmware update.
10-19-2014, 08:58 PM
(10-19-2014 08:18 PM)dbbotkin Wrote:  Oh, that seems completely unfair to the consumer. Surely H/P must have provided a destination within Europe to receive the calculators? The system in the US has two parts: the old calculator gets sent to one place, but the replacement comes from another. Is DHL the only alternative? (I believe there are postal services that send to the US from Europe for about €25.)

The big issue is the lithium battery--air shipment is difficult--so why was H/P asking that the calculator be shipped with the battery?

BTW, the big promotion of the Prime with wireless and SS410 seems not to have been the case in the US. It is impossible to find the SS410 anywhere here and the Wireless Connection Kit" is not even in H/P's stock list although it is in use in Europe.

Just for background, I had bought a TI-nspire, but didn't find it at all useful as a calculator (but, where are the keys?). Then I saw a UK YouTube vid of the HP Prime and the wireless, etc. and I bought the Prime and loved it. Then I learned that its "wireless" went away with a firmware update.

Well maybe, but the service must provides a tracking number, so it's more expensive...
And Eried spend 100 USD from Chile, and i think Frank spend 100€ from German, correct if I'm wrong...

HP PRIME it's a very very good calculator, maybe changes the way that the future will see the calculatores, the only thing I would criticize is the commercial part of HP.

Cumprimentos
Best regards/Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Diamantino
10-20-2014, 07:30 PM
(10-19-2014 08:58 PM)mop80087 Wrote:  ... and i think Frank spend 100€ from German, correct if I'm wrong...

DHL parcel from Germany to U.S.A. costs 35 EUR...

Frank
10-20-2014, 09:18 PM
NUTS!!!

I paid 7€10Cent! via Deutsche Post.

It was Luftpost Wertbrief International - i told it to frankymusic.
You can send the prime via air mail with tracking!!!

https://www.deutschepost.de/de/b/briefe-...ional.html

Best regards

HP 33C 34C 11C 41CX 12C 15C HP71B 35s 50g Prime Rev. A, C, D. DM 41X, 42. TI 58C, 59, 74, 92-II, Voyage 200, nspire CX II-T, Sanyo ICC 82D and more
10-20-2014, 11:14 PM
Could somebody explain to me who qualifies for the replacement of HP Prime, please.
Thank you.
10-21-2014, 01:31 AM
Read my posts in this thread yesterday--my purchase was "qualified"--your situation might be different.

This does not appear to be a general recall from h/p as the calculator functionality for everything other than use with the "Wireless Kit" (for schools) and the data-streamer (also educational or hobbyist) is identical.
10-21-2014, 07:30 AM
(10-20-2014 07:30 PM)frankymusic Wrote:  
(10-19-2014 08:58 PM)mop80087 Wrote:  ... and i think Frank spend 100€ from German, correct if I'm wrong...

DHL parcel from Germany to U.S.A. costs 35 EUR...

Frank

Frank, i was wrong, i'm very sorry...

(10-20-2014 09:18 PM)Wolfgang Wrote:  NUTS!!!

I paid 7€10Cent! via Deutsche Post.

It was Luftpost Wertbrief International - i told it to frankymusic.
You can send the prime via air mail with tracking!!!

https://www.deutschepost.de/de/b/briefe-...ional.html

Best regards

And... 7€10Cent it's very good ...well where we learn a lot of thing
10-21-2014, 11:16 AM
I was given his address. Calculator sent. 18 € from Spain. Let´s hope customs don´t stop the item doubt to lithium battery.
10-21-2014, 12:41 PM
(10-21-2014 11:16 AM)akmon Wrote:  I was given his address. Calculator sent. 18 € from Spain. Let´s hope customs don´t stop the item doubt to lithium battery.

in which company do you send it?
10-21-2014, 12:59 PM
Genei.es It´s a company that works with others for an adjusted price.

In this case it´s been sent throught CorreosExpress and FedEx.
10-21-2014, 01:10 PM
(10-21-2014 12:59 PM)akmon Wrote:  Genei.es It´s a company that works with others for an adjusted price.

In this case it´s been sent throught CorreosExpress and FedEx.

gracias
10-21-2014, 04:20 PM
(10-19-2014 07:44 PM)mop80087 Wrote:  If I want to upgrade de hardware I need to send my calculator from Portugal to USA and spend 120€ in DHL practically the some that I spend when I bought.
While it might be easier to negotiate with HP, I'd think you should try your dealer first. He's the one who sold you a faulty product, so he needs to take the Prime back. Of course, since the proof for false advertizing has been removed from the net (I think!), it will be somewhat difficult to communicate the problem. Still, it is his responsibility to get things straight.
10-22-2014, 08:25 AM
In Addition:

The Prime and its tiny Lithium battery as cargo: no problem!

You may find information e.g. here

http://www.iata.org/whatwedo/cargo/dgr/P...eries.aspx

Lithium metal batteries transported as cargo will be restricted to Cargo Aircraft Only from 1 January 2015. The prohibition on the carriage on passenger aircraft only applies to lithium metal batteries when shipped by themselves, and does not apply to batteries packed with equipment or contained in equipment.

HP 33C 34C 11C 41CX 12C 15C HP71B 35s 50g Prime Rev. A, C, D. DM 41X, 42. TI 58C, 59, 74, 92-II, Voyage 200, nspire CX II-T, Sanyo ICC 82D and more

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)