Really?

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2015, 11:24 PM
RE: SwissMicros: it's time for the DM16L
It has a unique function set, after all. Almost no overlap with all the other RPN calculators - and the prizes at TAS for vintage HP-16Cs might drop.

d:-)
Find all posts by this user
12-04-2015, 11:31 PM
(12-04-2015 11:24 PM)walter b Wrote:  It has a unique function set, after all. Almost no overlap with all the other RPN calculators - and the prizes at TAS for vintage HP-16Cs might drop.

Ok, but only few need it. Surely many less than those who wanted back a 15C.

Greetings,
    Massimo

12-04-2015, 11:46 PM
Certamente, Massimo, for certain. But who of us really needs a DM41L? It's a hobby, nothing more, nothing less. Anyway, I placed an order for a DM16L - I want to verify what SwissMicros can make.

Cordialmente - e buona notte

12-04-2015, 11:54 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2015 11:54 PM by Massimo Gnerucci.)
(12-04-2015 11:46 PM)walter b Wrote:  It's a hobby, nothing more, nothing less.
Sure it is...

(12-04-2015 11:46 PM)walter b Wrote:  Anyway, I placed an order for a DM16L - I want to verify what SwissMicros can make.

Cordialmente - e buona notte

Please let us know how you'll feel it.

Gute nacht Walter.

Greetings,
    Massimo

12-10-2015, 04:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-10-2015 04:39 PM by walter b.)
Got my DM16L yesterday. Opened the small parcel and found a very smart packing method - a smaller transparent plastic bag glued to the center of the parcel containing a leather case and the calculator therein; no extra cushioning material needed. Opened the bag (no scissor needed) and pulled out the calculator. Very nice full leather case AFAICS, properly sewn. The DM16L itself consists of a metal back part and a plastic front part. The stamped and pressed back part takes four big rubber feet and looks solid as a tank. Its surface finish feels a bit irritating due to its roughness (etched?) but I may get used to it.

The plastic front takes a metal bezel with a bit strange finish again (like on a fair with merry-go-rounds if you can imagine). The remaining front looks like all plastic but I didn't open it yet. Keys are cuboids from outside view (no slants!). Prints on keys and keyplate are clear. Colors differ a bit from the good old blue-n-gold (the gold is too yellow IMO). Key action is firm and exact with a clearly sensible click. Smile Though I didn't use it heavily so far yet.

Display features more than enough space - only about 60% of its area is really used for numeric output and indicators, so we see quite much empty space and very few pixels employed. Nevertheless, programming is still using the long outdated numeric keycode paradigm Confused - overcoming this would be prio 1 on my wishlist if I'm entitled to wish. We are in 2015 and it would be a shame to skip the opportunities the display offers. Prio 2 would be slanted keys.

Review will be continued when I've opened the calc and found something inside. Wink

12-10-2015, 06:06 PM
(12-10-2015 04:38 PM)walter b Wrote:  Nevertheless, programming is still using the long outdated numeric keycode paradigm - overcoming this would be prio 1 on my wishlist if I'm entitled to wish. We are in 2015 and it would be a shame to skip the opportunities the display offers.

Thank you for the preliminary review!

I'm tempted to order one of these, as I am not being able to acquire an original 16C at all (when I see one, it sells for much more than I am willing to pay).

Concerning the outdated programming paradigm, I agree that it would be nice if we could have proper instruction mnemonics instead of key codes, but again, my understanding is that what they have done was to create an emulator able to run the original HP-16C ROM on it.

Perhaps we will see this feature implemented in the upcoming 43S, who knows?

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-10-2015, 06:18 PM
(12-10-2015 06:06 PM)jebem Wrote:  Concerning the outdated programming paradigm, I agree that it would be nice if we could have proper instruction mnemonics instead of key codes, but again, my understanding is that what they have done was to create an emulator able to run the original HP-16C ROM on it.

It should be possible to interpret the pattern in the display and translate it to the corresponding mnemonic. Some steps along this path must have already been completed as you can see from the translation of 7 segment digits to the nice display fonts.

(12-10-2015 06:06 PM)jebem Wrote:  Perhaps we will see this feature implemented in the upcoming 43S, who knows?

Of course!

Marcus von Cube
Wehrheim, Germany
http://www.mvcsys.de
http://wp34s.sf.net
http://mvcsys.de/doc/basic-compare.html
12-10-2015, 09:21 PM
(12-10-2015 06:06 PM)jebem Wrote:  Perhaps we will see this feature implemented in the upcoming 43S, who knows?

It's already implemented in the WP 34S. And the 43S won't fall back behind that standard.

12-11-2015, 07:14 AM
(12-10-2015 06:06 PM)jebem Wrote:  Concerning the outdated programming paradigm, I agree that it would be nice if we could have proper instruction mnemonics instead of key codes, but again, my understanding is that what they have done was to create an emulator able to run the original HP-16C ROM on it.

Perhaps we will see this feature implemented in the upcoming 43S, who knows?

This feature is already done in the goxx hp emulator series.

See go1xc
12-14-2015, 06:16 PM (This post was last modified: 12-14-2015 06:19 PM by walter b.)
(12-10-2015 04:38 PM)walter b Wrote:  ... The remaining front looks like all plastic but I didn't open it yet. ...
Review will be continued when I've opened the calc and found something inside. Wink

As promised, here is how this calc looks after opening (top right is a vintage HP-16C for comparison):

The procedure is very easy: unscrewing the 4 corner screws will separate front and back. Unscrewing two further screws will separate front and pcb. I can confirm the front part being all plastic. The key matrix is a single piece. As you see, there are all metal domes for the key switches.

Edit: Sorry for the bad picture quality - I took it using my smartphone and its flash.
12-14-2015, 09:34 PM
(12-14-2015 06:16 PM)walter b Wrote:  As promised, here is how this calc looks after opening (top right is a vintage HP-16C for comparison):

Danke schoen, Walter!

Are the key caps made from a single piece attached to the front cover, or are they integrated into a single plastic component that forms both the front cover and the keys?

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-15-2015, 04:23 PM
AFAICS, the front part of the DM16L consists of three pieces: the bezel, the keplate, and the front "chassis". The chassis itself encompasses the front frame and all the keys including their hinges in a single piece of plastic. Bezel and keyplate seem to be glued on the chassis.

12-15-2015, 08:54 PM
(12-15-2015 04:23 PM)walter b Wrote:  AFAICS, the front part of the DM16L consists of three pieces: the bezel, the keplate, and the front "chassis". The chassis itself encompasses the front frame and all the keys including their hinges in a single piece of plastic. Bezel and keyplate seem to be glued on the chassis.

So it had a pioneer-like design. I think it is a good design. It helps to reduce the fixed costs (just s single mold to manufacture. Fortunately Michael decided to use screws instead of heat-stakes!

Let's see if they are able too keep on this way and release pioneer series clones...
12-15-2015, 09:13 PM
(12-15-2015 04:23 PM)walter b Wrote:  AFAICS, the front part of the DM16L consists of three pieces: the bezel, the keplate, and the front "chassis". The chassis itself encompasses the front frame and all the keys including their hinges in a single piece of plastic. Bezel and keyplate seem to be glued on the chassis.

Thanks for sharing the pictures and descriptions on the keyboard!

The keyboard building looks to be first rate and professional.
So it seems that a one man small business can produce a medium cost machine using proper keys - What an achievement!

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

12-15-2015, 10:11 PM
The metal back may well be employed again for a portrait calc as long as the real estate remains unchanged ...

12-15-2015, 10:14 PM
(12-15-2015 10:11 PM)walter b Wrote:  employed again for a portrait calc

Hope dies last... :)

Greetings,
    Massimo

12-16-2015, 10:32 AM
Luckily!

Just assume the keyboard of the HP-30b made slightly smaller - and it would fit on the real estate of a DM1xL. And if I counted pixels correctly, there are 16 in vertical direction on its LCD. Guess 132 horizontally. I feel tempted to make a little design study for a landscape WP 33S ...

12-16-2015, 10:36 AM
AFAIK it's more than one man. Anyway, it's certainly a lot smaller than any other scientific calculator manufacturer on the market I know. Competition should foster progress.

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)