Kermit commands supported by HP50G
09-09-2015, 03:55 AM
Kermit commands supported by HP50G
I have what might seem to be a strange question... oh, wait, you lot have converted HP30Bs into scientific calculators and even got them accredited by a school. Now that's weird.

A linux computer, one USB cable, one HP-50g, Bios version 2.15 (who doesn't have this??), ckermit on the Linux side. HPTalx works too, but I thought I'd go old-school and type into the calculator directly from kermit (and be a little nosey to boot).

Code:
(/home/42/) CKermit> remote directory
{ HOME } 242708.5
Stray 185.5 Directory 29225
That works fine, I get a listing of objects.
One problem I struck? remote cd Stray doesn't work, I get ?Invalid Server Command instead. I even tried remote cd {HOME Stray}, with exactly the same result.

So, what commands are directly implemented in the 50g's firmware for kermit? I've tried using Google to search for that, but I don't have the right google-fu, or nobody's actually tried to find out.

(Post 22)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-09-2015, 05:24 AM
RE: Kermit commands supported by HP50G
Hello,

It has been a long time and I do not remember exactly, but there is a kermit command for executing a command on the remote device. And this one is supported by the 50G. It will allow you to execute { HOME Stray} which will CD in Stray.

Cyrille
Find all posts by this user
09-09-2015, 02:28 PM
Hi,

you might want to have a look at
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/hp48.html
While this is for the HP 48 much may be applicable to the HP 50g as well.

Martin
09-09-2015, 08:20 PM
(09-09-2015 05:24 AM)cyrille de brébisson Wrote:  Hello,

It has been a long time and I do not remember exactly, but there is a kermit command for executing a command on the remote device. And this one is supported by the 50G. It will allow you to execute { HOME Stray} which will CD in Stray.

Cyrille

Yup, it would seem it's in this document that Martin posted a link to. Thanks for that, the both of you.

(09-09-2015 02:28 PM)Martin Hepperle Wrote:  Hi,

you might want to have a look at
http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/hp48.html
While this is for the HP 48 much may be applicable to the HP 50g as well.

Martin

That looks a bit better than the knowledge I currently have. Still tantalisingly sparse though, but it's certainly enough to get an average user by with nothing more than bash, kermit and a connection. Mind you, I suspect that whacking minicom into the mix using Xmodem wouldn't work because I don't know how to initiate a transfer of data. It's been too long since my modeming days.

(Post 23)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
09-10-2015, 10:17 PM
(09-09-2015 08:20 PM)brickviking Wrote:  Yup, it would seem it's in this document that Martin posted a link to.

HP-48 KERMIT PROTOCOL NOTES
Reportedly the following command, rather than REMOTE CD, must be given to the Kermit client to change the HP-48 Kermit server's working directory:
REMOTE HOST { relative_directory_name } EVAL

Cheers
Thomas
09-11-2015, 05:13 PM
(09-09-2015 03:55 AM)brickviking Wrote:  So, what commands are directly implemented in the 50g's firmware for kermit? I've tried using Google to search for that, but I don't have the right google-fu, or nobody's actually tried to find out.

The Kermit command set implemented in the 50g might be the same (or similar) to the set in the HP 48, which is documented in the file called "PACKETS.DOC" on the EduCALC HP 48 Goodies Disk #10. It's also available here: http://www.hpcalc.org/hp48/docs/misc/packets.txt

<0|ɸ|0>
-Joe-

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)