Plus42 Equations, Preview Release
03-02-2022, 07:40 AM
RE: Plus42 Equations, Preview Release
Hey Thomas,
something that may or may not be a bug.
On my mac today i was trying to clean the print using
the CLP option in clear and it was moving me to programming mode, instead of clearing the printout?

Please excuse my ignorance if this is completely normal and i got things mixed up.

Thanks and regards
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-02-2022, 08:21 AM
CLP is Clear Program; when you use it, it shows the PGM catalog, to let you select a program to delete.

There is no function to clear the print-out in the calculator's menus. Rather, it's in the app's menu: Edit → Clear Print-Out in the desktop versions, and in the mobile versions, it's Edit → Clear in the Print-Out view.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-02-2022, 08:24 AM
(03-02-2022 12:10 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  New update:

1. Added DIRECT / NUMERIC setting in the MODES menu, to enable / disable the direct solver. It is enabled by default.
Checked. Works fine.

Quote:I also checked the INTEG situation, and confirmed that when the direct solver generates an inverse during a PLOT or INTEG operation, the generated code is reused for the duration of the entire operation. This means that when INTEG is called by the plot viewer, for a function that is itself calculated using SOLVE, and the operation is very slow, this indicates that the numerical solver is at work, and setting ACC is the right thing to do to speed up the operation.
Good to know.

Thank you for the quick response :-)
03-02-2022, 03:56 PM
New update:

1. STO+, STO-, RCL+, and RCL- didn't work correctly with units. Fixed. (Really, this time!)
2. Added unit support to % and %CH.
03-02-2022, 06:26 PM (This post was last modified: 03-02-2022 06:27 PM by nickapos.)
(03-02-2022 08:21 AM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  CLP is Clear Program; when you use it, it shows the PGM catalog, to let you select a program to delete.

There is no function to clear the print-out in the calculator's menus. Rather, it's in the app's menu: Edit → Clear Print-Out in the desktop versions, and in the mobile versions, it's Edit → Clear in the Print-Out view.

Thank you very much Thomas, i could not find the option i have not used the desktop app much.

Best regards
03-03-2022, 02:55 AM
Hi Thomas,

I haven't had a chance to try Plus42 recently but have downloaded and been playing around with the latest build and... WOW! You've made some really great improvements in the last month or so. I particularly like the addition of plotting and the incorporation of cursors to add some useful interactivity and linkage to graphical elements (like integration regions and roots).

Anyway, sorry for the content-free posting, but I just wanted to send you a bit of fan mail. Once you start releasing this to app stores I hope it proves popular; I know that I will certainly be using it regularly... the feature set is really perfect.

Bob
03-03-2022, 08:11 AM
Thanks! Smile
03-03-2022, 11:04 AM
(03-02-2022 03:56 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  New update:

1. STO+, STO-, RCL+, and RCL- didn't work correctly with units. Fixed. (Really, this time!)
2. Added unit support to % and %CH.
I am having problems with Solver and units.
Does it support units?

How can i input numbers with units without using UNITS menu? tried with "_uom" but could not use it when inputing numbers on stack.
03-03-2022, 12:09 PM
Yes, the solver supports units. What seems to be the problem?

You can spell out units by typing a number, then shift-period, then spell out the unit using the alpha menu.
03-03-2022, 02:58 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2022 02:59 PM by Marco Polo.)
(03-03-2022 12:09 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Yes, the solver supports units. What seems to be the problem?
Equation sample (pump power):

Where:
.- KW is shaft power (unknown, kW)
- VolFl is volumetric flow (20 m3/h)
- BarDP is delta P across pump (2 bar)
- Eff is pump efficiency (0.7, adimensional)

The guesses for KW are inputed with unit (kW)
The result is numerically correct but is given without the unit attached

What i expected was the result with the inputed unit attached

Furthermore, if i want to change one of the variables and input the number without unit, the existing unit in variable is not retained, while the 48 solver does it. This behaviour slows the input in case multiple calculations on the same equation are needed

Quote:You can spell out units by typing a number, then shift-period, then spell out the unit using the alpha menu.
Thank you. Could not find the info....
03-03-2022, 03:20 PM
Hi Thomas, i remember someone discussed custom units and you mentioned that you will look into them.
Has this been included in plus42 so far and is there a reference we could use to create custom units?

Thanks and regards
03-03-2022, 03:36 PM
(03-03-2022 02:58 PM)Marco Polo Wrote:  The result is numerically correct but is given without the unit attached

Ah, I see, it looks like at some point, I rearranged the code that runs when the numerical solver finishes, and now it deletes the unit that was provided with the starting guesses, just before attaching it to the result. I'll have to fix that...

(03-03-2022 02:58 PM)Marco Polo Wrote:  Furthermore, if i want to change one of the variables and input the number without unit, the existing unit in variable is not retained, while the 48 solver does it.

Ah, OK, that sounds like a good idea. But what do you have to do if you specifically want the guess to have no unit?
03-03-2022, 03:38 PM
(03-03-2022 03:20 PM)nickapos Wrote:  Hi Thomas, i remember someone discussed custom units and you mentioned that you will look into them.
Has this been included in plus42 so far and is there a reference we could use to create custom units?

They are on my to-do list, but they may not make it into 1.0.
03-03-2022, 04:32 PM
(03-03-2022 03:38 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(03-03-2022 03:20 PM)nickapos Wrote:  Hi Thomas, i remember someone discussed custom units and you mentioned that you will look into them.

They are on my to-do list, but they may not make it into 1.0.

All right, thank you very much, I was not sure if they were implemented yet or not.

Best regards
03-03-2022, 08:35 PM
(03-03-2022 02:58 PM)Marco Polo Wrote:  The result is numerically correct but is given without the unit attached

Fixed.
03-03-2022, 09:37 PM
(03-03-2022 03:36 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Ah, OK, that sounds like a good idea. But what do you have to do if you specifically want the guess to have no unit?

A guess with no unit, when unit is expected, should lead to an "inconsistent unit" error at solver run
03-03-2022, 09:49 PM
(03-03-2022 08:35 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  [quote='Marco Polo' pid='157741' dateline='1646319526']
Fixed.
Confirmed. It works as expected if the solver is in numerical mode.
If direct mode the solution is not converted to unknown variable unit, but shall be converted by hand

I realized that the kilo prefix is handled correctly if in lower case (ex. kW), but if upper case (ex. KW) it is not recognized as a unit.
Is this the intended behavior ?
03-03-2022, 10:43 PM
(03-03-2022 09:37 PM)Marco Polo Wrote:  
(03-03-2022 03:36 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  Ah, OK, that sounds like a good idea. But what do you have to do if you specifically want the guess to have no unit?

A guess with no unit, when unit is expected, should lead to an "inconsistent unit" error at solver run

That doesn't answer my question. If entering a number without a unit causes the previous unit to be applied, how do you get rid of the unit?
03-03-2022, 11:25 PM
(03-03-2022 09:49 PM)Marco Polo Wrote:  I realized that the kilo prefix is handled correctly if in lower case (ex. kW), but if upper case (ex. KW) it is not recognized as a unit.
Is this the intended behavior ?

Yes. Units and unit prefixes are case sensitive.

I see the 48 does allow K for kilo, although it does normalize it to k. It looks like it only performs this case-insensitive match for prefixes: when I enter 1_w, it does not turn it into 1_W, even though that would be unambiguous, given that it doesn't have a unit called w.
03-04-2022, 07:42 AM (This post was last modified: 03-04-2022 07:47 AM by Marco Polo.)
(03-03-2022 10:43 PM)Thomas Okken Wrote:  
(03-03-2022 09:37 PM)Marco Polo Wrote:  A guess with no unit, when unit is expected, should lead to an "inconsistent unit" error at solver run

That doesn't answer my question. If entering a number without a unit causes the previous unit to be applied, how do you get rid of the unit?
Why would you enter a number without unit when solving an equation with unit?
Just in case (i.e. solving the same equation without units), just delete all the variables.
Or, if a unit was inputted by mistake, just delete the affected variable.

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)