HHC's Evaluate Wood Drying
03-04-2019, 05:14 PM
HHC's Evaluate Wood Drying
An extract from HOW TO USE HAND-HELD COMPUTERS TO EVALUATE WOOD DRYING, USDA (FS), Research Paper NC-263, MAR 1985 (20 pgs).

A gap exists between the theory and practice of industrial wood processing. Wood drying is one area where sophisticated theory and mathematical models have been developed and now need to be put into practice. Hand-held computers are one way of doing it. They have the advantage over larger models of being easily portable and inexpensive, yet they are capable of sophisticated programming …
… Several mathematical models have been developed recently to assist drying operators in developing schedules, evaluating final drying times, and determining basic properties of wood exposed to a particular drying environment. This paper describes several basic drying programs developed for a hand-held computer …

PROGRAMS
Five separate programs written in BASIC have been developed for a Sharp PC 1500 pocket computer (weighing less than 1 lb) with a 3.5K random access memory (RAM). These programs are combined into a program package called DRYPAC …
… EMC, FIT-CURVE, FIT-CURVE A, DRY CURVE 1, DRY CURVE 2 …
… The programs can be used on any small computer using the BASIC programming language having 3.5K RAM, but generally would have to be modified for input/output format and plotting commands …

includes descriptions, illustrations, tables, definitions, equations, example, flowcharts & listings.

BEST!
SlideRule

ps: anyone up for a translation to FOCAL?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-04-2019, 10:05 PM
RE: HHC's Evaluate Wood Drying
This was an interesting read from my perspective as someone who works in water damage restoration.

I wish the same level of scientific rigor was applied to structural drying. Most of the insurance companies we work with (>90% of our jobs are covered insurance claims) stand hard on the idea that, properly performed, all structural water losses can be dried in a three-day period. At the same time they frequently disallow the use of (or more correctly, disallow billing for) specialty drying equipment that can control temperature and humidity levels so make the environment more conducive to structural drying.
03-04-2019, 10:24 PM
(03-04-2019 10:05 PM)Benjer Wrote:  This was an interesting read from my perspective … I wish the same level of scientific rigor was applied to structural drying …

You're welcome: more to come.

BEST!
SlideRule
03-05-2019, 08:29 AM (This post was last modified: 03-05-2019 08:31 AM by Csaba Tizedes.)
(03-04-2019 05:14 PM)SlideRule Wrote:  An extract from HOW TO USE HAND-HELD COMPUTERS TO EVALUATE WOOD DRYING, USDA (FS), Research Paper NC-263, MAR 1985 (20 pgs).

Yeah, just jump to the root directory and search for "calculator", you will found some materials.
And then check the All Treesearch option, and you will get this: 1590 results on 'programmable calculator' - happy reading! Smile

eg. I dunno what is this, but HP-41 stuff on forestry or something else...

Csaba

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)