Sharp PC-G850 BASE-n
09-20-2018, 06:29 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 06:37 PM by Zaphod.)
Sharp PC-G850 BASE-n
I've been playing about with this and discovered the basic premise.

Feel free to add, comment, tidy up and/or disagree:

BASE-N - Initiate the BASE-N program by pressing SHIFT and the BASE-n keys together.

(Not sure what the subsequent 'Basic delete OK' actually deletes)

Pressing 1: Enter new number
Pressing 2: Cycle through decimal,hex,binary (base 10,16 or 2) (You can continue cycling through by repeatedly pressing 2)
Pressing 3: Negates current number (You can toggle by pressing 3 again, and again)
Pressing 4: Arithmetic operations.

Press 1 to enter the number you want to convert (Default base 10), then press the carriage return key.

if you press 2 before this you can cycle through the current base from decimal, hex or binary.
(The current entry base is always shown in the square brackets stage left)
Pressing 2 after the carriage return just cycles through the available bases (10,16 and 2)

Pressing 3 negates the current number (in whatever base you’re currently in)

4 allows you to do arithmetic operations on the current number:
Add, subtract, multiply, divide, AND, OR, NOR, XOR
by pressing the appropriate + - * / A O N X key.
it then allows you to enter the other number, then press carriage return to do the calculation.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
09-20-2018, 06:38 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 06:40 PM by jwhsu.)
RE: Sharp PC-G850 BASE-n
(09-20-2018 06:29 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  I've been playing about with this and discovered the basic premise.

Feel free to add, comment, tidy up and/or disagree:

BASE-N - Initiate the BASE-N program by pressing SHIFT and the BASE-n keys together.

Pressing 1: Enter new number
Pressing 2: Cycle through decimal,hex,binary (base 10,16 or 2) (You can continue cycling through by repeatedly pressing 2)
Pressing 3: Negates current number (You can toggle by pressing 3 again, and again)
Pressing 4: Arithmetic operations.

Press 1 to enter the number you want to convert (Default base 10), then press the carriage return key.

if you press 2 before this you can cycle through the current base from decimal, hex or binary.
(The current entry base is always shown in the square brackets stage left)

Pressing 3 negates the current number (in whatever base you’re currently in)

4 allows you to do arithmetic operations on the current number:
Add, subtract, multiply, divide, AND, OR, NOR, XOR
by pressing the appropriate + - * / A O N X key.
it then allows you to enter the other number, then press carriage return to do the calculation.

That is pretty much what the Japanese manual says about how to use BASE-n. For the 3rd option, it is actually calculating the 2's complement (which is essentially negation). You can also replace the program that is launched with the BASE-n key. The latest version of the manual has a section (Section 3.5) which describes how to use BASE-n.
09-20-2018, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 06:47 PM by Zaphod.)
(09-20-2018 06:38 PM)jwhsu Wrote:  That is pretty much what the Japanese manual says about how to use BASE-n. For the 3rd option, it is actually calculating the 2's complement (which is essentially negation). You can also replace the program that is launched with the BASE-n key. The latest version of the manual has a section (Section 3.5) which describes how to use BASE-n.

Cool, I've never read the Jap version obviously.

I'm struggling to keep up with the version changes on the manual ... and also keep up to date downloading that version change on several devices ... and getting time to read through the damn thing. Big Grin
I did do a search through with 'BASE' as my search term before posting and it came up with nothing?..., so I thought it just isn't in the manual.?
09-20-2018, 08:47 PM
(09-20-2018 06:45 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  
(09-20-2018 06:38 PM)jwhsu Wrote:  That is pretty much what the Japanese manual says about how to use BASE-n. For the 3rd option, it is actually calculating the 2's complement (which is essentially negation). You can also replace the program that is launched with the BASE-n key. The latest version of the manual has a section (Section 3.5) which describes how to use BASE-n.

Cool, I've never read the Jap version obviously.

I'm struggling to keep up with the version changes on the manual ... and also keep up to date downloading that version change on several devices ... and getting time to read through the damn thing. Big Grin
I did do a search through with 'BASE' as my search term before posting and it came up with nothing?..., so I thought it just isn't in the manual.?

Could be you looked at an earlier version. I only posted the latest on (V3.0) 2 days ago.
09-20-2018, 09:52 PM (This post was last modified: 09-20-2018 09:53 PM by Zaphod.)
(09-20-2018 08:47 PM)jwhsu Wrote:  Could be you looked at an earlier version. I only posted the latest on (V3.0) 2 days ago.

I'm sure I downloaded v3 earlier today at work, then searched for 'base' (I'm pretty sure I used the browser search (firefox)) and got 3 unrelated hits and I thought it just hadn't been covered as a result.
Either that or I'm going mad Big Grin
09-21-2018, 01:17 AM
(09-20-2018 09:52 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  
(09-20-2018 08:47 PM)jwhsu Wrote:  Could be you looked at an earlier version. I only posted the latest on (V3.0) 2 days ago.

I'm sure I downloaded v3 earlier today at work, then searched for 'base' (I'm pretty sure I used the browser search (firefox)) and got 3 unrelated hits and I thought it just hadn't been covered as a result.

Just tried searching through the browser (I used Safari). For some reason it only finds the first several of instances of base and misses the rest. Searching in Acrobat Reader finds all instances. Not sure why this is happening (problem with the browser PDF viewer)? So you're not going mad. Smile
08-21-2019, 11:54 PM
(09-21-2018 01:17 AM)jwhsu Wrote:  
(09-20-2018 09:52 PM)Zaphod Wrote:  I'm sure I downloaded v3 earlier today at work, then searched for 'base' (I'm pretty sure I used the browser search (firefox)) and got 3 unrelated hits and I thought it just hadn't been covered as a result.

Just tried searching through the browser (I used Safari). For some reason it only finds the first several of instances of base and misses the rest. Searching in Acrobat Reader finds all instances. Not sure why this is happening (problem with the browser PDF viewer)? So you're not going mad. Smile

Desktop Safari defaults to complete match (equals) rather team partial match (contains) which could be it I guess?

User(s) browsing this thread: 2 Guest(s)