GRSLO CS-82ES Plus Scientific Calculator found at Praia, Cabo Verde
10-08-2017, 05:40 PM
GRSLO CS-82ES Plus Scientific Calculator found at Praia, Cabo Verde
So I'm working on Praia city in Cabo Verde since a couple of weeks ago and almost ready to return to base, and therefore I took this Sunday morning to walk around and do some shopping.

If you know about Cabo Verde you will know that they have one of the worlds best coffees, grown on the Ilha do Fogo (among other good things we can find in these ten islands archipelago, like sunshine beaches, excellent sea food and fresh tasteful fish, and of course the mornas songs).

I was lucky enough to find the real thing in a humble shop and have bought a few Mosteiros's 250g ground coffee packages (these days some coffee beams are imported from Angola to Cabo Verde, as the local plantation is not able to cope with the huge demand. Despite good, for me the Angolan coffee is not at the same level as the Ilha do Fogo production).

I really like the marketing phrase found in the package: "Sabor do vulcão" (taste of the vulcano). Yap, that's why the island itself is called "Fogo".

[Image: 20171007_100928.jpg]

I was curious to see what is the calculator offering in the shops here, but I was not lucky, probably because I didn't visit the right shops during the work days.

Anyhow, after roaming during a couple of hours I found this machine and bought it. It was the last one. The seller told me that the Sharps were gone already and the only scientific machine for sell would be this last Chinese model. Asking price of 1800 VCE - or 18 Euros (similar Chinese machines are sold for just 4 Euros in Portugal).
I didn't dare to ask about the selling price of the Sharp scientific machines. They know what they like here, no matter the asking price.

[Image: 20171008_144217.jpg]

This is yet another Chinese calculator sharing the internal processor architecture with other Chinese brands.

All of them looks like the Casio models they try to copy, and even sports basically the same functions, although we can't say they are clones because the firmware and hardware is specific to these Chinese models.

They are able to work with 16-BCD digits internally, something not featured on the Casio models they try to look like.
The forensics test for this model result is: 8.999999998078897 which is exactly the same one as found on the Hoopson PS-12MS.

[Image: 20171008_144248.jpg] [Image: 20171008_144410.jpg]

Specifications (as found in the blister package):
252 functions (Trig, Hyperbolic, Log/exp, power, Fraction, Sexagesimal, Base-n, 40 constants, Metric conversions, Simultaneous equations, Polynomials, Matrix, Complex, Coordinate conv, Permutation/Combination, Standard Deviation and Regression).
Equation solver.
9 variable memories.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
GRSLO CS-82ES Plus Scientific Calculator found at Praia, Cabo Verde - jebem - 10-08-2017 05:40 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)