Collection of HHC programming contests and other useful documents
10-23-2017, 06:15 AM
RE: Collection of HHC programming contests and other useful documents
(10-22-2017 10:52 PM)EugeneNine Wrote:  Thats what is odd, pasting a magnet link into a bittorrent client never starts the download. But a regular old .torrent does.

Some things to try:
  • Which OS and clients are you trying?
  • Another thing to check might be what ports your setup uses, in particular the ports used for the DHT communications. I manually poked holes through the router firewall, creating a port range for torrenting, and set up that specific port range in the client.
  • Check the Windows firewall if you're using that, or the Linux/MacOS firewall if you're using that. You may have to add exceptions to those for your torrent clients, though that doesn't make sense given you can use plain torrents.
  • Check UPnP's status in the torrent client and router too.

Tixati validates the magnet link right in the dialog box, red for "gotta remove/add something" or green for "Let's go" (a la Lemmings). For everything else I'd suggest a mix of wireshark (to see if the clients are even sending stuff out) and perhaps hexdump on the link you're pasting into the box.

Full debugging would literally be a record of config file for torrent client, and every mouse click and menu interaction, it's surprising how often this turns up a PEBKAC moment.

(Post 123)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-29-2017, 08:39 AM
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:904314493f1b248efc51ac5516b52148cc09663b&dn=hp_calc_torrent

.torrent loaded on my VPS as well, see first post in this thread

Code:

- 2017-10-29
  . added:
    - documents from Math jam
    - Thesis from Stephen Hawking
    - found a document in my downloads about nuclear blast computations for hp67
    - interesting the list of tasks for mental calculation (I added only
      one year, 2016. There are severals available on internet)
  . notes:
    - no progress on http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4804.html
      for userRPL code collection
- 2017-10-22
  . added:
    - a french magazine about calculators (it should be still active)
      and Gilles from the MoHPC forum contributed in some issues.
    - some documents from william kahan.
    - new version userRPL file for notepad++.
  . changed:
    - refactoring some folders.
  . notes:
    - reading: http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4804.html
      no perceived useful pointers seen here: 
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-5756.html

Wikis are great, Contribute :)
Find all posts by this user
10-30-2017, 02:34 PM
2017-10-29
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:904314493f1b248efc51ac5516b52148cc09663b&dn=hp_calc_torrent

the size increased a lot, almost doubled. The value? It depends on your point of view.

Code:

- 2017-10-30
  . added:
    - 15c documents
    - short and sweet math challenges 1-10 pdf
    - hp 71 documents and the attempt to download the hp71 compendium
    - rpl2 sources and binaries (4.1.27)
    - another french magazine suggested on the MoHPC forum.
- 2017-10-29
  . added:
    - documents from Math jam
    - Thesis from Stephen Hawking
    - found a document in my downloads about nuclear blast computations for hp67
    - interesting the list of tasks for mental calculation (I added only
      one year, 2016. There are severals available on internet)
  . notes:
    - no progress on http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-4804.html
      for userRPL code collection
    - interesting search string: site:hpmuseum.org pdf

11-05-2017, 09:00 AM
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:19eea598d47fc3abe2d6751e5f40089f95e1ed63&dn=hp_calc_torrent

little additions this time. As usual, if you know something to add to the collection, please share.

.torrent available on the site mentioned in the first post.

Code:

- 2017-11-05
  . added:
    - notes about the forth implementation for the hp71
    - some extension to the userRPL library.
    - new release listExt for the 50g.
  . notes:
    - finished the previous thread, to read in search of generic user RPL code
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1213.html
- 2017-10-30
  . added:
    - 15c documents
    - short and sweet math challenges 1-10 pdf
    - hp 71 documents and the attempt to download the hp71 compendium
    - rpl2 sources and binaries (4.1.27)
    - another french magazine suggested on the MoHPC forum.
  . notes:
    - interesting casual read: 
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/cgi-sys/cgiwrap/hpmuseum/archv018.cgi?read=135221

11-10-2017, 08:02 PM
In this week I made absolutely no progress to find things to include and likely also the next week will be dry.

From the community any suggestion about what to include?

11-11-2017, 01:40 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 01:56 AM by Dave Frederickson.)
How about a copy of the 64GB HHC 2017 flash drive, given permission. See p.3 of the conference report for info on how you can get one of the drives.

http://hhuc.us/2017/HHC_2017_Conference_Report_V3.pdf
11-11-2017, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 09:01 AM by pier4r.)
(11-11-2017 01:40 AM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  How about a copy of the 64GB HHC 2017 flash drive, given permission. See p.3 of the conference report for info on how you can get one of the drives.

http://hhuc.us/2017/HHC_2017_Conference_Report_V3.pdf

Well it is a possibility but the budget for the next HP related purchase will have to wait. Furthermore I have to resolve the case of the moHPC usb flash drive and if it is lost - as I think - it is likely that I would be risk averse even more. *

But it is an idea for the future.

* therefore in 2017 I would encourage distribution via digital download plus key to open a compressed folder. Then it is a matter of connection stability and the information can be distributed quickly.

11-11-2017, 09:10 AM
(11-11-2017 08:59 AM)pier4r Wrote:  * therefore in 2017 I would encourage distribution via digital download plus key to open a compressed folder. Then it is a matter of connection stability and the information can be distributed quickly.

"Digital download" and "quickly" are not compatible where I live in the French Alps...
11-11-2017, 01:18 PM
(11-11-2017 09:10 AM)Didier Lachieze Wrote:  "Digital download" and "quickly" are not compatible where I live in the French Alps...

That is also true. I would imagine, though, that many here have at least 2-4 mbps flat rates for download. Upload is another world. (I have 50 mbps dl, way less for upload)

So while digital distribution only won't be quick for everyone, for many could be an advantage.

11-12-2017, 12:21 AM (This post was last modified: 11-12-2017 12:24 AM by brickviking.)
It's possible that the HHC2017 USB stick has content on it that roughly mirrors the normal MoHPC content on their USB stick. If that's the case, then supplying this content for free when it's one of the few ways that the MoHPC makes any income could prove a problem for future income to MoHPC. The only fair way to do that in that case would be applying to MoHPC for a key that costs what the normal USB does.

Will someone correct me if I'm wrong?

One other thing involved with distribution of a large file like the USB image is that if I download it, without the key I can't use it. So it's a large lump of digital boat anchor. Making this part of the torrent would mean I'd have to deliberately DEselect it each time the torrent updates. Of course once I have the key, I can do what I like.

(Post 130)

Regards, BrickViking
HP-50g |Casio fx-9750G+ |Casio fx-9750GII (SH4a)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
11-12-2017, 12:55 PM
(11-12-2017 12:21 AM)brickviking Wrote:  One other thing involved with distribution of a large file like the USB image is that if I download it, without the key I can't use it.

This is what I meant. I already mentioned it in a thread related to Jake Schwarz's work.

folder with content -> archived -> encrypted with methods that allow multiple keys (there exists many, one is gnu gpg ).

Distrubute via p2p or http/ftp server. Some will commit bandwidth, some others don't : then at the purchase distribute a single key to the buyer. Relatively easy transaction and I can help to set it up.

Because if the MoHPC drive is lost (as I think, the post does not provide "check the package" services on the saturday, grr! ) one that tends to be risk averse (me) will likely avoid to buy digital contents from far away if the contents could have been delivered also (not only!) via internet.

11-25-2017, 11:42 AM
So when I am out of ideas/willpower I pick a link from this page:
http://www.wiki4hp.com/doku.php?id=resources:start

and I see if I can save the contents.

I wanted to download the articles of Valentin Albillo listed here: https://www.thecalculatorstore.com/epage...s/Articles but they are almost all gone (another point for p2p resiliency)

Does anyone have them? Could them be shared again? Thanks.

11-25-2017, 03:46 PM
(11-25-2017 11:42 AM)pier4r Wrote:  I wanted to download the articles of Valentin Albillo listed here: https://www.thecalculatorstore.com/epage...s/Articles but they are almost all gone (another point for p2p resiliency)

Does anyone have them? Could them be shared again? Thanks.

Did you try searching the forum? Posted earlier this month.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-943...l#pid82610
11-25-2017, 04:20 PM (This post was last modified: 11-25-2017 04:36 PM by pier4r.)
(11-25-2017 03:46 PM)Dave Frederickson Wrote:  Did you try searching the forum? Posted earlier this month.

http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-943...l#pid82610

Missed that. Thanks!

Update:

new release
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:fa3d05d466d2c034cc650d7613f8d0a83508e5d5&dn=hp_calc_torrent

(.torrent available in the links mentioned in the first post)

changelog

Code:

- 2017-11-25
  . added
    - 39gs documents
    - zipped archive that contains programs mentioned in a book of HP wickes
      that was distributed with a floppy disk with the book.
      "I just picked a nice copy of the Bill Wickes book "HP 41/HP 48 Transitions." 
      When the book was published, you could write the publisher to get 
      a floppy disc with all of the book's programs on it."
    - some documents by Valentin Albillo.
      see http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-9090-post-84103.html#pid84103
- 2017-11-05
  . added:
    - notes about the forth implementation for the hp71
    - some extension to the userRPL library.
    - new release listExt for the 50g.
  . notes:
    - finished the previous thread, to read in search of generic user RPL code
      http://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-1213.html

11-28-2017, 04:11 AM
(11-25-2017 04:20 PM)pier4r Wrote:  Update:

new release
magnet:?xt=urn:btih:fa3d05d466d2c034cc650d7613f8d0a83508e5d5&dn=hp_calc_torrent

Tried to download the latest torrent today. It started very slowly (1 seeder) and after about 1/3 complete, it stopped, as it dropped to zero seeders. I assume at least the original source would continue to seed, wouldn't it?

--Bob Prosperi
11-28-2017, 06:02 AM
(11-28-2017 04:11 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Tried to download the latest torrent today. It started very slowly (1 seeder) and after about 1/3 complete, it stopped, as it dropped to zero seeders. I assume at least the original source would continue to seed, wouldn't it?

I added it on the 25th. Holding fast at 27%.
11-28-2017, 08:43 AM
(11-28-2017 04:11 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Tried to download the latest torrent today. It started very slowly (1 seeder) and after about 1/3 complete, it stopped, as it dropped to zero seeders. I assume at least the original source would continue to seed, wouldn't it?

I am continously seeding (since 2-3 days now). Only at 24 Kbytes/s or 184 Kbps because: upload bandwidth, but after a couple of das it should be complete. It is courious that after a while it stops. I wonder why.

I hope the ISP is not killing long connected connections.

Is it the first time it happens? Also if you have previous versions of the torrent, you may download only the difference to speed up the process.

11-28-2017, 02:47 PM
(11-28-2017 08:43 AM)pier4r Wrote:  I am continously seeding (since 2-3 days now). Only at 24 Kbytes/s or 184 Kbps because: upload bandwidth, but after a couple of das it should be complete. It is courious that after a while it stops. I wonder why.

I hope the ISP is not killing long connected connections.

Is it the first time it happens? Also if you have previous versions of the torrent, you may download only the difference to speed up the process.

I downloaded a prior version about a month ago. I have not tried again until yesterday. As I did not realize you simply expand the same set of files each time (a good idea) I moved the original downloads to another place so yesterday's download was from scratch.

Do you know if it's possible to restore the folders/files downloaded originally to the target torrent client download folder and then restart the torrent download? Will it sync and then download only the updated portions?

Hopefully it's not the ISP cutting off, but my download and Dave's seem to have stopped at about the same percentage, so it is suspicious.

Is anyone else having trouble or success?

--Bob Prosperi
11-28-2017, 05:41 PM
if you move the files away, I am not sure how it works, you may need to play around.

Surely the advantage of a torrent (note 1) is that you can select which file you want to download (and also which ones first, you can set the priority on the files) so once you get the metadata of the torrent you can get to the file tab and say "this yes, this no, this complete folder no, etc."

To get first what you like.

I will check tonight the torrent, although I did not remember I changed anything.

any progress in the meanwhile? Like do you at least see a source? My qBittorrent says that there are even 3 other sources other than me.

Could be that qBittorrent at the end was not that good (it is already infuriating when I expand a given torrent). I will have to see.

(note 1): this is similar to the ed2k/emule collections, though torrent is a bit more flexible.

11-28-2017, 06:11 PM
(11-28-2017 02:47 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Is anyone else having trouble or success?

I had no problem finishing the torrent. I see a US & Czech peer downloading from my client now. Given the small number of people hosting the content you may need to leave your client running for a while before picking up a feed.

~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)