Thread Closed 
43s status
01-30-2015, 03:21 PM
RE: 43s status
(01-28-2015 07:28 AM)walter b Wrote:  Sorry, I don't ...

Test post - will be deleted soon.
Find all posts by this user
01-30-2015, 03:24 PM
(01-28-2015 07:24 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  It's a new feature: ...

01-30-2015, 03:25 PM
(01-28-2015 07:21 AM)walter b Wrote:  That's strange, Den: ...

01-30-2015, 03:26 PM
(01-28-2015 06:52 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  So now we're ...

01-30-2015, 03:28 PM
(01-28-2015 06:38 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  Mr. Frederickson; Like ...

01-30-2015, 03:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-09-2015 07:47 AM by walter b.)
To the forum administrator(s)
Please find below the quotes of 8 test posts I've posted right now. Of those, only 3 are displayed in the overview of this thread. I hope this will help you (pl.) finding the error.

d:-)

Edit: I've taken out the quotes of the three test posts correctly displayed - and I've deleted the respective tests posts since they are of no further use (although D.B. will claim they were full of whatever bad and I had deleted them therefore). The five remaining tests posts still don't show up in the overview of this thread after more than two months.

(01-30-2015 03:21 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 07:28 AM)walter b Wrote:  Sorry, I don't ...

(01-30-2015 03:24 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 07:24 AM)Massimo Gnerucci Wrote:  It's a new feature: ...

(01-30-2015 03:25 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 07:21 AM)walter b Wrote:  That's strange, Den: ...

(01-30-2015 03:26 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 06:52 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  So now we're ...

(01-30-2015 03:28 PM)walter b Wrote:  
(01-28-2015 06:38 AM)Den Belillo (Martinez Ca.) Wrote:  Mr. Frederickson; Like ...

(Edited to resolve an ambiguity in a foreign language.)
01-31-2015, 09:39 PM
(01-27-2015 03:30 AM)brouhaha Wrote:  The battery life of the XC42 running Free42 firmware on two AA alkaline cells,

Just curious... did you perform any analysis using AAA cells? My thinking is thinner = better. I realize AAAs won't last as long, but how long would that be?
02-01-2015, 03:53 AM
(01-31-2015 09:39 PM)John Galt Wrote:  Just curious... did you perform any analysis using AAA cells? My thinking is thinner = better. I realize AAAs won't last as long, but how long would that be?

AAA alkaline cells have somewhat less than half the usable capacity of AA alkaline cells (published specs for Energizer E92 AAA and E91 AA).

I made two very crude mockups out of heavy paper, for AA and AAA, with some pennies taped inside to simulate the weight of the calculator other than the batteries, and some actual alkaline cells also taped in place, and the size difference size wasn't very noticeable in my opinion.
04-09-2015, 07:49 AM
That problem still persists after more than two months. Please note my editing in the previous post.

d:-(
04-09-2015, 07:53 AM
Unless I've missed something, there were no substantial news about the 43S for more than 9 weeks. I sincerely hope this project didn't starve. Anybody knowing anything?

d:-?
04-17-2015, 09:37 PM
Eric & Richard, where R U? (was RE: 43s status)
Hmmh, that's really damn silent! Eric and/or Richard, where are you?

04-28-2015, 08:20 AM
Since nobody else seems interested, let me try to summarize the status AFAICS it:
  1. There are one or two prototypes of a 43S with Eric and Richard.
  2. They feature 43 keys in 8 rows (6 to 5 columns) and a really breathtaking LCD.
  3. At least one prototype was (is?) running Free42S for demonstration, though this doesn't exploit the features of the LCD at all.
  4. The prototypes clearly demonstrate that a serious scientific pocket calculator is possible.
  5. There is a concept for a (WP-34S-based) firmware and a UI making use of the LCD. It would allow for softkeys. It would also allow for comfort in dealing with vectors and matrices, as well as for easier program editing, etc. Nevertheless, it's only a concept so far, and it will need great efforts to make it fly - although you can set it up on the WP 34S.
  6. AFAIK, the main obstacle now is to find a proper mechanical home (i.e. case, housing) for the 43S. This home shall comprise:
    • a quality keyboard with slanted click-and-rotate keys,
    • electromagnetic shielding to keep corresponding distortions in and out,
    • robust walls for protecting the LCD.
  7. If said home could be taken from an existing product (like the WP 34S and WP 31S took it from the HP 30B/20B), fulfilling regulatory requirements (like FCC) would be far easier. Else it may be a real challenge (i.e. a problem) since creating it from scratch and getting the paperwork required would be quite expensive.
So it seems there are just two open points. Is there anybody who has some reasonable ideas how to tackle them?

04-28-2015, 12:57 PM
(04-28-2015 08:20 AM)walter b Wrote:  This home shall comprise:
[*]If said home could be taken from an existing product (like the WP 34S and WP 31S took it from the HP 30B/20B), fulfilling regulatory requirements (like FCC) would be far easier. Else it may be a real challenge (i.e. a problem) since creating it from scratch and getting the paperwork required would be quite expensive.
[/list]So it seems there are just two open points. Is there anybody who has some reasonable ideas how to tackle them?

In my point of view, the 2.7" Sharp LCD in the 43S won't fit in any current 'pocket' calculator shell, it's just too big. You'd have to somehow extend the case to fit the LCD, which would defeat the purpose of using a readily available case.
On the other hand, that screen is nearly a perfect fit for the HP48 case opening. A less bulky option would be perhaps a 48GII (lower cost as well).
I know, they are not the kind of boats you like, but I'd rather see a 43S floating in a big ship than sunken in the ocean, don't you agree?

Claudio
04-28-2015, 01:20 PM (This post was last modified: 04-28-2015 04:16 PM by Tugdual.)
(04-28-2015 12:57 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  
(04-28-2015 08:20 AM)walter b Wrote:  This home shall comprise:
[*]If said home could be taken from an existing product (like the WP 34S and WP 31S took it from the HP 30B/20B), fulfilling regulatory requirements (like FCC) would be far easier. Else it may be a real challenge (i.e. a problem) since creating it from scratch and getting the paperwork required would be quite expensive.
[/list]So it seems there are just two open points. Is there anybody who has some reasonable ideas how to tackle them?

In my point of view, the 2.7" Sharp LCD in the 43S won't fit in any current 'pocket' calculator shell, it's just too big. You'd have to somehow extend the case to fit the LCD, which would defeat the purpose of using a readily available case.
On the other hand, that screen is nearly a perfect fit for the HP48 case opening. A less bulky option would be perhaps a 48GII (lower cost as well).
I know, they are not the kind of boats you like, but I'd rather see a 43S floating in a big ship than sunken in the ocean, don't you agree?

Claudio
I support the idea since I have a 48G I would like to reuse (now that I also have a 50g, I think the 48G will take the dust). But then I foresee stickers like the 34s which I don't like...
Naive idea: 3D Printer?
Other idea: kickstart it and get a budget to get it done by a plastic manufacturer?

I know I'm not helping much but replied to be supportive Smile
04-28-2015, 02:34 PM
Me, too. I've got an HP-48SX which doesn't work anyway. Wink But seriously: If we'd jump on this kind of boat, why should anyone be interested in a 43S? Confused IIRC, we don't strive for building a better 50G (the niche of a serious scientific sledge hammer (SSSH) is well taken already).

Instead, we pursuit happiness with a better 42S and 34S, i.e. a serious scientific shirt pocket tool (SSSPT). Smile Better than the 42S due to a better LCD and I/O and more functions and slanted keys, better than the 34S due to a far better LCD and softkeys, better than both due to full customizing. Smile Smile We'd make it worse if we'd increase size significantly. The market is full of battleships - no sense in making one more IMHO.

04-28-2015, 03:11 PM
I happened to read HP's documentation from October about their pending 3D printing technology. They don't give a time frame for its availability but the claimed performance is stunning. Main features compared to today's models include full color per voxel, high strength, good resolution and finish, high speed and moderate cost.

If what they show and claim is correct, double-shot full click-and-rotate keys with any color combination will be trivial. The same applies to the case (they've printed a chain link and lifted an automobile with it).

No, I very much doubt the first units will be priced for hobby / home users (their first laser printer was north of $1E5 *before* inflation). But many companies will leap to get one and I suspect the enthusiastic participants of this fine forum will find access to one or more of them. Then it's a matter of design.

So yes, we still have to wait. But just as for decades we wondered when large flat panel TVs would be available - then they replaced CRT based ones in short order, I suspect the same will be true of the '43s.

Many, many thanks in advance to Eric and the rest of the '43s team!
04-28-2015, 04:21 PM
(04-28-2015 03:11 PM)Jim Horn Wrote:  I happened to read HP's documentation from October about their pending 3D printing technology. They don't give a time frame for its availability but the claimed performance is stunning. Main features compared to today's models include full color per voxel, high strength, good resolution and finish, high speed and moderate cost.

If what they show and claim is correct, double-shot full click-and-rotate keys with any color combination will be trivial. The same applies to the case (they've printed a chain link and lifted an automobile with it).

No, I very much doubt the first units will be priced for hobby / home users (their first laser printer was north of $1E5 *before* inflation). But many companies will leap to get one and I suspect the enthusiastic participants of this fine forum will find access to one or more of them. Then it's a matter of design.

So yes, we still have to wait. But just as for decades we wondered when large flat panel TVs would be available - then they replaced CRT based ones in short order, I suspect the same will be true of the '43s.

Many, many thanks in advance to Eric and the rest of the '43s team!
Are we saying now is a good time to install Blender and start some 3D Modelling?
(BTW, if we could just have spare 3D colored printed keys for the 34s for a start, I would already be much more than happy).
04-28-2015, 05:34 PM
(04-28-2015 02:34 PM)walter b Wrote:  Me, too. I've got an HP-48SX which doesn't work anyway. Wink But seriously: If we'd jump on this kind of boat, why should anyone be interested in a 43S? Confused IIRC, we don't strive for building a better 50G (the niche of a serious scientific sledge hammer (SSSH) is well taken already).

Instead, we pursuit happiness with a better 42S and 34S, i.e. a serious scientific shirt pocket tool (SSSPT). Smile Better than the 42S due to a better LCD and I/O and more functions and slanted keys, better than the 34S due to a far better LCD and softkeys, better than both due to full customizing. Smile Smile We'd make it worse if we'd increase size significantly. The market is full of battleships - no sense in making one more IMHO.

I follow the logic of wanting a pocket calculator (and I agree with it), and yes, 48G size is too big for a pocket, but given the cost and time constraints, it seems the project either gets a case (any case) now and sends out a few prototypes to developers to get the project moving forward, or it will rot for years into obsolescence.
If you can jumpstart development now, perhaps in a couple of years when the firmware is mature, you'll have means to produce a case. Right now it gives the impression that the whole production line stalled until a case is produced.
04-28-2015, 05:51 PM
(04-28-2015 05:34 PM)Claudio L. Wrote:  ... given the cost and time constraints, it seems the project either gets a case (any case) now and sends out a few prototypes to developers to get the project moving forward, or it will rot for years into obsolescence.

I fullheartedly concur. AFAIK, the firmware developers (1, 2, 3) will be more than happy if they'd get one prototype each in a mylar case. Alas, the two hardware developers fell very quiet for quite some months ...

04-28-2015, 06:01 PM
(04-28-2015 08:20 AM)walter b Wrote:  fulfilling regulatory requirements (like FCC)

If the project was offered as a kit those regulatory requirements disappear. Also, users at least for the beta "rev a" would probably tolerate the device being un-cased. 3D printing or other craftsmanship would allow for a variety of case options, tailored to each user.

I'd like mine made of myrtlewood and titanium.
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 3 Guest(s)