State-of-the-art in MCODE Development?
10-01-2015, 10:45 PM
State-of-the-art in MCODE Development?
I haven't written any mcode in a very long time -- last time I did it I was compiling (well, assembling!) it by hand!

What tools (preferably linux-based, but I can deal with windows) exist to compile mcode and put together an extension rom, with the ultimate goal of loading it on an hp41cl?

Thanks,

/ji
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-02-2015, 12:45 AM
RE: State-of-the-art in MCODE Development?
You had best involve Angel in your enquiries. I think he still uses Windows, and produced much/most of the 41CL software.
DA
10-02-2015, 03:03 AM
(10-01-2015 10:45 PM)John Ioannidis Wrote:  I haven't written any mcode in a very long time -- last time I did it I was compiling (well, assembling!) it by hand!

What tools (preferably linux-based, but I can deal with windows) exist to compile mcode and put together an extension rom, with the ultimate goal of loading it on an hp41cl?

Thanks,

/ji

I used SDK41 (available on Warren Furlow's site) for all of my 41CL development.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-02-2015, 08:08 AM
(10-02-2015 12:45 AM)derekamos Wrote:  You had best involve Angel in your enquiries. I think he still uses Windows, and produced much/most of the 41CL software.
DA

Well the CL software is Monte's creation - and he does that superbly well even if he insists he's not a software guy. It's true I've also added some nice contributions to the CL platform but in general all my modules are equally functional on Clonix/NoV's or the MLDL2k - if only at a much slower pace for obvious reasons.

As to the actual tools, afraid I don't have any state-of-the-art recipe. Derek is correct, I mostly use EXCEL to write the code - heresy, I know but you can't beat the move/copy/paste/hyperlink functionality, specially handy when dealing with bank-switched code spread across several pages.

Once the code is ready to go I use macros to compile it into ROM files, and the MLDL2k Manager to produce the MOD files. This software is also used for dis-assembly and further documentation - it does not require the actual MLDL2k unit to run.

What can I say, this arrangement works for me.

Cheers,
ÁM
10-03-2015, 02:42 AM
(10-02-2015 08:08 AM)Ángel Martin Wrote:  What can I say, this arrangement works for me.

And works well, may I add with a smile?

This also answers my long silent question about why you took such great effort to create the superb Excel files documenting the MCODE in such detail. Who knew that they were in fact the very source code from which these ROMs are made?

Traditional approach? No; but as I said, your approach works well Angel!

--Bob Prosperi
10-03-2015, 09:40 AM
(10-01-2015 10:45 PM)John Ioannidis Wrote:  preferably linux-based

There was this announcement a while ago: New MCODE tools available for the HP-41

But I can't access the project on code.google.com anymore.
However it seems that you can still browse the code on Open HUB.
Thus you'll have to compile the project by yourself or might try to contact the developer Håkan Thörngren to get binaries for Linux.

Cheers
Thomas

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)