WTB (reminder): 48 Series Peripherals
04-30-2024, 12:43 PM
WTB (reminder): 48 Series Peripherals
Quick note to say that if you have 48 stuff which I do not yet have in my set, I am interested in purchasing it from you direct for fair pricing, possibly netting you more than what reseller sites will give you after they take their fees.
Please let me know what you plan to part with.

35 - 45 - 65 - 48sx/gx - xpander - dm42
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2024, 01:05 AM
RE: WTB (reminder): 48 Series Peripherals
It would likely increase replies if you listed the items you are looking for, very few of us know what you have in your collection to date.

--Bob Prosperi
05-01-2024, 03:27 AM
Thank you Bob, I had considered that users here may wonder exactly that but it's not as straight-forward as being interested in only what is not currently in my 'museum'. There are common items I may consider if they're nicer than what I have and there are rarer items I'll pass on. Truth be told, this is an addiction I've spent 10k on and I wish it would cease at some point, but hey it's basically my only vice and I enjoy learning what the 48 is capable of.

To that point though, the only bookware I lack from Catalog #73 is Statistics at your Fingertips, I have no D'Zign items and boxed items or even empty boxes and clamshells will usually pique my interests. I do not yet have a boxed 48 Rom version M with receipt.
Even some additional shipping boxes from Educalc would be a nice acquisition as they hold my Sparcom boxes so securely.
There are various manuals I'm still trying to track down, and I'm not interested in any Sparcom cards if they lack their original manual.

(05-01-2024 01:05 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  It would likely increase replies if you listed the items you are looking for, very few of us know what you have in your collection to date.

05-01-2024, 12:06 PM
I think those extra comments help a great deal!!

So, basically you're interested in being approached for essentially any/every 48 item there ever was, if in good and complete condition, and especially if including the box. Wow, that's a lot of items...

There are many kinds of calculator collectors, yours is a narrow, but extremely deep focus: all 48 items, which is both interesting and a deep challenge. I suppose the good news is you didn't pick the 41C family, that quest could go on for decades...

Good luck!!

--Bob Prosperi
05-01-2024, 01:07 PM
Yes, I am certainly interested to learn about every item, however, not necessarily to acquire them. Even the small bits of info I've gathered and distributed has helped a good handful of other people, that is my primary goal with all this. There are several manuals in my set that even Eric the Great has not yet uploaded. Thank you for all your tremendous effort Eric!

05-02-2024, 01:42 AM
(05-01-2024 01:07 PM)carolinahomes Wrote:  There are several manuals in my set that even Eric the Great has not yet uploaded. Thank you for all your tremendous effort Eric!

Why not scan the ones not yet in the literature.hpcalc.org library and submit them to Eric? He can give you technical specs for the raw scans so they can be processed, assembled, and posted there for other collectors and fans to enjoy.

If unable to do the scanning yourself, contact Eric and he can advise on other options.

Keep up the good work of collecting and disseminating 48 items and accessories and information about them. The community is a better place because of folks like you that will spend their time, attention and money to collect and share info for others. Thanks!

--Bob Prosperi
05-02-2024, 05:37 PM
(05-02-2024 01:42 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Why not scan the ones not yet in the literature.hpcalc.org library and submit them to Eric?

Three which I have ready to go are:
Chotkeh, Engineering Fundamentals Review (12mb pdf)
&
SMI, Version 7 User Guide (66mb pdf)
&
Namir Shammas, HP48 RPL (4mb pdf), if Namir permits me to disburse it

I've passed the first two on to others via memory stick, will certainly do so for anyone who asks.

05-03-2024, 02:38 PM
(05-01-2024 01:05 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  ... very few of us know what you have in your collection to date.
I had a moment to consolidate my list, and here it is in a pdf. Any 48 peripheral not listed, especially missing manuals, is of great interest to me at this moment.

(For ease of viewing, I removed all the lines of calculators and ram cards and a few other things from this sheet. I neither plan to sell, buy, nor give away any more ram cards.)

I'll make free copies or scans of anything here which anyone desires if I have the ability to do so. None are for sale, but I may consider even trades.

Attached File(s)
.pdf  HP48woRAM.pdf (Size: 73.4 KB / Downloads: 35)

05-03-2024, 08:31 PM
(05-01-2024 03:27 AM)carolinahomes Wrote:  To that point though, the only bookware I lack from Catalog #73 is Statistics at your Fingertips, I have no D'Zign items and boxed items or even empty boxes and clamshells will usually pique my interests.

The book "Statistics at your Fingertips" by Mark Finkelstein is available on abebooks.com and from Amazon. I've been able to find a number of 48 related books by searching Abe Books with "HP48 calculator" as a search term.

Good luck,
~Mark

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
05-06-2024, 02:10 AM
(05-02-2024 05:37 PM)carolinahomes Wrote:  
(05-02-2024 01:42 AM)rprosperi Wrote:  Why not scan the ones not yet in the literature.hpcalc.org library and submit them to Eric?

Three which I have ready to go are:
Chotkeh, Engineering Fundamentals Review (12mb pdf)
&
SMI, Version 7 User Guide (66mb pdf)
&
Namir Shammas, HP48 RPL (4mb pdf), if Namir permits me to disburse it

I've passed the first two on to others via memory stick, will certainly do so for anyone who asks.

Eric's library already has my HP-48 RPL book, so you are welcome to share the pdf version you scanned (or obtained).

Namir
05-06-2024, 07:16 PM
(05-06-2024 02:10 AM)Namir Wrote:  Eric's library already has my HP-48 RPL book, so you are welcome to share the pdf version you scanned (or obtained).

Namir

Thank you for giving me authorization to share. The book I have is your 'unedited' original. It apparently travelled from Richard, to Adam, to myself. The cover is somewhat humourous, I think I understand what went on with it; and I always enjoy learning the progressions a writer makes as they're compiling the work.

05-07-2024, 11:53 AM
(05-06-2024 07:16 PM)carolinahomes Wrote:  It apparently travelled from Richard, to Adam, to myself.

Close but not quite. It almost certainly went from Richard to Eric to Adam to you, but possibly coming to me between Richard and Eric. It's a small community... Smile

--Bob Prosperi
05-07-2024, 05:29 PM (This post was last modified: 05-07-2024 05:32 PM by Hiwi.)
Do you mean these kind of peripherals?

These are homebuild peripherals or interfaces. From left to right:

- IR printer module with Arduino from Martin Hepperle.
- BCD Interface with Arduino, universal
- BCD Interface for the HP-97S
- Multipurpose Interface with ATmega8 (completly written in Assembler) with Analog Inputs, Digital I/O, PWM an Oled status Display, you can send messages to the Oled.
- Compass/Accelerator Modul with LSM333 and Arduino
- Temperature Modul with LM75 I2C Sensor & Arduino

All Interfaces, except the IR modul are battery powered with 2 or more LiIon cells, charged over a special cable through RS232 connector.
The LiIon Cells are recycled from E-Shishas.

Ralf

/41/48/
05-07-2024, 06:46 PM
(05-07-2024 05:29 PM)Hiwi Wrote:  Do you mean these kind of peripherals?
These are homebuild peripherals or interfaces. From left to right:
All Interfaces, except the IR module are battery powered with 2 or more LiIon cells, charged over a special cable through RS232 connector.

Yes, I would love to learn about all of that, is there any source of documentation for it all?
I had asked about charging through the rs232 connector a month or so ago to no avail, maybe you can help. Can you provide me with a special cable of my own? I have a work-around situation, but this would be so much cleaner. Name your price!

05-08-2024, 09:07 AM
@Hiwi

Here have HP48SX, 48G, 49G, 50G
Like to learn more about your interfaces.
Have some ideas to measure temperatures on open space with
K type temp probes, 4 of them at once so looking for interface solution.
05-08-2024, 02:24 PM (This post was last modified: 05-08-2024 02:26 PM by Hiwi.)
@9aplus

The idea is quite simple:

The electronic part is a mcu like pic, arduino, mega32 etc. which connects to the sensor on one side and on the other side to the HP48. The J or K type thermocoupler need an amplifier and a more sophisticated a/d converter, arduino only supports 10Bit resoulution. An amplifier shifts the voltage from the sensor (-0.3 to 0.6 eg) in a suitbale range for the arduino (0 - 5V)
However the RS232 part is realized with a MAX232.

I case you want to turn on a pump or light i have added a ULN2003 transistor array which triggers a solid state relay, if you need more power.

For temperature measuring i use i2C sensors, but there is a line length limit of about 30cm on the I2C bus, yes you can extend it with bus expander PCF8574 or similar.

A more practical example:

When I needed to take the characteristics of a 5 cylinder 4-stroke model engine (Moki 250) i took 5 simple PT1000 (with opamp) thermocouplers. They can be extended up to 3m.

The software is simple as well. The mcu polls the serial line or has an serial interrupt and reacts on simple commands like:

ON1 => Digitalportpin 1 on
IN4 => read Analogport 4, returns 0...1024
PWM128 => Set PWM to value 128 (dutycycle 50%)
MSGthis is an test => sends message to the display "this is an test"

I always send the delimiter / prefix CHR(13) ...

The mcu then prepares the pins, reads the data sends the data to the HP48 with an "OK" as ACK.

The HP48 uses standard commands like XMIT, BUFFER, SRECV, STIME etc.
The serial line works with 9600 Baud, which is fast enough in most cases.

The software on the HP48 can make a defined amount of readings, set a repeating or non repeating alarm. This is a simple datalogging feature.

I used it to make characteristics of thermocouplers, transistors and other components. The data will be stored in an array and further processed. Plotting graphs or mathematical regressions follow.

I made a simple menue to configure the needed input vlaues with the fantastic menue enhancement in systemPRL from Raymond delTondo, which I use with most of my programs.

Ralf

/41/48/
05-08-2024, 06:45 PM (This post was last modified: 05-09-2024 08:08 AM by 9aplus.)
Thank you Ralf,
for your kind and in detail explanation.
Here considering to use KTA-259J Arduino shield
based on the MAX31855 cold junction compensated thermocouple.

The 4 cylinder petrol engine is final target.
Need some CHT temperature measurement for improvement of engine optimal use.
The thermocouples are limited to J or K type to be mounted under the spark plugs.

Do you mind to share some of your similar example programs on the HP side?
I am new on the HP RPL Smile but at home with C, C++, etc.
If not public, than maybe on dropbox link by PM...

Regards
Djani
05-10-2024, 01:49 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2024 01:50 PM by Hiwi.)
Hi,
yes this is no secret.

Here is a ATMEGA8 I2C LM75 portable single temperture interface.
(written in assembly language)

Here is my datalogger config tool, amount of samples, intervall in seconds and new log or add to existing log

The Code for getting data from the serial line, very simple. Send Command to interface, here just a T with no CR or LF, check for data, get amount of bytes, fetch bytes. Calculate. Calculation for LM75 is just multiply with 0.125.
Doing the calculation on the HP48 is better, so you can define an offset or calibration value.

Here is a sample dataset visualized as scatter plot. 100 mesurements of a PT1000 sensor heated up to 163 degrees and cooling down in an 20 degrees environment.

We can switch to another thread and I can post more code there. This is a classifieds thread :-)

Ralf

/41/48/
05-10-2024, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 05-10-2024 08:25 PM by 9aplus.)
Thank you Ralf,
Another thread is great idea.

Please open and post, guess that can be nice for other users too,
because my browsing and google search results in very limited number of
examples with serial port use, for any kind of real world measurements.
(One using Prime and USB is very nice)

Here what I have for now, thermal printer is missing on the picture.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)