HP-41CL
04-05-2024, 03:19 AM
HP-41CL
Does anyone know if they are going to start producing them again or is it a lost cause. I read their site and it didn't look good.
RH
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
04-05-2024, 04:32 AM (This post was last modified: 04-06-2024 06:57 PM by Monte Dalrymple.)
RE: HP-41CL
(04-05-2024 03:19 AM)knife31 Wrote:  Does anyone know if they are going to start producing them again or is it a lost cause. I read their site and it didn't look good.
RH

The first 41CL boards went out in 2011. During the intervening time I have shipped about one board per week on average. So about once per year I have to invest in a new batch of 50 boards. It has gotten harder and harder to find a source for some of the components, because several of them are either LTB (last-time-buy) or no longer produced (obsolete). One of the programmable logic devices on the 41CL board just went to this status last month.

Because a batch of 50 boards is a significant investment, I prefer to wait until I have three dozen orders in hand before I start buying components. That's why some people have been waiting for over as year for this batch. Right now there are about 60 people on the waiting list for the current batch. So there are only 10 people potentially on the waiting list for a subsequent batch.

I have done some looking, and it looks like I _should_ be able to find enough components for another batch. But after 13 years I wonder if there are still 50 people who might want a board, and that is what keeps me from committing to another batch.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-05-2024, 01:27 PM
(04-05-2024 04:32 AM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  But after 13 years I wonder if there are still 50 people who might want a board, and that is what keeps me from committing to another batch.

I think yes, there are some people on german kleinanzeigen & ebay who are selling your board from time to time for over 400 to 800 Euros! Yes no joke. Same people who make money with the 15CE & and 16CE :-) Contact them.

So there should be a great demand.

Altough the design is 13 years old, this upgrade is the most wanted for any HP41 collector.

I know 10+ people who like to have an 41CL, i have none, it was already soldout. I hope I am one of the 60.

Ralf

/41/48/
04-05-2024, 11:21 PM
Mr. Dalrymple
I'm one of the folks on the list. There are probably 58 in front of me. Good things take time so happy to wait.
Randy
04-06-2024, 02:54 AM
Mr. Dalrymple

I would be happy to put the money up-front for this calculator. Just had a kitchen remodel and the up-front money was a bunch, way more than a HP-41CL. I think other HP folks would be happy to contribute. Anyone who uses and collects HP's would be thrilled to have one.
Randy
04-07-2024, 03:57 AM
(04-06-2024 02:54 AM)knife31 Wrote:  Mr. Dalrymple

I would be happy to put the money up-front for this calculator. Just had a kitchen remodel and the up-front money was a bunch, way more than a HP-41CL. I think other HP folks would be happy to contribute. Anyone who uses and collects HP's would be thrilled to have one.
Randy
I appreciate the offer, but I am not comfortable holding money for some future product. If I die my kids won't know what to do.
04-07-2024, 02:06 PM
I am waiting this for more than two years.

How long time need I still to wait?

I think it is very close to the final day.

HP35 HP45 HP55 HP65 HP67 HP21 HP25 HP29C HP19C HP97 HP10C HP11C HP12C HP15C HP16C HP31E HP32E HP33E HP33C HP34C HP37E HP38E HP38C HP41
04-07-2024, 10:35 PM
(04-05-2024 04:32 AM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  
(04-05-2024 03:19 AM)knife31 Wrote:  Does anyone know if they are going to start producing them again or is it a lost cause. I read their site and it didn't look good.
RH

The first 41CL boards went out in 2011. During the intervening time I have shipped about one board per week on average. So about once per year I have to invest in a new batch of 50 boards. It has gotten harder and harder to find a source for some of the components, because several of them are either LTB (last-time-buy) or no longer produced (obsolete). One of the programmable logic devices on the 41CL board just went to this status last month.

Because a batch of 50 boards is a significant investment, I prefer to wait until I have three dozen orders in hand before I start buying components. That's why some people have been waiting for over as year for this batch. Right now there are about 60 people on the waiting list for the current batch. So there are only 10 people potentially on the waiting list for a subsequent batch.

I have done some looking, and it looks like I _should_ be able to find enough components for another batch. But after 13 years I wonder if there are still 50 people who might want a board, and that is what keeps me from committing to another batch.

Monte, what do you need for a commitment ? I noticed in a later post in this stream you didn't want up front payment. So what's needed for a commitment, a deposit ?

Thanks
John
04-08-2024, 11:46 PM
(04-07-2024 10:35 PM)Johnboy Wrote:  
(04-05-2024 04:32 AM)Monte Dalrymple Wrote:  The first 41CL boards went out in 2011. During the intervening time I have shipped about one board per week on average. So about once per year I have to invest in a new batch of 50 boards. It has gotten harder and harder to find a source for some of the components, because several of them are either LTB (last-time-buy) or no longer produced (obsolete). One of the programmable logic devices on the 41CL board just went to this status last month.

Monte, what do you need for a commitment ? I noticed in a later post in this stream you didn't want up front payment. So what's needed for a commitment, a deposit ?

Thanks
John
Submitting a filled-out order form puts you on the waiting list, which is ordered first-come-first-served. Sending in an email inquiry or otherwise expressing interest will also put you on the waiting list, but after those with an order from. Too many times I have held boards for people who expressed an interest but didn't submit an order form, only to have them back out or never respond.
04-12-2024, 07:15 AM
I've got one of the original CL processors which I'm will to sell since I've not used it in years. It isn't the latest version and the firmware hasn't been updated but it will give you the 41CL experience.

It's currently installed in a tall keys 41C with the serial port (untested) via one of the port covers. I'm happy to sell the complete unit or just the CL module (but seriously, get the module with the port cover port).

Pauli

Assuming I can locate it after are significant relocation -- I expect I can but the relocation was two years ago and I've not needed it since.....

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)