Disable "Last Answer" automatic insertion
03-20-2024, 10:50 PM
Disable "Last Answer" automatic insertion
Hello,

I apologize if this is already documented somewhere, but I could not find such a solution posted.

The HP prime will automatically insert the previous answer "Ans" if an operator is used without a value. I will include a screenshot from the quick start guide.

I would like to disable this functionality if possible.

Thank you! I am new to the prime, so I apologize if there is an obvious answer I am missing.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-21-2024, 03:17 AM
RE: Disable "Last Answer" automatic insertion
This is a standard feature on all TI, Casio and HP graphing calculators that operate in Algebraic or Textbook entry mode. I don't believe there is a way to disable this feature on any of them.
Other than using RPN entry mode, I don't believe there is a way to disable this on the HP Prime.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-21-2024, 03:25 AM
There actually is a way to prevent Ans from appearing automatically. Just key a space first.

Example:
1+2 Enter --> 3
[space][subtract]5 Enter --> -5

This trick works on most calcs that have a space key, including the Prime and the RPL models in algebraic mode.

<0|ΙΈ|0>
-Joe-
03-21-2024, 04:12 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2024 05:51 AM by komame.)
(03-20-2024 10:50 PM)Benjamin Wrote:  The HP prime will automatically insert the previous answer "Ans" if an operator is used without a value. I will include a screenshot from the quick start guide.

I would like to disable this functionality if possible.

What is the reason you want to turn this off? Turning this off in almost all cases will greatly hinder operating on the calculator. The only exception is the situation when you start calculations from a negative value (which Joe gave as an example), where the appearance of Ans may be irritating. In such a situation, the workaround is to use the nagative key [+/-], which is located on the keyboard above [7]. Using [+/-] as a first keypress causes then minus sign to appear without Ans in front.

Piotr Kowalewski
03-21-2024, 04:52 AM
Thanks for the responses. I am familiar with the intended workflow, I personally just don't like using the answer feature. It makes things less readable, and if I am copying a line, answer will be a different value. I don't find it very difficult to just copy the value from the previous line, and keep things discrete.

I personally like to create quotients before populating them, that way, I don't need to use parentheses. On Casio calculators, there is a division button and a separate fraction button to create textbook style quotients. This fraction button does not impart the Ans. (Casios Ans can also be deleted with a single input)

Yes I know I am complaining about a single additional button press, but it is very annoying when I am hit with an unexpected Ans that has to be deleted with 3 backspaces.

Anyway, I have my answer, and I appreciate the help!
03-21-2024, 07:35 AM
(03-21-2024 03:25 AM)Joe Horn Wrote:  There actually is a way to prevent Ans from appearing automatically. Just key a space first.

Example:
1+2 Enter --> 3
[space][subtract]5 Enter --> -5

This trick works on most calcs that have a space key, including the Prime and the RPL models in algebraic mode.

Thanks, this is a reasonable work around.
03-21-2024, 09:20 AM (This post was last modified: 03-21-2024 09:32 AM by StephenG1CMZ.)
The only advantage I can see would be situations where you make a typo in a formula.

If you intended
A*b
But actually entered
*b
The calculator assumes
Ans*b
Giving a result.
A result which changes if you do it again.
Using some value from some previous calculation.
Often that's useful, but perhaps you wanted
"Syntax Error: Missing Operand. Retype"
in preference to:
A number, but not the one you expected

Stephen Lewkowicz (G1CMZ)
https://my.numworks.com/python/steveg1cmz

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)