Plus42 source code
03-08-2024, 03:27 PM
Plus42 source code
When Plus42 first approached release status Thomas said he would keep the mobile parts of the source code closed for about a year to prevent fast copycats of pushing clones to Google Play or the Appstore.

We are now approximately 2 years since that. Are there any plans to publish the full source code?

It would also be a guarantee to be able to keep the project alive if (I hope not but you never know, most of us here have more years behind of them than ahead of them) anything was to happen with Thomas.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
03-08-2024, 04:09 PM
RE: Plus42 source code
I was planning to keep the Android and iOS parts of the Plus42 source code closed source for a year, and then open everything up. That's what I announced when I was in the latter stages of development.

I have decided to sit on those bits of source code longer. The reason: when I released Plus42, I expected a big spike of initial sales, which would then taper off fairly quickly. That would have meant that if I opened up the source after a year, there wouldn't be many sales left for others to poach by undercutting me with my own code.

As it turned out, the initial spike turned out to be much smaller than I had hoped, but sales have continued more steadily than I had expected. The income I'm getting from these continued sales isn't huge, but it is going a long way towards paying my bills, and I can't really afford to lose it. So I feel I need to protect that income by keeping the Android and iOS parts of the code closed source for the time being.

It's statistically very unlikely that I'll drop dead before I feel comfortable opening up all the code, but if that should happen, my heirs can take care of setting the "plus42" GitHub repo back to public.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
03-09-2024, 03:57 AM
I think Free42 is a generous enough gift to everyone and Plus42 is a very well respected flag-ship product at a very reasonable price. I don't see any reason why anyone should expect it to be given away.
03-09-2024, 07:47 AM
Thanks Thomas - a good approach, and with a backup plan too!
03-09-2024, 12:45 PM
Thanks for explaining the background and reasoning Thomas, all quite sensible and understandable. Transparency is important and a key reason you and Free42/Plus42 are so well respected in the community!

Also, despite a shallower launch bump than hoped, it's good to know sales are continuing at a healthy pace and paying bills. Updating and support Plus42, while not easy, sure beats work... Wink

--Bob Prosperi
03-09-2024, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2024 03:50 PM by nickapos.)
This is a great way to monetise an otherwise open project.
If anyone want to see the code they can download the desktop version. I am more than happy to support Thomas by purchasing plus42, he has in the past and still is doing an amazing job.
03-09-2024, 04:48 PM (This post was last modified: 03-09-2024 04:49 PM by johanw.)
(03-09-2024 03:57 AM)Johnh Wrote:  I think Free42 is a generous enough gift to everyone and Plus42 is a very well respected flag-ship product at a very reasonable price. I don't see any reason why anyone should expect it to be given away.

I'm not suggesting that Thomas gives Plus42 away, and I already bought it when it came out. But I've seen projects die this way, and was just curious because I remembered his remarks when Plus42 became closed source.

BTW, I keep advertising it in some HP Facebook groups, I hope it helps.
03-09-2024, 06:38 PM
Don't forget that Thomas already publishes the source of the core and PC GUI. Someone would have to write the Android/iOS shell part again, but I think it could be done with a reasonable effort based on the Free42 variant.
03-10-2024, 02:06 AM
(03-09-2024 06:38 PM)SammysHP Wrote:  Someone would have to write the Android/iOS shell part again, but I think it could be done with a reasonable effort based on the Free42 variant.

Sure, but do we need it so badly as to reinvent the wheel, and thereby reduce Thomas' ability to monetize his work? I'd rather buy the app(s) to support his efforts, which will likely help him with ongoing development and improvements.
03-10-2024, 08:03 AM
(03-10-2024 02:06 AM)brouhaha Wrote:  Sure, but do we need it so badly as to reinvent the wheel, and thereby reduce Thomas' ability to monetize his work? I'd rather buy the app(s) to support his efforts, which will likely help him with ongoing development and improvements.

My post was in the context of the previous discussion in which Thomas wouldn't benefit from the sales anymore.
03-11-2024, 01:45 AM
(03-09-2024 12:45 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Also, despite a shallower launch bump than hoped, it's good to know sales are continuing at a healthy pace and paying bills. Updating and support Plus42, while not easy, sure beats work... Wink

That is true. The pay is rather modest, but the hours are good and the job satisfaction is superb. Smile

(03-09-2024 04:48 PM)johanw Wrote:  BTW, I keep advertising it in some HP Facebook groups, I hope it helps.

Thanks, I do appreciate that. Plus42 is such a niche and low-volume product, I wouldn't even know where to advertise it. Word of mouth is everything.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)