USb Charging & rechargable batteris HP41
02-22-2024, 11:04 AM
USb Charging & rechargable batteris HP41
Hi, I have one of the amazing USB power cables from Diego that plug into one of the ports to power the HP41.

I also have some rechargable N-cells.

Could I charge the N-cells and then use the USB power cable from Diego at the same time and that would keep the N-cells charged (I have NimH and NiCad versions) more or less?

The goal would be to have the calc plugged in while at my desk but when I go to a meeting or somewhere else I can just unplug the USB cable from the port and take the calc with me with charged batteries.

Thank you for any tips!

Cheers

PeterP

Cheers,

PeterP
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-25-2024, 11:48 PM (This post was last modified: 02-25-2024 11:55 PM by jebem.)
RE: USb Charging & rechargable batteris HP41
As far as I know, the HP 41 machines does not have a built in charger.

Therefore an external power supply applied to a I/O Port will not charge batteries installed in a Battery Pack at the back of the calculator.

HP released the 82120A Rechargeable Battery Pack (and an AC Charger) as an alternative to the standard non rechargeable Battery Pack using dry N sized batteries.

What I see people doing since long time ago is to either rebuild these 82120A packs with new NiCd batteries to keep using them, as usually NiCd batteries will soon or later die in leaky way, corroding everything around.

Other alternative is to take a standard Battery Pack, remove the plastic separators inside to have free space (or use a old 82120A cabinet), and do some DIY to build a modern LiPo rechargeable battery pack with just a few of-the-shelf components (LEGO style).

An USB female connector (USB-C for 0.8 EUR), a 3.7V 300mAh LiPo battery (6 EUR), an intelligent LiPo charger with booster 5VDC power output (4 EUR), two "L" shaped strips of spring metal sheet as connectors to the calculator, some wires, glue, and a steady hand to solder tiny pins on the USB connector.

The 5VDC from USB and the 3.7V LiPo battery are connected to the Charger on dedicated pins. The calculator is connected to the Booster 5VDC output of the Charger/Booster.

So the calculator never see the battery.

Therefore this basic solution will not give early warning on battery low to the calculator, as the charger/booster will try to maintain 5VDC at its output until the battery falls bellow the low battery threshold level, and then it is too late as the charger/booster will simply shutdown the 5VDC output power.

Not a huge problem for me, as the calculator have constant memory and I try to charge the battery on a regular basis.

Let us say that 300mAh capacity is huge for such a modest current consumption calculator (7.5mA when pressing keys and running, less than 1mA (typ. 0.3uA) idling (standby), and between 5 and 75uA when powered OFF (sleep).
Unless a card reader is used, that will consume 10 times more.

But even with a card reader, 300mAh is a larger capacity than what the original rechargeable NiCd battery pack could offer (I recall it was about 150mAh or so).

We can always go for a larger LiPo battery, I believe that a 500mAh will fit inside the Battery pack together with the above electronics parts.

Some remarks on the Charger/Booster choice:

- It must be preconfigured for ONE 3.7V LiPo battery.

- The booster output must be 5VDC.
This allows the charger to switch off the booster and bypass the USB 5V to the output when it senses power applied to the USB port.
In this way, the calculator will run from the USB power while the Charger keeps charging the LiPo Battery.

- Choose a lower as possible standby current under no load, to save battery power when the calculator is powered off.
Many modules looks good, but they consume way too much current when idling.
I found a Charge/Booster module using a single IC solution based on a IP5306 intelligent power management IC, that features just 100uA of standby power.

- And choose the highest operation efficiency as possible. The above mentioned IP5306 offers 96% on boost and 97% on charge.

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

02-26-2024, 09:31 AM
Thank you Jose, this is a lot of great info and answers much more than just my initial question, thank you!

Cheers

Peter

Cheers,

PeterP
02-26-2024, 01:28 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2024 01:33 PM by Sylvain Cote.)
Diego's 82120D battery pack ?

Sylvain Côté
02-26-2024, 01:34 PM
(02-26-2024 01:28 PM)Sylvain Cote Wrote:  Diego's 82120D battery pack ?

Recommended!

Greetings,
    Massimo

-+×÷ ↔ left is right and right is wrong
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-26-2024, 02:22 PM (This post was last modified: 02-26-2024 02:24 PM by jebem.)
(02-26-2024 09:31 AM)PeterP Wrote:  Thank you Jose, this is a lot of great info and answers much more than just my initial question, thank you!

Cheers

Peter

Thank you, Peter.

As Sylvain and Massimo have posted above, Diego has an excellent solution, tested and ready made.

I just found out (Thank you Google) that it was extensively covered at the HHC 2023 Convention, by Sylvain.
Here:
HHC 2023: 82120D Rechargeable Battery Pack for HP-41C (Sylvain Côté)

Jose Mesquita
RadioMuseum.org member

02-26-2024, 05:06 PM
I am on the (long) waiting list for numerous units ;-)

Cheers,

PeterP

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)