Transition of pyILPER and CAPASM from the Anaconda Cloud to PyPI
02-01-2024, 10:41 AM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2024 09:44 PM by jsi.)
Transition of pyILPER and CAPASM from the Anaconda Cloud to PyPI
pyILPER requires the following software component for operation:
  • a Python interpreter
  • the Qt GUI framework
  • language bindings that allow Python software to use Qt

CAPASM does only need a Python interpreter to run.

At the time of the first versions of pyILPER, the Anaconda Cloud was the only source from which pyILPER and the software dependencies could be obtained for Windows, mac OS and Linux from a single source. The Miniconda application had to be installed for that purpose.

But times are changing and the situation is now as follows:
  • The Anaconda project seems to have more and more problems with creating reliable ports for Qt. The latest Miniconda installer installs a broken Qt. They do not provide current versions of Qt and also none for macOs M1
  • The Qt Group now officially provides current versions of Qt and the language bindings on the Python Package Index (PyPI) which is the official repository for Python projects. I think these ports are more reliable.
I have therefore decided to make new versions of my python software available only on PyPI.

What does that mean for you?
  • If you need a fresh install of the Python runtime, then install it from PyPI.
  • If you would like to keep a working Anaconda environment (especially if you use an old operating system version) you can try to install the current pyILPER sources. See Installation from GitHub for details. Please note, that running future versions of pyILPER will not be tested for this environment.

Wat are the differences of an Anaconda and PyPI installation?
  • The main difference is that you have to install a Python interpreter first (if you do not already have it) instead of a Miniconda installer. But I do not recommend to use the Python interpreter installed with Miniconda. Linux usually has Python on board and Windows user can install Python from the Microsoft Store very easily. mac OS user can find an universal installer on the Python website.
  • The installation and maintenance of pyILPER and Qt from PyPI is very similar with conda.
See the revised Installation instructions for details.

What are the long-term prospects for pyILPER support?

Unfortunately I don't have access to an Apple M1 system. Therefore I need the support of a mac M1 owner from the community to keep pyILPER on macOS running in the future.

Regards
Joachim
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-01-2024, 03:19 PM
RE: Transition of pyILPER and CAPASM from the Anaconda Cload to PyPI
What are the installation instructions for ARM? (typically raspberry PI >2)

HP71 4TH/ASM & Multimod, HP41CV/X & Nov64d, PILBOX, HP-IL 821.62A & 64A & 66A, Deb11 64b-PC & PI2 3 4 w/ ILPER, VIDEO80, V41 & EMU71, DM41X, HP75D
02-01-2024, 07:48 PM
RE: Transition of pyILPER and CAPASM from the Anaconda Cload to PyPI
(02-01-2024 03:19 PM)floppy Wrote:  What are the installation instructions for ARM? (typically raspberry PI >2)

Raspberry PI OS is Debian Linux based. Thus the instructions for Linux apply. If you use the latest Raspberry PI OS you could try to install the pyILPER deb package provided on GitHub, because it is an architecture independent package.

Please note:
  • i do not test my software on Raspberry Pi
  • the LIFUTILS are not available for Raspberry PI OS as binary distribution. Please see the installation instructions how to build

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)