HP15c CE POGO programming cable
02-08-2024, 02:02 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2024 02:10 PM by Divasson.)
RE: HP15c CE POGO programming cable
If the hp12c’s date of firmware is 2015 or later, it should work and it is worth trying again: inside it is exactly the same machine as the 15c . And with an overlay, there you are with a HP16c.( mine “was born” a hp12c)
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
02-08-2024, 06:05 PM
Alas, my most recent HP 12C's firmware date is from 2009. I may need to go shopping for another calculator now. And I thought I could stop anytime....

Try CC41!
02-08-2024, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 02-08-2024 06:54 PM by Harald.)
I received my parcel from Jose today. Containing an HP12C, an overlay and a cable. Thanks a lot for theses fantastic products!

Since there seems quite open conversation about it, I assume it is ok to mention, using the detailed instructions on Jose's website, I copied the firmware from my 15c CE, patched it, saved the 12c firmware, installed the patched 15c firmware on the 12c and now have a 16c to play with.
I suppose as I bought a calculator with the 15c firmware, it is okay to use it in another machine. So long as I don't sell the modified machine.

Cheers,
Harald
02-09-2024, 09:08 PM
Received my cable and overlay yesterday...

This morning I was able to successfully flash the modified firmware. And also flash an extra 12C (PHA serial#) for use as a dedicated 16C.

Thank you José for the instructions!
02-11-2024, 10:38 AM
I failed miserably at running SAM-BA.

I borrowed my wife's Windows 11 notebook but couldn't install the 2.18 version, the installator just got stuck. Tried the newest version as well but that one crashes immediately at start (and yes, I've tried to run it as Administrator as well). I gave up, I am hopelessly clueless in Windows anyway.

I noticed microchip.com provides Linux builds of SAM-BA as well so I gave them a try. 2.18 starts in basically the same way Jose describes. I could select the appropriate board and connection (/dev/ttyACM0 in my case) but the program freezes right after I press Connect. Inspecting the process I see it hangs on reading from /dev/ttyACM0. I tried 3.7 as well but it's a wholly different beast, driven by a command lines interface and one has to know what they are doing, which unfortunately isn't my case, my experience with the embedded world is zero.

While the failure isn't a problem for me (one of my two CEs came already patched by Jose), still I'd like to learn how to do it myself and on Linux specifically. If anyone went this path, would you please share the know-how? Thanks!
02-11-2024, 12:12 PM (This post was last modified: 02-11-2024 12:14 PM by Mark H. Shin.)
(02-11-2024 10:38 AM)vaklaff Wrote:  I failed miserably at running SAM-BA.

I borrowed my wife's Windows 11 notebook but couldn't install the 2.18 version, the installator just got stuck. ... If anyone went this path, would you please share the know-how? Thanks!

I installed version 2.18 successfully on a Windows 11 machine.

The only thing I can think of that I did, was to right-click the downloaded installer (this is typically in your Downloads folder), select "Properties", and click "Unblock" (lower right of properties window). This is something I do for all downloads, as downloads are automatically flagged as dangerous or "Blocked".

Also, if you are running AV software, temporarily disable it during installation.
02-11-2024, 12:50 PM
(02-11-2024 10:38 AM)vaklaff Wrote:  I noticed microchip.com provides Linux builds of SAM-BA as well so I gave them a try. 2.18 starts in basically the same way Jose describes. I could select the appropriate board and connection (/dev/ttyACM0 in my case) but the program freezes right after I press Connect. Inspecting the process I see it hangs on reading from /dev/ttyACM0.

My Linux knowledge is shallow due to infrequent use, but I do remember you have to add yourself to the group associated with serial devices before you can use them. Search Stack Exchange for details.

Remember kids, "In a democracy, you get the government you deserve."
02-11-2024, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the tips. Unfortunately, none of the failures was a matter of missing permissions.

I definitely don't plan to retry the Windows path. I'd like to use the Linux path where I can debug and fix things but first I need to understand the process. There's where I'm hitting the wall. I simply don't know what I want from SAM-BA to do for me. And in SAM-BA terms. Only then I can run it and debug it, if needed.

But as I said, not a priority thing for me, it was just one of few things thing to try on a rainy day...
02-12-2024, 12:11 AM (This post was last modified: 02-13-2024 12:38 AM by brouhaha.)
I use Linux nearly exclusively, but I was not able to get SAM-BA working on it. I resorted to using SAM-BA on Windows in a VMware, and that worked.

I verified that the Atmel device in boot mode was showing up in lsusb, and I think the permissions were OK, but I'm not 100% certain. I'll look into it in the future.

I'm thinking about writing my own replacement for SAM-BA, in C++ using Qt6 for cross-platform capability, specifically to make it easier to deal with the 2015 and later calculators, such as the newer 12C and the 15C CE. I don't currently plan to support the older ARM-based devices from 2008 to 2015, though maybe those could be added.

Although the SAM-BA protocol is documented by Atmel (now Microchip), I plan to capture traces of the actual USB CDC (virtual serial port) traffic, to see the exact sequences that are used for the SAM4LC. Apparently Atmel made the source code for the SAM4LC bootloader available in the past, but AFAICT since Atmel was acquired by Microchip those have been lost in the shuffle. I haven't sent a support request for them as I shouldn't really need them.
02-12-2024, 11:21 PM
Received the cable. Just updated.
Thank You very much, José.
Perfect instructions.
02-12-2024, 11:36 PM
I also tried SAM-BA v2.18 for Linux without success, even with an old Ubuntu 10.10 as described as working in the documentation.

Finally I used a Windows 10 PC and it worked just fine.

Thanks Divasson for building the cable, JF Garnier and others for the firmware modification.
02-14-2024, 04:11 PM (This post was last modified: 02-14-2024 04:12 PM by Craig Bladow.)
I initially tried all Linux versions of SAM-BA, never getting the second screen after connecting to the calculator. In an effort to see if there were missing dependencies, I launched SAM-BA from the command line and instead of presenting the connection dialog, a command line version was presented. I didn't explore that further but that might work for someone who is exclusively on Linux. I also tried running SAM-BA via PlayOnLinux (which does run emu48) and that didn't work.

Try CC41!
02-14-2024, 06:20 PM
(02-14-2024 04:11 PM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  I launched SAM-BA from the command line and instead of presenting the connection dialog, a command line version was presented. I didn't explore that further but that might work for someone who is exclusively on Linux.

Yes, that's what I tried, without success. I also tried command line as root, to rule out possible device permissions issues, and that didn't work either.
02-16-2024, 03:12 AM (This post was last modified: 02-16-2024 03:14 AM by Craig Bladow.)
(02-08-2024 06:05 PM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  Alas, my most recent HP 12C's firmware date is from 2009. I may need to go shopping for another calculator now. And I thought I could stop anytime....

Try CC41!
02-16-2024, 12:59 PM
(02-16-2024 03:12 AM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  
(02-08-2024 06:05 PM)Craig Bladow Wrote:  Alas, my most recent HP 12C's firmware date is from 2009. I may need to go shopping for another calculator now. And I thought I could stop anytime....

Yeah.... No! I thought that about 50 calculators ago. And then again at 40, and.... well, you get it. Addiction is never pretty...

--Bob Prosperi
02-16-2024, 01:08 PM
(02-16-2024 12:59 PM)rprosperi Wrote:  Addiction is never pretty...

You're right ! But I haven't been treated yet...
[Image: fam15C.jpg]

http://ti58c.phweb.me
http://clones.phweb.me
"No! Do or Do not. There is no try!" [Master Yoda]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-16-2024, 04:16 PM
Any tips on getting the overlay to lay flat?

Try CC41!
02-16-2024, 05:19 PM
This is beating me. When I carefully opened one without pulling it out of the PE envelope, I think it managed to stay flat. As soon as it is pulled it seems to stay stretched.

I have tried to cut the sides - does not work. I have also cut 1mm down. It does not work. I think that enlarging the key holes might work - they are a little tight. In the CAD drawing I have enlarged these holes in all directions for the next batch - if we ever produce it.
02-16-2024, 06:26 PM
I noticed that the overlay fits perfectly on a 12C and an 11C, but it does not fit completely flush on a 15C CE or a 15C LE. I suspect there is a tiny difference in the dimensions, and the overlay was originally modeled on the 12C.
02-16-2024, 06:39 PM
(02-16-2024 06:26 PM)calc_freak Wrote:  I noticed that the overlay fits perfectly on a 12C and an 11C, but it does not fit completely flush on a 15C CE or a 15C LE. I suspect there is a tiny difference in the dimensions, and the overlay was originally modeled on the 12C.

That’s completely right. But I thought the measures were identical!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)