3D HP67 Parts Availability?
01-06-2024, 08:21 PM (This post was last modified: 01-07-2024 03:18 AM by jftman.)
3D HP67 Parts Availability?
My HP67 suffered leaking battery gases sometime in it’s life before it landed with me.
The card reader motor mount plate became brittle and has broken from reinstalling the motor.
Gluing it has not proved fruitful as the worm gear now binds up when the screws are tightened.

It would be great if this part was made with a 3D printer. I see gears and case battery covers here and there.
The plate became chalky and just scrapping it lightly removes a powder like material.
I think the motor was installed not quite seated in the circular ring flat and then the mount just cracked apart.

If someOne can or has knowledge of a spare or doing 3D printing has the means that would be very good!

I do not know how a model program is created to 3D print, but I bet it isn’t as easy like on STAR TREK, with beams of laser light and into a graphic program, but hay if it was we would see many more 3D printed parts fast!
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
01-10-2024, 03:30 PM
RE: 3D HP67 Parts Availability?
Hi,

I've created a few 3D printed parts and also some for HP Calculators. Having worked on the HP-67 card reader and restoring a few over the past, I think the tricky bit will be the mounting of the card reader's head. This appears to be glued/epoxied in place and there's also a small ball-bearing at the end of the stem of the worm gear.

I'll see if it would be possible to model this and get back to you.

Kind Regards,
Bas van Reeuwijk

(01-06-2024 08:21 PM)jftman Wrote:  My HP67 suffered leaking battery gases sometime in it’s life before it landed with me.
The card reader motor mount plate became brittle and has broken from reinstalling the motor.
Gluing it has not proved fruitful as the worm gear now binds up when the screws are tightened.

It would be great if this part was made with a 3D printer. I see gears and case battery covers here and there.
The plate became chalky and just scrapping it lightly removes a powder like material.
I think the motor was installed not quite seated in the circular ring flat and then the mount just cracked apart.

If someOne can or has knowledge of a spare or doing 3D printing has the means that would be very good!

I do not know how a model program is created to 3D print, but I bet it isn’t as easy like on STAR TREK, with beams of laser light and into a graphic program, but hay if it was we would see many more 3D printed parts fast!

35 | 45 | 55 | 65 | 10 | 19C | 21 | 25 | 29C | 34E Ir | 41C | 33E | 33C | 34C | 67 | 41CV | 41CX | 71B | 75B | 10C | 11C | 12C | 15C | 16C | 41CL | DM41X | DM16L
01-10-2024, 05:23 PM
Big Big Wow.
Sounds amazing.
01-12-2024, 10:11 PM (This post was last modified: 01-12-2024 10:16 PM by hibiki.)
I have not done any HP calculator parts yet in my 3D printer (Ender 3, well I made an abacus Soroban, 17 digits). I printed only a reel fishing part that is plastic. I use the OpenScad to draw parts and it is free and not hard to learn drawing parts. In fact, you are not drawing, but programming commands to make geometrical forms and glueing them ou cutting from another piece to generate what you want.

For gears, coils, helix, pulleys, reels, etc there are a lot of file drawings alreadybavailable in Thingsverse site, as the drawings are parametric, you can easily modify sizes, number of teeth and other features.

My calcs: HP12C, HP15C, HP17BII+, HP20S, HP20B, HP32SII, HP34C, HP35S, HP42S, HP48GX.
01-14-2024, 01:51 PM
So, I took a stab at modelling the part and so far its going in the right direction

35 | 45 | 55 | 65 | 10 | 19C | 21 | 25 | 29C | 34E Ir | 41C | 33E | 33C | 34C | 67 | 41CV | 41CX | 71B | 75B | 10C | 11C | 12C | 15C | 16C | 41CL | DM41X | DM16L
01-14-2024, 05:03 PM
Nice.
I hope someOne here has reinstalled the reader head into a donor tray.
Having a method for setting the height and center point is critical.
If the only choice is epoxy.
How about a sleeve system.? To make adjustments, then redos would only require a changed sleeve.

I do not know if there is a shelf made in the original part where the head fits just so, given that the head has sides that are made straight and to specs, length, width, height.

I wouldn’t think at the factory these heads were glued in without a gig of some fashion, but rather a shelf idea NOT a gapped hole.

Your deck looks awesome.!
01-15-2024, 10:02 AM
This thread interests me because I am shortly going to re-install the head in my HP67 card reader. My overzealous cleaning dislodged the head, but I noticed how the head was attached in place. The heads and photos I have looked at show the head is centrally positioned in the mounting slot, but I needed to know how the head face was in relation to the card slot floor.
Measuring my HP97 card reader showed its head was just above the slot floor by 0.4mm (I hope my measurement was good.) I wonder if anyone can verify this?
There are 3 small holes into the head slot through which some RTV type adhesive was injected.
I am waiting on some shim to hold my head in place and plan to inject some E6000 glue to mount the head.
Peter

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

01-16-2024, 07:44 PM
Almost looks like a shim made to go completely around the head and pressed fit, .02 millimeters bigger than the opening, similar to watch repair tolerances could leave the head tight and able to be nudged either up and down.

Assured that the light pressure on the card is less than the head tension against the sleeve.
Overall like a cylinder head sleeve.
Though the sleeve would be somewhat slim, it’s depth would give it strength to be inserted into the opening.

So, two tolerances. 0.02 inside for a snug fit on tge head,
Two hundredths of a millimeter outside for a snug fit in the deck.

The part can be made that orients the head in the center x, y.
The Z is operator determined.
01-16-2024, 07:58 PM
I'm currently experimenting with a small O-ring to fill the gap on both X and Y dimension and it looks to fix the head enough while retaining some flexibility in moving the Z axes.

I have yet to try mounting the motor and gear.

Tomorrow I will have some photos.

Regards,
Bas

01-16-2024, 08:08 PM
Can’t wait!
I glued my broken in three places motor mount and got it reading and writing, but I can’t tighten the top two screws, Ha.

I have another reader equipped HP where one of the screws must have been locktighted permanent stuff, I damaged the screw so much I need to drill it out.

Combined reasons that these parts can be wanted, suppose I have to break the darn thing to get the motor out?
I don’t think these screws need to be reefed. The motor is a good fit as designed.
There can’t be much torque generated by the gear drive!

Definitely I will purchase this set from You!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)