HP 85 tape cartridge
12-23-2023, 01:42 PM
HP 85 tape cartridge
Dear all,

I am repairing the tape drive from my HP 85. I am looking for an original HP 85 tape cartridge to test it. Does anyone of you has a cartridge to be sold, with or without data?

Kind regards,
Henk Schellen
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2023, 02:40 PM
RE: HP 85 tape cartridge
Most HP 85 owners don't go down that rabbit hole anymore.

Check out the EBKTS board that is available from fliptronics for the HP 80 series computers.

Google is your friend.

Save yourself a lot of grief. Even if you were to find that media the drive bands in the cartridge are so old and deteriorated they will break almost immediately.

Don't ask me I just lurk here.
12-23-2023, 07:34 PM
If you're refurbishing your tape drive because you like the nostalgic whir of the tape reels then I suggest you make the modifications so that the drive will accept QIC-40 tape cartridges. The newer QIC-40 cartridges still appear to be readily available.

If modifying the drive seems too daunting might I recommend Larry Atherton if he is still performing refurbs. https://www.ebay.com/str/latechrenewal
12-24-2023, 02:41 PM
Dear all,

I refurbished the tape capstan. I put back the tape drive and now the computer does not power up again. Even the power up led does not light up. I checked the fuse, but it seems ok. I am wondering what went wrong and hope this is not the end of my HP 85.
Does anyone of you have an idea what might have gone wrong and if there is a way of repair. Is there someone in The Netherlands who might be able to look after it?
Thanks for your reply.

Kindest regards,
Henk Schellen

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)