Magnetic card inserted in opposite side by Dummy
12-23-2023, 02:20 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2023 02:23 AM by jftman.)
Magnetic card inserted in opposite side by Dummy
Me Dummy, Calculator Dyslexia.
When finishing a gummy wheel repair I put a card into the slot to get a feel for the pressure on it, as it come in contact with the innards on it’s path.

But my poor brain! Why I inserted the card into the opposite end on the left side instead of the right side IDK…….

The motor does not move in operation and could I have done damage with my mistake.
I confess, I have made this gummy repair but I never removed the motor to know if the gears and rubber stuff is all clear. But since I did have Card Dyslexia I am uncertain what I may have done. Absolute damage? The switch plate was designed to guide the from the proper side.
Idiot PROOF?
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-23-2023, 02:44 AM
RE: Magnetic card inserted in opposite side by Dummy
I think you will find that no damage was done. The only contact point with the card would have been the drive wheel. If you pushed in further, the card would have just contacted the nylon actuator balls and maybe the side load springs, neither of which should be an issue.

If you remove the motor (2 screws) then you can push a card through and feel the pressure it takes to do so.

There will most likely be residue from the gummy wheel dotted around the card reader so it is wise to clean it all out. Be "very" careful disassembling the reader or the nylon balls and idler roller may fall out and disappear into the never never.

cheers

Tony
12-23-2023, 03:05 AM
(12-23-2023 02:44 AM)teenix Wrote:  I think you will find that no damage was done. The only contact point with the card would have been the drive wheel. If you pushed in further, the card would have just contacted the nylon actuator balls and maybe the side load springs, neither of which should be an issue.

If you remove the motor (2 screws) then you can push a card through and feel the pressure it takes to do so.

There will most likely be residue from the gummy wheel dotted around the card reader so it is wise to clean it all out. Be "very" careful disassembling the reader or the nylon balls and idler roller may fall out and disappear into the never never.

cheers

Tony
What is the best practice to test run the motor found when doing a card reader repair, ie. Gummy wheel? Uncovering misaligned parts, and rubbing, and stuck motors?
I have read cautions about using the leads connected to the charging block bcuz of feeding power through components.
For people that have power supplies and can dial in a minimum voltage, can the leads be safely used or is unsoldering the VE+ from the motor still required to isolate the motor?
Will the motor run if no faults are present on 1.5volts?
12-23-2023, 04:17 AM
(12-23-2023 03:05 AM)jftman Wrote:  Will the motor run if no faults are present on 1.5volts?

Yes, maybe a little slower than normal. Maybe take a photo for reference, then disconnect the red and black wires. They might pull out from tiny sockets on the circuit board, or you have to unsolder them, best from the motor.

It should run from 1.5V but slower than normal. Around 2.4V seems to be the normal running voltage. Make sure you know where +ve and -ve was before connecting power.

cheers

Tony
12-23-2023, 10:57 AM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2023 01:43 PM by jftman.)
Going in and there are two default keys, A and D that do not respond. So will be cleaning there.

Motor runs. Cards won't go through
Any even light pressure on the worm gear shaft ma
kes the wheel stop.
Does that mean the clutch needs help?

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)