HP65 charging pins out of position and not fully secure
12-22-2023, 08:08 PM (This post was last modified: 12-23-2023 02:23 AM by jftman.)
HP65 charging pins out of position and not fully secure
I received an HP65 calculator and it needed some tear down and cleaning.
When received it had mostly dots across the display through the center from left to right. Numbers would show here and there.

I did a gummy job with O rings but I think the motor needs to be manually moved bcuz after assembling the card does not turn the motor on.

I thought maybe putting the charger into the port might do something.
Well the two outboard pins wiggle a little and must be leaning a bit towards the top side.

I can’t line up the three holes onto the pins.
First, this calculator is an HP65 and had no charger just a case. I am using the charger used with my HP67, and am pretty sure there is no real difference in the make up of the pin positions, so this HP67 and one with an HP65 are interchangable.

So, is there something I can get to inside to fix those wobbling pins with say, soldering? I fidle by tilting the plug hoping that if I get it in and leave it in for like a week, with no power………that the pins may become aligned and stay, but really they can be moved with a tweezer and are unlikely to bend and stay!!

It a repair or replacement must be done. Anybody know the cause and the fix?
65 on top, 67 below it. Sorry focus is not good for both.
Calculator now works as a calculator, so my tear down helped. A couple wires on the card reader pcb, were partially severed at the joint. May have been me moving it about, or from another tear down.
I was happy when it started working. Cleaned and lubed switches too.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-22-2023, 10:26 PM (This post was last modified: 12-22-2023 10:35 PM by teenix.)
RE: HP65 charging pins out of position and not fully secure
Nice job getting it going again.

I'm not sure if there is anything you can do except glue the loose pins in position. I'm not 100% but I think the pins were set in position when the plastic was molded or pressed in afterwards.

It is possible that the wiring was re-soldered at some point and the plastic softened causing the pins to become loose.

If they are loose, they might come out completely unless they have some protrusions stopping the pin from slipping out. If they do slip out, then you can apply some glue around the base of the pin, and re-insert it, preferably with the charger plug in place so the pins stay lined up while the glue sets. You don't want glue in the plastic holes, or it might smear on the pin causing connection problems.

After the glue sets, you may be able to carefully pour a small amount of hard setting glue into the pin well so there is a bit of support from the other side of housing. Not too much or the charger plug might not locate properly.

Looking at Tony Duell's diagrams, the charger for the 65 and 67 are the same.

The wire breaks are mentioned in my Classic Notes PDF on page 45.

cheers

Tony
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)