HP Prime Bug: CAS Polar Form Complex Number Copy-Paste
11-27-2023, 04:00 PM
HP Prime Bug: CAS Polar Form Complex Number Copy-Paste
In the latest HP Prime firmware (20230413) there is a serious bug that leads to wrong results when copy-pasting calculations involving polar form complex numbers in the CAS view.

The bug can easily be reproduced as follows:

First, a calculation involving polar form complex numbers is input into the entry line in CAS mode:

Next, "Enter" is pressed to successfully display the input and result of the operation. So far, so good:

However, if the previous input is copied and pasted from the history, a wrong result with missing brackets is returned to the entry line. This pasted result does not contain the proper brackets around the polar form complex numbers, making the arguments and magnitudes ill-defined:

As expected, trying to run this pasted command leads to a syntax error:

This bug appears to affect all CAS calculations that include complex numbers entered in polar form. Sometimes it is still possible to run the pasted commands, but in such cases the command result is still wrong because the previously entered brackets are missing, which leads to different arguments and magnitudes due to a different order of operations.

I would greatly appreciate it if this bug was resolved in the next firmware update as I frequently use complex numbers in complex form. Unfortunately I was not able to find an official bug tracker for the HP Prime, so please send me the link if such a tracker exists.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2023, 10:22 PM
RE: HP Prime Bug: CAS Polar Form Complex Number Copy-Paste
Indeed, this is a bug. At first glance, it may look similar to [copy bug].
However, upon closer analysis, it appears to be an entirely different case.
I'll report it.

Thanks.
12-04-2023, 08:35 AM
RE: HP Prime Bug: CAS Polar Form Complex Number Copy-Paste
Just found this bug out today and it was driving me crazy doing my EE homework. Thanks for reporting.

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)