Hp 67 card reader axle pin seated fully.?
11-23-2023, 03:38 PM
Hp 67 card reader axle pin seated fully.?
I replaced a gummy wheel with two O rings and have slapped it together.
I did the test of inserting a mag card to feel for any pressure after the first eighth inch contacting the roller etc.
I get good results. The card hits, stops, moves inward with gentle force =all good!
I did not put a battery on the motor leads (one N cell is the suggested charge).

But……..I put the axle pin in with a finger press, and see that the gear looks straight and engages the worm gear so, it appears ready.

I can turn the axle pin, which is normal since it it a ‘cam’ to eccentrically adjust the clearance and card tension, as I understand. THOUGH after screwing everything between the reader and floor plate, I noticed……..

The axle pin is not flush against the reader housing. There is about 1/16- 1.5 sixteenth gap. Does this mean that I can push it in further?
I can’t imagine that the far end is not inserted where it needs to be because I can turn tge axle pin using a thin screw driver both directions, but putting inward force it does not want to clise the gap.

Have I messed up?
ThankYou for what I can try or have assurance with.
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
11-23-2023, 05:21 PM
RE: Hp 67 card reader axle pin seated fully.?
I'm more with the HP-97 but IIRC it is normal there is a gap - in the 67 also.
If you push it in most cases you feel the "snap" as it gets in the guidance hole on the opposite side.

That you can turn it with a tool (screwdriver) is ok as you want to adjust the excentric cam if needed. That's the reason it has the slot outside.

If the cam turns when you feed a card wouldn't be ok though.

Andi
11-23-2023, 08:32 PM
Since there may be debris or damage to the eccentric tip, it's best to examine under magnification. And test fit the axle WITHOUT the drive roller installed to visually check the proper fit. If OK, then disassemble, mount the drive roller, then reassemble.

-J
11-23-2023, 10:11 PM
It looks about right, it normally sticks out about a millimeter.

There is a picture of one in situ from a HP-67 on page 39 of my Classic Notes PDF file.

If you are unsure, remove the pin and place it across the top of the housing and you should see the same result when the inner edge of the cam end is in line with the inner plastic wall where it normally passes through.

cheers

Tony
11-23-2023, 10:22 PM
(11-23-2023 10:11 PM)teenix Wrote:  It looks about right, it normally sticks out about a millimeter.

There is a picture of one in situ from a HP-67 on page 39 of my Classic Notes PDF file.

If you are unsure, remove the pin and place it across the top of the housing and you should see the same result when the inner edge of the cam end is in line with the inner plastic wall where it normally passes through.

cheers

Tony
ThankYou. I tried looking on the frame for evidence that the pin left an imprint as in being butted against but wasn’t really able to tell.

I had it all together and found out it doesn’t turn on.
Purchased as ‘untested’.
I posted a fresh thread just now.
Regarding Slider Switches and Trace Damage- HELPPPPP,!

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)