HP-25 statistics weirdness
10-09-2023, 12:27 PM
HP-25 statistics weirdness
Ever notice the HP-25 does not accumulate the y^2 value in a stat register? Makes things like computing r^2 for linear regression a chore as you have to account for it in your code on data entry. Also, RCL Sigma+ is not allowed - making our fearless pilot Mr. Sweeny hit a couple of extra keys - not to mention having to remember where SigmaX and SigmaY are stored.

Doing a little research, I found the HP-25 is unique in this. It's predecessor, the HP-55 has both y^2 and RCL Sigma+, and so does it's successors, the HP29C and the HP-33E/C. The HP-27 has y^2 but lacks RCL Sigma+.

I presume all this weirdness is due to space imitations? And yet the 25 has percentage and NOP ?

-J
Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
10-09-2023, 08:37 PM
RE: HP-25 statistics weirdness
I could imagine that \(\sum y\) and \(\sum xy\) can still be useful in case of a frequency table.
You can interpret \(y\) as frequency and \(x\) as value.

The mean is then:

\(
\bar{x} = \frac{\sum xy}{\sum y}
\)

Example:
\(
\begin{array}{|c|c|}
\hline
Frequency & Value \\
\hline
3 & 7 \\
5 & 11 \\
2 & 13 \\
\hline
\end{array}
\)

CLEAR REG
3 ENTER 7 \(\Sigma +\)
5 ENTER 11 \(\Sigma +\)
2 ENTER 13 \(\Sigma +\)

RCL 5
RCL 4
\(\div\)

10-09-2023, 09:31 PM
BTW,

How did you get the sigma symbols to display in your post?
I looked and could not find that in the editor.

-J
10-09-2023, 11:50 PM (This post was last modified: 10-09-2023 11:55 PM by Thomas Klemm.)
You can hit the [Image: postbit_quote.gif] button on any post to see the code.
In this case it is embedded LaTeX, or specifically \sum for the \(\sum\) sign.
Or then \Sigma + for \(\Sigma +\).
10-10-2023, 01:18 AM
(10-09-2023 12:27 PM)John Garza (3665) Wrote:  Ever notice the HP-25 does not accumulate the y^2 value in a stat register? Makes things like computing r^2 for linear regression a chore as you have to account for it in your code on data entry. Also, RCL Sigma+ is not allowed - making our fearless pilot Mr. Sweeny hit a couple of extra keys - not to mention having to remember where SigmaX and SigmaY are stored.

Doing a little research, I found the HP-25 is unique in this. It's predecessor, the HP-55 has both y^2 and RCL Sigma+, and so does it's successors, the HP29C and the HP-33E/C. The HP-27 has y^2 but lacks RCL Sigma+.

I presume all this weirdness is due to space imitations? And yet the 25 has percentage and NOP ?

-J

I believe you are correct about why that feature was not included. As William C Wickes has said on other HP calculator projects when asked why a feature was missing from a particular model, "Life is short and ROM is full". In the case of the HP-25, this is literally true. There was no room left in the HP-25's ROM to add *any* feature unless you removed a feature or were able to further optimize the code to make more room.
https://www.hpmuseum.org/forum/thread-85...l#pid74865

I suspect they put a higher priority on the percentage and NOP functions than on accumulating the y^2 value in a statistics register. Considering the HP-25 didn't start out as a programmable calculator, I think they did an amazing job including the features they did in the very limited ROM space they had available.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)